“Awesome place, great staff!”

Sao Miguel Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Ponta Delgada
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel had a great setting. It was close to a couple parks and downtown was only a few blocks away. The staff was very accomodating- especially when we couldn't figure out how to turn on the lights! Haha Free continental breakfast as well!

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Tara H

Reviewed May 20, 2014

they let us go to the room when we arrived at 10am , big rooms for cuplle with cildrens, its a perfect hotel price quality the best., in this island we want to rest after a long and a tired day and this hotel is a good choice for family

Room Tip: larger and clean
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank paulo f
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sao Miguel Park Hotel for 5 nights. We came to this property on a Groupon deal so we didn't know what to expect. The hotel is PERFECTLY situated within a short walk into town for shopping and dining but set back enough to be quiet. It has a good deal of amenities, including a fitness center, 2 pools, whirlpool, sauna, restaurant, bar, and gift shop. A free breakfast is provided each morning in the restaurant, which my husband thoroughly enjoyed. I found the choices to be very limited but it was just enough to get us going in the morning before starting our day. We did not try the dinner buffet but were told by some locals that it was actually quite good. The bar was fine but a little pricey compared to others in the area. Both the indoor and outdoor pools were lovely and the outdoor one was never crowded. There is a rule about wearing bathing caps in both pools, whirlpool, and sauna (for both men and women), which (along with our limited time on the island) prevented us from enjoying those particular amenities that we would normally use. As many others reviewers have said, the hotel décor is dated. The tile, carpet, drapes, furniture and bedding all are worn and in desperate need of replacement. When we first arrived, I noticed it immediately. I think this is the only reason I could not give the hotel a perfect rating. If you can overlook this, the hotel's strong point is definitely it's location and level of service. The management and staff are friendly and attentive. I emailed in advance to request a room with an ocean view and balcony because we were celebrating both a special birthday and anniversary. When we arrived we found to our delight that we had been placed on the 6th floor (top) with a lovely balcony with both city and ocean view. Our room was perfectly clean and there was a small refrigerator and safe for our use. There is an energy-saving system in place for power in the rooms that requires that a key must stay inserted in a wall outlet by the door to keep the power on (both lights and air conditioning). This was not a problem for us, although it did mean having to wait for the room to cool off again upon our return from a long outing. A couple times we had to use our spare key to keep the power on while we were gone in order to keep our refrigerator on and our food/drink cold. The balcony was such a nice bonus for us and we used it frequently to enjoy the view and a nice glass of wine. The staff at the front desk was always friendly and helpful with arranging tours or calling a taxi. I will caution you though that you should handle your currency exchange in advance and/or outside of the hotel, as the front desk was NOT willing to exchange our USD (with the exception of $20 only once when we were there). We had not exchanged enough prior to our arrival, assuming that exchange at the hotel would be available. This was the only issue in which we found the front desk staff to be stern and unwaivering. We happened to run short on funds late one day prior to the next day being a bank holiday and it proved to be a little problematic. We fortunately found several ATMs in town and some restaurants (although not all) accepted credit cards.

All in all, our stay at the Sao Miguel Park Hotel was wonderful. If some care was taken to update the hotel furnishings and fixtures, it would be a 5 star place. From what we saw, it seems that many of the other properties in the area are in the same general condition. The location and most staff we encountered were excellent. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Babetha297
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed for 5 nights. THe hotel is a few blocks off the main drag, but not a bad walk. The rooms were clean and had a balcony. The desk staff spoke great english and were super helpful suggesting local places to eat and helping out. We had a tour issue and they got it straightened out. Unfortunatly it was too cold for the pool, but it looked nice!

the only critism was Breakfast was ordinairy and there was no variation. The coffee was the worst in the Azores. and the bar prizes were double the rest of the town. Don't bother drinking there go one block down and you get it for 1/2 price with local flair!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank D B
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed here in March and thought it was a perfectly fine hotel. Yes, the beds are two twins pushed together, but that is very typical for Europe. The breakfast buffet was large and plentiful with lots of options. Ponta Delgada doesn't really have any places to stop for breakfast, not even pastry shops. The hotel staff helped us book a reservation for one of the restaurants in Furnas which was fun. The rooms are fine and remind me of something along the lines of a Holiday Inn. The shower was great and always hot. They don't have conditioner so you might want to bring that. The lobby does have wifi but you have to be standing in the right spot. We found it difficult to get wifi on the whole island and were always surprised at the places that did have it. We enjoyed our stay and if we were to go back to Sao Miguel, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kmgass
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The proximity to downtown and to the new mall with grocery store was amazing. It was about a 5 minute walk to the new mall Parque Atlantico which is where I got free wifi in the food court. There was also free wifi in a small shopping center ,SolMar, which is by the harbor and was a little hard to find until I walked into it by accident. That and downtown are about a 10-15 walk. I had trouble finding ice, as I have always heard about Europe, but forgot about it. I was able to get two cubes on the flight over, and the hotel charged more for ice than beer, wine, and about as much as a salad. Not a bad thing, just letting you know ice is hard to come by. The hotel staff was great and set up my tours. I am roughly 6'2" and I found the beds a little uncomfortable. Two small beds pushed together with some small blankets and not the softest in the world. I felt I was just too big for one and it was awkward having two with dip in the middle. Besides that, shower pressure was great and hot and everything else was superb, especially for the price. Would absolutely stay again. Also, my room view overlooked the pool towards the harbor and was spectacular when the rains came in.

Room Tip: My room faced East and could see Southeast to the harbor and could see the mountain near Furnas.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank TravelinJash
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed for a week in April which I now know is the quiet season, the main season beginning in June. I agree that the hotel decor is a little tired but actually it became irrelevent given the brilliant location overlooking Ponta Delgada harbour and the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. I only had bed and breakfast, choosing to eat out in the evening and actually the day trips which I did included a midday meal which was more than adequate as a main meal. The breakfast was ok.
Because it was out of season I never had a problem with using the spa facilities but I can imagine that it could be an issue later in the season with the locals using it. On Ponta Delgada in general, there was one day when a Celebrity cruise liner with 2800 guests docked and all available coaches and minibuses were booked in advance making it very difficult to book trips.

Room Tip: Corner room had very large balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
#9 of 23 in Ponta Delgada
Caloura Hotel Resort
Caloura Hotel Resort
#8 of 41 in Sao Miguel

Been to Sao Miguel Park Hotel? Share your experiences!