“Fine hotel and location”

Sao Miguel Park Hotel
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ponta Delgada
Burlington, Massachusetts
“Fine hotel and location”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

The San Miguel Park Hotel in Ponta Delgada was very fine location for our six-night stay in early March. It is clean, modern, well-equipped and efficient. They offered early check-in (very early since our flight arrived at 7am) and honored an email request for a top-floor room. The room had two twin beds pushed together (I think they offer some doubles), and had a few condition issues which did not affect our use, though there was no clock in the room. There is a safe and small refrigerator. The bathroom was large and comfortable with plenty of hot water, but bring your own conditioner and tissues. We paid to have wi-fi in room about $37 for the week, otherwise you can use wi-fi or the computers in the lobby for free.
Breakfast was included and is good quality and plentiful, served buffet style in a white-tablecloth ballroom. If you don't like the European-style offerings there is cereal, yogurt, fruit, scrambled eggs, pastries, local jam, etc. It is a much higher quality than most US hotels' continental breakfast.
There is a well-equipped gym and we used the sauna and steam room (Turkish bath) which were excellent. The indoor and outdoor pools looked nice (you must use a bathing cap so bring one or pay 5 euros at the hotel). The Jacuzzi was not hot but very bubbly. I think the facilities are used as a health club by locals which may affect level of crowding.
The hotel is quiet and has free parking. You can walk to the main part of town and many restaurants in less than ten minutes, and it is a 20 minute walk to marinas for whale-watching. Also in walking distance, Jardem Antonio Borges (Garden), Gruta do Carvao (Cave), Fort Sao Bras and Military Museum, and the beautiful squares and churches.

Room Tip: Higher floors for the view. Either side.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VeeKaye

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
Modesto
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The front desk was very helpful in arranging tours. The free wifi in the lobby was a little slow, but workable. The rooms were clean and there was a small refrigerator and safe. They had a Jacuzzi, Turkish bath, sauna, and pool. It was walking distance to the city and I loved the balcony. The breakfast buffet was fine. We tried to find an American style breakfast in town and they don't eat like we do, so the hotel's buffet was as close as we could get. I prefer coffee and tea hotter, but there was a large variety of food with white tablecloths on the tables. The water in the shower/bath was nice and hot. We used a Groupon which included air/room/breakfast and it was a very good deal. We enjoyed the trip.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view with balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ModestoSusan
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Taking into context the minimalist theme of the country, this hotel was perfect. The staff was very helpful and nice. The free breakfast was plentiful and well maintained and offered the best of what is typical of this island's food fare. The location allowed us to walk everywhere and was close to marina for tours if desired. Our rental car was delivered to hotel, added bonus. ( Nuno, our futurismo tour guide was excellent and accommodating and asked us our preferences before continuing on, so it felt like a private tour. )Beds are comfortable, although mostly twins are offered. Upper rooms better for views. Bar was open all the time and drinks were inexpensive, music played and there was a limited snack menu and popcorn was given to all free. It also had a television.Cons were the indoor pool was mostly for exercise programs and bathing caps were necessary. Also, the lunch buffet was plentiful but overpriced, considering the extremely affordable prices in the area restaurants. The computer in the lobby was avail for use as needed with sign in info issued at front desk. The island is a great geo tourist destination. Check out the lava caves within walking distance if hotel. Explore tea plantation and liquor factories as well as the more known landmarks. We went in march, very little island activity. enjoy the cow cycle and the intensity of the religious undertones that shape the Azoreans. One of the most primal and remote places I've been, loved it immensely . I traveled with my 19 yr old son and there were not too many young people on this island. Hard to stick to the two bottle per person USA travel limit with all the wonderful fruit liquors . The rice pudding flavored creme liquor was a hit with all. Remember, most shops are closed both sat. And sun. So keep that in mind .Willing to answer more questions.

Stayed March 2014
7 Thank wilparkmom
boston
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This hotel is located near the heart of Ponta Delgada. It is within walking distance to the port and the restaurants nearby. The lobby is modern and bright and the staff was very helpful. I arrived at 7 am with check-in being in the afternoon. I was prepared to ask that they hold my bags and instead they told me that my room was ready. I was so appreciative that they essentially gave me a free day.
The lows - the carpet throughou the hotel is desperately in need of being changed. Because of this, I never felt comfortable taking off my shoes while I was there which made me uncomfortable. The rooms are no frills and perhaps a step above a hostel but the beds were generally comfortable. The bathrooms were modern and nice and the showers were hot, just the way that I like.
Breakfast - I went once and never went back. Traveling to another country, breakfast is always the time of day that makes me miss home as every culture is different about breakfast. The Portugese/European breakfast tends to not be heavy and consist mainly of just bread (think table bread at a restaurant). People also eat deli meats with the bread but not in a sandwhich way, almost like a side. For those of us who do not eat like this or who do not eat meat this is a struggle. The hotel offered eggs which left a lot to be desired. Also fresh juices are not to be found other than pineapple. Thus, if you are considering buying the all inclusive package and you are American, you may be disappointed at breakfast. That being said it really is difficult to find breakfast outside of a hotel. Most people I was told just eat at home and not at cafes the way we do. In fact, the cafes were not open in the mornings and the ones that we found did not offer much other than espressos and black or green tea.
Wifi is not free but I had no issue connecting from my room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank meleetyme
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just returned from a week at the Sao Miguel Park Hotel. The hotel is just average and needs some updating but you can't beat it for the price. There aren't any extras like: lotion, conditioner, full length mirror, etc. However, if you take off the plastic mattress cover, the beds are pretty comfortable and overall, the hotel is clean. The pros are: very nice staff, beautiful views from the balcony and lots of english channels on tv. The breakfast is just okay, nothing special and the same offering every day: fruit, cereal, yogurt, bread, eggs, bacon, coffee, juice. Overall, the Azores are spectacular and should not be missed!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Shannon M
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2014

2/24/14- I returned back from Sao Miguel Park Hotel in Ponta Delgada, Portugal yesterday! The room was okay, my friend didn't like the noticeable stains on the floor but to me it was not a huge deal breaker. The view from the balcony was great! Staff needs to interact with their guests more... it makes a huge difference in our overall opinion of our stay with you. I think they need to provide their feedback of restaurants they've been to and offer suggestions without the guest always asking for places to try. Oh and the breakfast was something I just couldn't get used to... didn't enjoy it at all. Just some things I noticed but overall, because of the pleasantness of the locals, it was an awesome trip!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and near the elevators but we heard very little (if any) noise. Either the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sid S
Fall River, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed at Sao Miguel Park Hotel October 2013. Overall the hotel is great. The location is perfect. You can virtually walk everywhere. I did rent a car and was able to explore the rest of the island (definitely recommended). Breakfast buffet was included and was very good. Dinner buffet is overpriced. Go out and explore different restaurants in the area that are fairly priced and are more authentic.

Cons- rooms and hallways are a bit dated

I truly enjoyed my stay. The staff was also great. I would definitely return!

Room Tip: All rooms are ok.. Spend as little time in your room as possible! So much to explore within walking...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
#4 of 22 in Ponta Delgada
Lince Azores Great Hotel
Lince Azores Great Hotel
#8 of 22 in Ponta Delgada

Been to Sao Miguel Park Hotel? Share your experiences!