“Atlantic View”

Hotel Marina Atlantico
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Ponta Delgada
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks and enjoyed it! We had a sea view room at 4th floor. What a view! The public pool, the marina, the marina bar area and the great Atlantic ocean. The rooms are well sized, clean and well keept. The balcony is the perfect place to spend hours. The beds are hard and quite uncomfortable - needs to be replaced. The breakfast is good - not brilliant - but good. We would not suggest to use the restaurant it is over priced and pretty poor quality. Ovarall the service is good any where but the bar and restaurant - unless the head waiter is present the staff is rude and ignorant. The rest of the hotel staff is just perfect.
If you sleep with open door to the balcony - the noise from the traffic on the road in front of the hotel can be heard.

Room Tip: Get sea view or no room at all. Get high floors to get away from the traffic. Do not use the parking...
2  Thank SkyDK

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am unsure how how this hotel is so highly rated. My family and I (two adults and a 13 year old) stayed here three nights. From the moment we checked in and up to check out, our experiences at the hotel were not as pleasurable as holidays are meant to be.

The hotel is run-down and badly requires refurbishing. The carpets and fiurniture are stained and smelly. The hotel room was tiny - we were told that it was because there were three of us and the hotel has no suites. The bathtub drain was blocked. You were lucky to get a table for breakfast as it is always packed. The crockery and cutlery is dirty. The reception and service staff do not smile and greet you. The hotel is overpriced and overrated. The only positive is its location.

The island is amazing and I am sure we will visit it again, however we will never again stay a this hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SAPDXB
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed in this hotel just for one night. The room we got was on the front with a nice view over a part of the harbour and the public swimming pool. it was a good room with two nice beds and a nice bathroom. The breakfast was alright as all hotels have but the personnel was very friendly and cooperative.
We loved our stay although it was only for one night.

Room Tip: Ask if possible for a front room with harbour view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank momaveenendaal
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the Marina Atlantico last week for 3 nights. it was the weekend of the Festa do Espirito Santo. It is a loud parade (bands & squeaky ox carts) that went by our balcony for 4 hours Saturday afternoon & 3 hours on Sunday. Having a room in the front with a balcony was a great location to view the action, but it was noisy even with the door closed. We liked the parades so the noise did not bother us as much as the scooters/motorcycles in the middle of the night. At night the view of the harbor across the street was spectacular.
The bed was horrible!! It was like sleeping on the boxspring & they forgot to put a mattress on the bed. And the pillows were awful lumps. But the room was nice with good space & furniture & a fridge & safe & lighting.
The breakfast was good with a large selection of items. We had lunch in the bar one day. It was awful. A club sandwich had so much mayo on it, it slid apart. We had dinner in the dinning room one night. It was a buffet with 3 different tour groups also eating there. It was chaos and the food was nothing to recommend.
We rented a car and parked it in the large underground parking garage right in front of the hotel. Overnight parking is free if you move the car by 8am.
The location was great. There are lots of restaurants across the street on the harbor and shopping and the old town square are within a 3 to 4 block to the left of the hotel. The wifi in the lobby was available from lots of comfy couches and there was an outstanding piano player one night in the bar area.
If ever in Ponta Delgada again, we would stay here again with some discussion about the bed.

Room Tip: Top floor (6th) harbor front. Great view & no one making noise over your head.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Great Location! Beware that half of the rooms face back (no balcony, small windows), so ensure you get a waterview. Hotel parking is expensive (overnight street parking is free), and do not park there if you rent anything but compact car (spaces are too narrow). Also, you must have a strategy of how to climb the curb in your car so not to damage the underside (there is no ramp, but the curbstone to sidewalk is shaved at 45%). I was getting in at an angle, one wheel at a time and was OK.
Bed = the cheapest mattres you can buy in Chinatown liquidation store. Pillows = buy 5 bags of cotton balls and stuff the pillow case. But the other 4-star hotel we stayed prior to had exact same beds, so it must be a norm for the island. Front desk staff is useless and unfriendly, if you have a question, ask someone on the street, they will be more helpful.

Room Tip: Make sure its waterview room or else you will have small windows and no balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Firstly, I must admit to you up from that I am in love with this Island so my rating of the hotel may have some bias. This is my first trip to the Azores and the only reason I was there was to visit my girlfriend who was there on business for 1 month. Without going into great detail it took all of 1 day on the Island for me to fall in love and 5 additional days before I made the decision to establish a residence on the Island. BTW I am CANADIAN EH!

Hotel Marina Atlantico is a very modern hotel on par with any of the 4+ star hotels I've stayed in over the years globally. It is a small hotel (almost boutique) so your get a very personal experience and do not feel like cattle. Lobby and common areas are modern, simple and comfortable. My room 606 was on the top floor and overlooked the ocean and port. Spectacular would be one word to describe the view amongst many others. The room is modern, spacious and comfortable. The washroom was on par with the Lobby and room. Mini-bar was stocked appropriately. There is a full spa on the premise that I did not get an opportunity to enjoy but it looked very promising.

Breakfast was included in my rate and I rate it two thumbs up! A full buffet hot breakfast with a variety to suit all. Complementary sparkling wine was a very nice surprise! My girlfriend and I made sure to get our buzz on early most days.

Overall I had a fantastic experience at this hotel and plan on revisiting in the near future. Having said that I do have a few suggestions to the management of the hotel.

1. Although I can feel that your staff are warm people I would suggest that they greet all guest at every interaction by making eye contact and a smile. A word of greeting would be a bonus.
2. Fix the VINGCARD system or properly train the front desk staff so that they program the card correctly the first time! On several occasions the key did not work just after I received it from the front desk staff and I did not demagnetize the strip. One instance I had to go back 3 times before they worked it out. I have owned a hotel myself with a VINGCARD system and know this should not happen. Either something is wrong with your system or your staff do not know how ot follow procedure.
3. I made good use of the mini-bar and I was surprised that it was not replenished on a daily basis. I made a joke to my girlfriend that the owner must not want anymore of my money. I would have consumed more had the bar been replenished. I recall that over a period of 3 days I consumed a variety of beverages and there was no restocking throughout this period. Clearly your F&B manager is not motivated to increase sales.
4. Make Ice available 24/7.
5. As a Canadian we love to sit out on a patio any chance we get as our winters are long and cold and no we don't live in igloo's. I was constantly annoyed that the doors to the patio were locked and I had to trouble the staff to unlock them. Please implement a daily checklist so that staff that open the dining room make it a part of their routine to unlock all the doors that lead to the patio.
6. I loved the cold chai that was made available at the lobby and felt cleansed as I was drinking it. But was annoyed that often I could not find a clean glass. Please put a timer on the front desk so that your staff constantly check up on the status of the tea service.

To the management I offer you the above feedback because I truly love your island and your hotel and would like to see you get even better.

Abrigada/o from Toronto Canada.

3  Thank Brian L
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I woukd recommend this hotel to anyone who likes being close to the sea. I would also recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys being at a property that's conveniently located to any things.
I enjoyed my time at this hotel and would return if I'm lucky enough to get to go to Ponta Delgada again. The rooms were very cozy, the balcony had a great view and the breakfast was more than what I expected.
There are restaurants, a grocery store, backery and marina within walking distance. Many local sights are close by as well.
For those of you who like running or biking, there's a bike path located on the other side of the street from the hotel. If you like swimming, the harbour and a pool are also on the other side of the street.
The staff at reception are very informative and there are many pamphlets and brochures available as well.
Leave your worries at home because you're in good hands when you stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
#6 of 23 in Ponta Delgada
Caloura Hotel Resort
Caloura Hotel Resort
#9 of 41 in Sao Miguel

Been to Hotel Marina Atlantico? Share your experiences!