“If you like the sea, the the sea is what you'll see.”

Hotel Marina Atlantico
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Ponta Delgada
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I woukd recommend this hotel to anyone who likes being close to the sea. I would also recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys being at a property that's conveniently located to any things.
I enjoyed my time at this hotel and would return if I'm lucky enough to get to go to Ponta Delgada again. The rooms were very cozy, the balcony had a great view and the breakfast was more than what I expected.
There are restaurants, a grocery store, backery and marina within walking distance. Many local sights are close by as well.
For those of you who like running or biking, there's a bike path located on the other side of the street from the hotel. If you like swimming, the harbour and a pool are also on the other side of the street.
The staff at reception are very informative and there are many pamphlets and brochures available as well.
Leave your worries at home because you're in good hands when you stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Having stayed at their sister hotel in Horta, I was not sure what to expect and I am happy to say that this is steps above the other hotel. The rooms are almost identical, but slightly newer and cleaner. The common areas are a lot brighter, fresher. The spa is very nice, the breakfast buffet offered something for everyone but the biggest improvement is the staff...a top notch group of professionals. The location on the marina was an added bonus and its central location added to a very pleasant visit. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sheila F
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at Marina Antlantico for two night. The hotel has a perfect locaction near the city centre (walking distance) and with great views over the marina. Breakfast was delicious and staff was very professional and attentve to the guest needs. If we return to Ponta Delgada we will stay in this hotel for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susana G
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located by the marina. The staff was helpful and overall accommodating. The room itself certainly served the needs however they could use a little freshening up.. The hotel is clearly set up to be a five star hotel and with small attention to detail it could certainly achieve that goal. Overall I would certainly recommend staying there as it its an overall great property.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the building have much better views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Joe D
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The location is great..enjoyed just sitting on my balcony watching the kids in the municipal pool and the boats and ships coming in and out of the harbor. Having been to Sao Miguel before so I did not have a feverish touring schedule and could just enjoy Ponta Delgada. The room, although small, was clean and comfortable. The maid service is excellent and by the time I came back from breakfast my room had been cleaned every day that I was there. Only negative is the hotel restaurant. Breakfast is very good and relatively well organized. Unfortunately however, the evening meal is a different story. The hotel hosts large tour groups that invariably dine there every night and get the buffet. The room is set up with large tables all along the waterfront windows reserved for the tours. If you are not part of the tour you are relegated to tables along the far wall. If you try to get the buffet you get trampled on, if you try to go a la carte you wait forever because all the kitchen staff's time is focused on replenishing the buffet. Fortunately there are excellent restaurants within a short walking distance. I recommend eating outside the hotel because the food is not worth the aggravation.
Hotel front desk staff is for the most part very good. There are a couple who don't seem to like their jobs, but most are helpful and courteous. The bellman during the day is great!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank janettheresa
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We had originally made reservations at Aparthotel Barracuda in Sao Roque. We wanted to stay on the beach. However, that hotel is a bit run down. I hope to review it soon.

While walking through Ponta del Gada, we stopped at Hotel Marine Atlantico and inquired about room availability. We originally went to their partner hotel next door, which was short one night for our stay. They in turn contacted Marine Atlantico, and they did have availability. We we also provided a 10% discount.

We told our first hotel that we would stay that one night and be checking out in the morning. We just paid one night, with no penalty.

The Marine Atlantico is a beautiful, modern hotel, and we had a view of the harbor and all the action that goes on there. We asked that they move the two double beds together, which they did. Bed comfort was ok, but I wish that the pillows were thicker.

Plenty of towels, shampoo, soap, etc. in the spacious bathroom.

I have only 2 minor criticisms. 1)There was no coffee in the room, but I could get it downstairs after 7:30 when they opened for breakfast. I like have coffee well before my morning run, so this complicated my routine a bit. I adjusted and survived!

2) There was no ice available in the rooms, the floors, or downstairs. I was told that there were gas stations that sold ice. Really? And where I keep all the extra ice? I use the ice to ice down achy knees and Achilles. I was able to get Ice from either the bar or the dining room by asking the person in charge. So once again, I adjusted and survived!

To be fair, many hotels in Europe and the states no longer have coffee in the room. European hotels, if I remember correctly, don't have ice readily available either.

We spent parts of many afternoons and evening on on our porch(?), though it was very cool at night.

The staff was very helpful, especially with directions. We had a car, and their was a very small fee for parking in their garage.

Breakfast was plentiful, with a wide variety to please any palette. Orange had little flavor, but I added pineapple juice. Azorian pineapples are great!

Great hotel, and I would stay again.

B. Vieira

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view of the sea, and with a porch.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hotel is wonderful! It is located right on the water across from the Marina, very easy to find and walk to restaurants and other activities. The front desk staff is incredibly helpful and never grew tired of our ceaseless questions for restaurant and sightseeing recommends nor directions to said restaurants, etc.

The hotel bar has free wifi and makes both a decent Manhattan and espresso. The breakfast is quite nice too. Plenty to choose from and a beautiful room with great morning light by which to eat.

We highly recommend this hotel should you ever find yourself in the Azores. Which you should do at some point!

Room Tip: Our room faced the Marina which has a popular (somewhat noisy) swimming pool during the day so if yo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
#6 of 23 in Ponta Delgada
Caloura Hotel Resort
Caloura Hotel Resort
#9 of 41 in Sao Miguel

Been to Hotel Marina Atlantico? Share your experiences!