“A very professional and knowledgeable company and individual.”

Azores Private Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: My name is Rui and I am a Sao Miguel Island native. I love meeting people from other countries and making their visit to the Azores one they will never forget. My customers are not just clients to me – they are new friends, and as such they receive personalised service. I have many years of experience as a professional private driver, and you will find me an enthusiastic host with an excellent sense of humour. I can provide VIP services, Private Tours by Car and/or Minivan, and Airport Transfers.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Rui is a a very professional and knowledgeable individual with a unique and friendly personality.

His fleet of cars was not only immaculately clean and maintained, but were of utmost comfort and class.

Even though our trip consisted of a business trip into another island, our short layover in San Miguel was well spent with Rui.

I most definitely would recommend Rui to anyone who visits San Miguel.

Hats off to you Rui for your professionalism, knowledge, friendliness, and great personality!!!

You are awesome and we can't wait to meet up with you again and utilize your individualized great quality of service you so eloquently provide.

Best regards,

"mini van"
"wonderful guide"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I had a week in Ponta Delgada and I had booked my tours with Rui before leaving Canada and am I glad I did. We took two tours, one half day and one full day and they were both excellent and made our vacation so special.

Rui is such a pleasure to spend time with and so knowledgeable and helpful. He arranged our full day tour so that we could see all the points of interest that we wanted and what a wonderful day that was. Our trip to Furnas was so memorable and anyone visiting the island should make sure they book Rui to take them there.

Out of all of the private tours we have taken Rui is absolutely the best.

2  Thank Claire J
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My 4 year old daughter and I recently flew to Sao Miguel for a short weekend and I called Rui for a tour. Let me say that we had a wonderful day! He is polite and very knowledgeable. Also, I have an injured foot so he helped my daughter get in/out of the car and carried her as we walked around. It is that extra step that sets him apart from his peers. I will definitely recommend him to anyone visiting Sao Miguel.

4  Thank Gwendoline B
Reviewed September 11, 2013

There were 5 of us on our trip. We made our reservations for our tours prior to us arriving in Sao Miguel. You never know what you are going to get going into a country we have never been. Well there is many words to explain how wonderful Rui was. He was very kind, patient, he did not rush through the tours, explained the history of each site. We went on 3 tours: 1 full day tour and 2- 1/2 day tours. We felt like Rui became a good friend and part of our extended family. It was sad to have to say good bye to our new friend. For anyone needing a tour guide, I highly recommend Rui for the job. Thank you Rui for such an awesome experience.

2  Thank Debbie M
See more reviews
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife, our two daughters, ages 7 & 6 as well as my brother-in-law and his wife visited the island of Sao Miguel on August 16, 2013 at the end of our two week trip to the Azores. While some of us had visited Sao Miguel there were some who had not plus for those of us who had been there previously we knew there was more for us to experience about this mystical island. As such upon searching TripAdvisor I booked a full day tour with Rui Medeiros of Azores Private Tours. Immediately from the moment that Rui met us outside our hotel we all knew that we were in for a great experience. He was extremely courteous and accommodating to all us. Throughout the entire day he went above & beyond providing us so many extras which having been on taxi tours of the island previously I had never before experienced. First he gave us a tour of downtown Ponta Delgada pointing out several things that we should visit later in the evening including the religious image of Santo Christo. Then based on his recommendation due to the very good weather conditions we climbed the hilly terrain above the Lagoa do Fogo for a spectacular view of the island including the cities of Ponta Delgada, Ribeira Grande and Lagoa and the village of Vila Franca do Campo. The view was breathtaking and Rui even became our photographer snapping some great photos of our family with our many cameras. Then we descended to view the Logoa do Fogo from a closer vantage point and then some natural hot springs. Then upon a request from my brother-in-law Rui took us to the passion fruit factory where our group received a great tour from the one of the factory's owner which was thanks to Rui's connections. He even took us to a former factory and explained how the companies merged. We were then off to a great viewing point on the northern side of the island before visiting the tea factory of Gorreana. Rui provided us a great private tour where we learned so much about this very intriguing company. From their we descended down to the village of Furnas for a nice lunch break at Tony's Snack Bar which was just the perfect spot for our group especially our two little princesses. He then gave us a tour of the downtown and even stopped at the beautiful renovated Terra Nostra hotel so that my brother-in-law and his wife could tour the property. We then visited all of the hot springs and went on to the lake area to see the cooking taking place in the holes dug into the earth by the locals. He provided us a great background to the chapel located on the lake that while I had visited this area previously I had never heard before. Once again, Rui's knowledge of the island and its great history was extremely awesome. The final area we visited was the chapel overlooking Vila Franca do Campo which breathtaking, however, he then proceeded to show us the marina area in the town below which was above & beyond the tour schedule. Lastly, upon seeing the new McDonald's restaurant in Ponta Delgada when we arrived on the island our 7 & 6 year old daughters after two weeks on the islands were really hoping to visit this restaurant which Rui was extremely kind enough to stop at before dropping us off at our hotel. Once again he went above & beyond. I and the members of my group cannot express enough how delighted we were with the tour and the time we spend with Rui Medeiros on the island of Sao Miguel this past August. He made our trip simply remarkable and unforgettable. All of us would strongly recommend him to anyone visiting the island of Sao Miguel who really wants to learn about the island and receive a unique experience. We will definitely book Rui again the next time we visit Sao Miguel.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank wsmendonca