“Great food, staff could be friendlier!”

Rotas da Ilha Verde
Ranked #3 of 206 Restaurants in Ponta Delgada
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Vegetarian Restaurant, vegan friendly, gluten friendly,
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was recommended this restaurant by a non-native who had lived in the Azores for 2 years. The food was amazing, lots of flavours and well prepared , though the "sweet potato" crisps I ordered were actually just normal potatoes which was a shame as it was part of the reason i ordered the dish. The desserts are very sweet but very good, not really a healthy option but that I didn't mind.
My only real criticism was the staff, in particular the lady who seems to run the business wasn't very friendly, though we saw her talk at length to other tables, we felt as tourists we weren't overly welcome. We were below the air conditioning unit and asked for it to be turned down as it was blowing directly at us which made things quite cold, they did so though quite begrudgingly. Overall great food but staff needs to remind themselves how to treat customers.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I am British and have owned a holiday home on Sao Miguel for several years. Being vegetarian (inc. no fish!) I have found choices very limited in most restaurants when we go out to eat. Rotas is thus our no1 restaurant when we are in Ponta Delgada as the food, service and ambiance have never been anything but perfect! They use local produce where possible and create Portuguese dishes that I have been inspired to create back in London. A lovely relaxed place to eat anytime.

1  Thank JulesR2013
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The interior of the restaurant is very quirky - like eating in someones living room! The service was excellent and wine was recommended for us when we enquired. The menu choice is limited but the food is good and well presented, although the seitan was slightly too salty. The only problem is that there is no healthy option choice for desert - everything on the desert menu is chocolate, sugar and cream, which is a shame as I am sure a lot of people eat here because they are health conscious or have dietary requirements. If a healthy/vegan desert menu was available i think i would have returned several times during our stay.

1  Thank Robert D
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This little restaurant serves probably the best food I ever ate. As a vegetarian it's not very hard to find dinner in Ponto Delgada but most will taste like a microwave meal from the supermarket.
Not at Rotas. Here every bite is like music on your tongue. It reminded me of the movie 'Ratatouille'.

Like others have written already, Rotas is a small homely place. The atmosphere is informal, the hosts are friendly and prices are very reasonable.
If you want to dine here, make sure you book well in advance for this place is always fully booked and closed on Sunday.
I loved Rotas and it made my experience of the whole island wonderful. I would come back to São Miguel just for this little restaurant.

3  Thank Aldiman
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This very charming restaurant looks like an local appartement inside, so you instantly feel like your at a good friends place - a very good friend. You feel very welcome and the food and wine is really really good. I love meat like no other, but this place made me forget all about that. We had 4 starters, I highly recommend the mushroom bruschetta, but all 4 were great! We shared a main course, the asparagus risotto, made with local cheese, it was excellent. And the desserts, wow! We had a cheesecake and the triple chocolate mousse and both were some of the best ever. To top this great experience up, the restaurant is very cheap - maybe because meat is not on the menu? You do not miss it anyway, so who cares...

2  Thank PapsiFresh