Caloura Hotel Resort
$230
$222
Hotel Ponta Delgada(Ponta Delgada)
$131
Hotel Talisman(Ponta Delgada)
$147
$92
  • Breakfast included
Vila Nova Hotel(Ponta Delgada)
$143
$137
  • Pool
Hotel Marina Atlantico(Ponta Delgada)
$214
$191
  • Breakfast included
Hotel do Colegio(Ponta Delgada)
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewssao miguelponta delgadaevery eveningbuffet or a la cartelarge poolbeautiful hotelprivate balconypeaceful staystayed here for nightsgood sizecliff tophired a carbreakfast buffet was goodking sizeearly aprilnice gardentide pools
Reviewed October 18, 2013

If you want to stay outside of Ponta Delgada, and I suggest you do, you probably won't be able to do better than this but you'll need a hire car (unless you intend to spend a fortune on taxis). The location is lovely, the rooms are very nice and the restaurant is satisfactory (but not adventurous). There's a nice walk (2.5 miles) to the local harbour where there is what looks like a nice, if busy, fish restaurant (we visited the harbour but didn't eat) and the hotel location gives you easy access to tours around the rest of the island. Small grumble - no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Buffet breakfast was OK (why can't Europeans cook do nice sausages?) and we had a evening meal once when it was a Mexican themed (!) serve yourself buffet at 30 euros each. Again, OK

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank balconysitter
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Sao Miguel doesn't have many hotel and this one is probably one of the best choice as a base to visit the island. Between Ponta Delgada and Vila Franca, the hotel is in a very nice and quite area, with a beautiful view and a nice small black sandy beach very close. The name resort is a bit exaggerated. There's a nice pool and a diving school, that's all. The breakfast is very good, nice bar wiht a nice view. We had dinner once in the restaurant and it was ok, even if it wasn't anything marvellous and it was quite expensive for Sao Miguel. But that happens in many hotels. The rooms are ok, with a bit old tv but quite big and with nice balconies and see views.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jorge_Karlsruhe
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My partner surprised me for my birthday and it was more than I ever hoped for... the views were SPECTACULAR overlooking the sea! I couldn't get enough of the beauty. The complimentary breakfast was excellent! You definitely need a car if staying there. The room was pretty basic, but very clean. I would definitely go back and enjoy more of the most lovely island of San Miguel and stay at the Hotel Caloura!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank KarmagirlPhilly
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was our second holiday in The Azores and the last having been in 2005 - so we knew a fair bit about the island itself and what to expect.
We were impressed by the fabulous new roads, throughout San Miguel and these make travel so much easier. Especially after dark.
The Caloura Hotel was suggested by my UK Travel Agent and in fairness I was not bowled-over by the photographs in the brochure. These do not do the hotel justice and upon arrival I was so relieved to enter an immaculate lobby and to be greeted by two smartly dressed and welcoming members of staff.
We were very fortunate to be allocated a large, modern room with its own terrace and fabulous views of the atlantic ocean: whatever anybody has written about this hotel - Be assured that it is in a wonderful setting.
The staff at Reception proved to be indicative of the standard throughout the hotel and without exception every member of staff we met was smartly dressed, well groomed, polite and attentive.
The standard of food was good - we tried the evening buffet, a la carte menu and room service.
We took breakfast every day and the range on offer was certainly to our liking.
The hot drinks machine could have been more user friendly -I can't drink coffee and tea making
meant obtaining milk from the other end of the breakfast area: But I am really picking!
Room service was very affordable and the surcharge being 3 euros - Not bad at all for delivering two courses, up three flights of stairs.
The hotel bar was similarly well-priced and complemented by polite staff and occasionally with a live acoustic guitar player providing background music.
The largest contingent of guests during our one week stay were german and we did meet some Dutch guests. There were very few children present -But we did stay outside of the school holiday period.
Some UK guests might be a little wary -but after the first breakfast session many people gave one another the 'familiar' nod and others just got stuck-in to the food.
In good faith: The middle-aged German traveller is a demanding client and the hotel seemed have no problems in satisfying their needs.Although the smiles took a little more coaxing.
We did not use the pool -but could see that it was clean, smart and in good repair.
We did however try the sauna and that was fine. There is also a gym, with a range of torture machines, for the more 'motivated'.
I note a number of other reviewers have commented on the rooms as being 'dated' or 'tired'?
Our own accommodation was untypical -But we did visit another room and with my 'Trip Advisor' head-on I noted that it was also very clean and well presented - But might benefit from more modern lighting. Decor is a subjective and the rooms seemed to reflect a more typical Portuguese approach, rather the northern european -But hey! When in Lisbon.
Overall - Highly Recommended, by me (and my lover!).

Room Tip: During our stay the poolside was quite and as would be expected by the average age of guests and general lack of children. All rooms have an ocean view - those on the west side (overlooking the pool) have a panoramic view. The North facing rooms look towards an inlet and are inclined towards the ocean. If it were peak season I would choose the latter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bonefish20
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Beautiful surroundings, very quiet to unwind. We visited this hotel some years ago and rooms were already showing signs of ageing. The large private terrace outside the room was a real paradise with constantly changing lights and great sunsets.
There are several aisles in the hotel. One faces the swimming pool and may be noisy during the day. The eastern aisle faces a cliff and is definitely much quieter.
Great base to explore the beautiful island.
Breakfast very poor quality but this did not spoil our stay.

Room Tip: Chose a room on top floor not facing the pool for maximal privacy and calm
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple