All reviewsthe cliffthe atlantic oceanswimming poolon the rockswhale watchinghotel restaurantchinese menupico islandseparate buildingsthis wonderful hotelmany optionswalking trailsquiet hoteldefinitely recommend this placedirect access to the seashrimpasian style
Reviewed May 11, 2015

This is a resort right by the ocean. It has several similar buildings each holding some eight rooms. It is built from the lava rock and this gives a very distinctive feel to the hotel. There is a lovely pool areas and a walk along the cliff tops and a wave viewing lookout.
The rooms are well appointed but for me the bed was way too hard.
Breakfasts were good and buffet style. We ate in their restaurant each night and were well satisfied by the food, service and prices.
We had one of the ground floor end rooms and so did not have the covered patio that the center rooms had.
We really liked this property situated right by the sea. It is also a good place to sightsee and hike on the island.

Room Tip: Some rooms have covered patios - ask for these if that is important to you.
1  Thank roger123Ottawa
Reviewed May 5, 2015

Lovely hotel, spacious comfortable room, bathroom & outdoor terrace. Breakfast fine but really cramped buffet area. Excellent, friendly staff; they were very willing to provide everything we needed & allowed us to keep our room until 1pm on the day of leaving. I suggest it's perhaps not the best place for disabled guests as it's very hilly (although there is certainly at least one room that has wheelchair access). I would also suggest that their "sea lounge", while beautiful, could be dangerous, particularly if young children around - only a rope preventing anyone going over the cliff edge.
The restaurant food was very good indeed (wild rabbit stew was excellent; the cataplana stuffed with fish & seafood; very tender, perfectly cooked steaks) & excellent value, but the service in there, although willing, was somewhat haphazard, ( the 2 waitresses were lovely but rushed off their feet all 3 nights), & this seemed to be due to understaffing. The restaurant was very busy every night & I would suggest residents should book a table in good time at reception & specify if they want to eat in the main restaurant rather than in the bar area.

Reviewed May 2, 2015 via mobile

Location and surrounding is absolutly great. Unfortunately some of the staff member are very unfriendly. I never had an bad experience like this and I never want to come back because of this. It is very pitty.

Stayed: April 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2015

I don't understand the people who were disappointed in this hotel. If you are expecting 4-5 star as in staying at the Four Seasons in a large North American City, or the Savoy or something, well, I guess this might not meet your expectations. If you are looking for a comfortable place with slightly more than the basic amenities, delivered by people who care about the environment of this small island of 14000 souls, in a stunning natural setting, with above average food available at your doorstep, then you'll like it.

ALL hotel rooms in the Azores are a bit damp. Staff here does make an effort to air the rooms before your arrival. Bed was comfortable, but yes, if you're over 6 feet tall, you're going to hang off the end. This seems fairly common in Europe, so was not surprised. Extra blankets and pillow easily available if not already in the closet. Mattress firm but with some give to it. I found it comfortable; husband found it a bit too firm (although still the most comfortable one we had in two weeks touring Azores).

Special mention to concierge/receptionist Felipe (might have her name spelled wrong) -- this young woman not only makes you feel that she is delighted to have you as a guest, but she is also very excited about sharing the natural beauty of the island and the comfort of the hotel. She is a gem.

Be sure to walk along the sea walk to see the swimming area (both pool and water access to the sea), and the various places to sit and enjoy the view. If you take a snack or a drink, PLEASE be responsible and respectful and clean up after yourself.

Try the prawn gratin pasta dish at the restaurant, Yummy! Portions are generous. After the first night when we left stuffed to the gills, my husband and I have appetizers and shared an entree, which left just enough room for a bowl of ice cream.

Reviewed April 15, 2015 via mobile

I spent two nights here on another visit to Pico. After eating here last year I thought I would try the hotel bearing in mind I upgraded the room.... Here is the good the bad and ugly in reverse order:
Ugly. Cleanliness and maintenance of the room was poor, mystery stains on the toilet bowl, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, parcel tape used to fix the sink plunger connection. I do admire the make do and mend policy though very is eco friendly. Cobwebs had grown well by day 2.
Bad. I thought I would walk down to the sea lounge but decided not to sit down due to the debris left from what appears to be a good party. Shame I did not know earlier. The tv offers limited channels indeed 3 fuzzy channels of al jezera and sports. Well I was not particularly interested however some people might be. Tip is roll the remote batteries to make it work.
The bottle of bathroom cleaner left on the sink counter was returned to reception. One could think it was a sign to clean it yourself. If you leave before breakfast (8am) they will put a bag of stuff together but no questions on what you do or don't like except are you vegetarian. I dont eat bananas.
The bed is not great for a larger chap. Not comfortable at all.
Good. The evening food has been great and as it was my birthday i was well looked after. Even the help to print a boarding pass was appreciated.
Other things of note are the breakfast is average and the turn over times for replacement items is slow. Please change the coffee it was awful.
So to the ownership take these comments as constructive criticism. It is a great location for local trails (mysterios was easy and the burros is not far).
Try and be a bit more relaxed about the rules, instead of a must pay as reception in this day and age you could authorise the stay, do a key drop and not be corralled to the reception opening times.
Also the sign at breakfast made me laugh "if you take items you will be charged" so no chance of an apple for later then considering my missed breakfast consisted of a cheese and ham sandwich,bottle of juice and bananas I don't like.
If you are required to use wifi it is fine on the decking.
So a number of these things were reported to reception but no offer of conciliation. Such as a room change or something else. I would be happy to be contacted.

Stayed: April 2015, traveled solo