“Nice stay for short period at reasonable price”

A Casa do Lado - AL 46
Ranked #6 of 15 Horta B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I spent 1 night at this cosy family hotel and I'm very much satisfied with everything - starting from the room finishing by the breakfast.
Everything was quite all right at reasonable price. There are some people who expect 5-star services from tur-class hotels, it's a great mistake.
This family hotel suites all my expectations - I got everything I wanted - hot shower, warm bed, private balkony, TV with some musical channels, tea and coffee during all day and the most important thing - care of very friendly and nice hotel staff!!!
I have no idea about insects because it was rather cold and windy outside but I really enjoyed this hotel. The location is wonderful - very close to the marine and the main cathedral.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
ACasaDoLado, Manager at A Casa do Lado - AL 46, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review! It especially important to us that you mention the service of our staff. Our main goal is to make our guests feel comfortable and welcome!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

It didn't take me long to decide to stay at A Casa do Lado. Their Internet site and the overall reviews here provided already a good feeling to what I would expect during my 9 day holiday on Faial. The confirmation of my reservation and the additional e-mail confirmed that feeling and already gave me the idea that this would be a good place to stay at.

At arrival is welcomed warmly. The room (204) was spacious enough for my purpose of stay (sleep and relax). The room and bathroom were clean and were cleaned daily. I do have to admit that it took me a few nights to get use to the small and hard beds, but this says more about me being spoiled than that the bed was not good.

I was particular pleasantly surprised about the excellent and warm service of both the staff and owners. I somehow missed that there was an option to order breakfast and already anticipated that I had to buy my own somewhere. But, I was quickly informed that I could order breakfast. Which of course allowed me to sleep in a little longer and eat it in a more relaxed atmosphere. The owner also gave some excellent tips on restaurants and the daily short conversations we had were all give me that homely warm feeling.

Of course the location of the B&B is perfect. You’re in the middle of the center of Horta, with restaurants, grocery stores, entertainment in walking distance. Parking spaces for my rental car were in the street or in streets very close to the B&B.

All in all, a wonderful place to stay made even better by the great owners and staff. I will certainly return on any future trip to the Azores.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 14NABster
ACasaDoLado, Manager at A Casa do Lado - AL 46, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

It is such a pleasure to be rewarded with a positive review to our services, such as the one you have given us! It is exactly because of this that we are in this business: to make our guests feel welcome and at home! We hope to accommodate you again in a very near future. Until then, happy travels!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Casa do Lado is a very nice and home feeling place at a very central and nearby spot. For me it was the second time I stayed there and I vividly recommend it. I just read the last review and I think that some people should be "forbidden" to leave their homes... I was there on business and hard work and it was very nice to arrive "home".
If you go to Faial, or know some one how does recommend Casa do Lado.

Filipe Carneiro

Room Tip: Chose the rooms with the view to Pico island
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Filipe C
ACasaDoLado, Gerente at A Casa do Lado - AL 46, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Thank you, Filipe, for taking the time to review our guesthouse! We are very satisfied that you felt at home - this is really our ultimate goal! It has been a joy to accommodate you and hopefully your business (or pleasure) will bring you to Faial again soon. Until then, enjoy your travels!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We've been travelling trough Azores for 3 weeks and our staying in Casa do Lado was the worst nightmare. We did not sleep even a minute because of mosquitos! There was nothing we can do: niether the net nor closing the balcony doors was helpful (on the margin: we were boiling inside). After all at 5.51 a.m. we ask the service for help and they gave us a candle.. which of course didn't help too. We ask for the manager and tell her that it is impossible to sleep in her so called "quest house" and what she answered? That - "that is the nature", and they have this problem occasionally. Very arrogant and unpleasant woman. Beware. You can be the same victim as we were. Nobody told us that we should expect such problem and the manager is proud of herslef that it's only the nature's fault. She gave us 4 euro discount. Unbelievable . Avoid this place!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zofia W
Reviewed August 31, 2012

A very pleasant place, familiar and with nice people. The staff is helpful and very polite. The rooms are simple, nice and clean. The bathroom was very clean, with spotless towels. The beds were comfortable. The price was very good.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony to see "Pico Island".
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MariaEugeniaReis
ACasaDoLado, Manager at A Casa do Lado - AL 46, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

It is a great pride to receive such an excellent review from a recent guest. It has been a pleasure being of service to you and we just hope that you return soon. Until then, don't forget to spread the word to your friends and colleagues by offering or lending your "casinha do lado", that can be used in exchange for a discount at our guesthouse for an entire year!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

i thought about stay just for 2 nights and i end at up staying for 7! its a very familiar place, but even for me, travelling alone, was awesome....very clean, the breakfast its the same everyday but has all we need...and the owners and emploees are very nice and polite, cheers. naiara

Room Tip: if you need to use internet very often, prefer the rooms in the first or 2 floor. but if not, all th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank naiara c
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Thank you very much, Naiara, for your review! We appreciate your positive words. This is what we work for: satisfied guests! It was a pleasure having you here with us!

Reviewed May 21, 2012

We were here for two days because we enjoyed so much! Nice staff, nice and clean rooms.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Henriette F
ACasaDoLado, Manager at A Casa do Lado - AL 46, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

We appreciate your kind words and are very happy that we were able to make you feel comfortable! We would love to accommodate you again in the near future!