“chic modern escape at the end of the world” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Memmo Baleeira Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sagres
Los Angeles, California
“chic modern escape at the end of the world”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

white sleek modern building and facilities set in a small town at the western edge of the Algarve- Incredibly helpful and friendly front desk staff that took me to my room and showed me around the property. Rooms are not huge but spend the extra for a sea view room- I could have sat on the small balcony watching the sunrise everyday.
One of the best beds I have ever slept on with a selection of pillows-
it was too cold to use th spool but I can see spending time there in the summer
just a few block away from the small town of nice bars and casual dining
the hotel breakfast buffet was a big hit with a variety of options from pastries- fresh baked breads- meat and cheese selection as well as eggs- bacon
the indoor pool and spa are nice to have but the steam room was not working and the sauna is small so it was usually full as it only fits 4 and that is tight- the signage for mens and women's changing areas is not clear so be careful- very easy to walk into the wrong area to change
overall I loved it

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank rogerz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in November 2013 for a week in a suite.
Amazing location with breathtaking view. Waking up looking at the sunrise is a real treat so go for a room with a view.
The hotel has a modern design, with a clever use of the space and location. Everything is turned towards the sea.
Great facilities: indoor and outdoor pool, Turkish bath, sauna and Spa.
The breakfast buffet is truly amazing !!!
Located 5 minutes away from the city and the 2 minutes walk away from the shops.
Simply perfect

• Stayed November 2013
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I took my wife and 3 children (10, 9 and 6) to the Memmo in the last week of October and enjoyed fantastic weather (21 degrees each day) and a great selection of activities - family scuba diving in the hotel pool, family surfing lesson, fishing and then cooking the catch, dolphin watching and Donkey Motion near the zoo at Lagos. As well as walking, biking, birdwatching and relaxing in the hotel pool at spa. The two-bedroom suite overlooking the harbour was fantastic, the buffet breakfast all that we could have needed, and the service from the front desk in terms of recommendations, advice and attentiveness first class. The hotel is sparkling clean, welcoming and we had a holiday that we will not forget in a long time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andy T
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Visited here on a v quite November night. We stayed for a drink and were thinking about staying the night.
I asked the young receptionist to show me the nicest room she had. She seemed quite unapproachable and overly 'formal' in my opinion. She showed me to a v small double bed room; just enough to walk past the bed. I asked if this was the nicest room she had? to which she responded its a standard double and that their rooms go by categories not nicest etc...she seemed very superior in her tone. We went back to the reception desk , again, to get a key to the 'nicest' room....as we were walking to this room she said it had a garden view....in a hotel that hangs off a cliff with sea views; why would she show me a garden view room if I asked to see the nicest Room? And so back to reception, again, she reluctantly showed me the sea view room eventually; third try lucky! Her manner was not amicable as it should be for the service industry.

Later on we went back to reception to ask about the rates. This time another lady was on there. I told the receptionist that we had seen a room online on booking.com and it said it was a double. I asked her was it ok that if we booked that could she ensure we get the sea view room we had seen. Keep in mind this was 6 pm on a quite November night, maybe three people in the communal areas total. She smirked and said no this would not be possible. Even though the room was clearly empty that night and plenty of other rooms were free for the night; she turned down the business straight away. We had planned to stay there that night; have some more drinks at the bar and do treatments in the spa the next day. It stuns me how some Portugese people in the service industry lack the ability for business and to be commercial minded. That would not happen in other countries such as UK or america. Its their loss: view is great but service was false, not warm and there was a superior attitude from the staff i engaged with, in my opinion.

Stayed November 2013
4 Thank scenarios
MemmoBaleeira, Gerente geral at Memmo Baleeira Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments since our guest feedbacks are very important to identify failures and improve our service.

As you understand we do our best to select and train the best staff in order to provide a good service to our guests.

I was surprised with your comment since our staff always have a welcoming attitude to all our guests as you can see by reading the reviews from guests that stayed with us.

Reading your email I understand that you had a bad experience with one of our staff attitude. We will take this opportunity to internally improve training in order to avoid this kind of situations.

The majority of the tourists feel well treated in our country! I am sure that will also happen to you in a future visit to Portugal.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Kind regards,
Rodrigo Machaz
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We booked through Memmo's website and got a good deal for a 5 nights stay.
The staff was always very welcoming and helpful.
The room had a nice view over the sea and harbour and the swimming pool.
Being on the ground floor behind reception and near the bar, it could get a bit noisy with people passing by or chatting outside.
The cot was great for our 22 months old, the bed very comfy and the breakfast always good.
The spa area with pool, sauna and steam room were great too. And so are the massages!
Thank you for a lovely and relaxing stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel without a previous booking and had a good deal for a three night stay and enjoyed it so much that we decided to stay another three nights.
We had a room with a good view of the bay and the harbour and overlooked the pool. The room was reasonably sized with twin beds pushed together to make a double which I have no objections to but the sheets and duvet were tucked in to each bed so tightly that you have very little chance of meeting in the middle! The bed was very comfortable and I slept really well.
The bathroom was great with a nice shower over the bath and we had the complimentary toiletries renewed very day and towels replaced when needed.
I would have liked a facility for making tea or coffee in the room which was about the only thing the room missed.
Breakfast was very good with a choice of cold meats,cheeses, fruit and cooked alternatives with yummy pastries in addition.
Lounge areas were comfortable with large sofas and seating outside on the terrace. Drinks were expensive but that's the price you pay for staying in a hotel. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant in the evenings as there was such a good choice in the town which was only a minutes walk away.

The swimming pool was a good size with plenty of loungers and bean bags available. I think we must have stayed out of season as the cafe bar was not attended but drinks could be ordered from the lounge bar. Surprisingly it seems that glass is allowed in the pool area.
The one thing I really felt surprised with was that you were issued with pool towels and these were expected to last for three days and if they needed changing before then you had to pay for replacements - I do not expect that at a hotel of this quality especially as I swimming loads and my pool towels were always wet.

The hotel is in an ideal position for walking to nearby beaches and restaurants and cafés and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for a lovely holiday in a beautiful location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Very nice stay. Clean hotel with perfect view:-) Tasty breakfast with a lot of fresh fruits, nice room, excellent service. Good place for stay and have trips around Algarve region. Quite good food in restaurant but you can find near the hotel something better;) In and outside swimming pool.
Very good place for stay:-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SkyJunior
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sagres
Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel
Vila Gale Lagos
Vila Gale Lagos
#6 of 51 in Lagos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,236 reviews

Been to Memmo Baleeira Hotel? Share your experiences!