“when design meets relax”

Memmo Baleeira Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sagres
London, United Kingdom
“when design meets relax”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Memmo Baleira is better than expected. Its position on the ocean makes it relaxing and suggestive. The building can look quite deceptive from the outside: a white minimalist cube. However, from the moment you get in the hotel and meet the staff, your impression changes.

The staff is nice and helpful - special mention to Fernando for his tips and kindness.

White is the dominant colour in the lobby, the lounge and the bar overlooking the ocean;this enhances the light coming from the ocean making the overall look and feel very natural and relaxing. The décor is minimalist design conscious.

The overall atmosphere is very laid back; in tune with the wild nature of Sagres, guests are dressed casual sport.

Rooms: nice, quite big and very well appointed. All with balcony overlooking the ocean. No Wi-Fi in the rooms (but yes in the lobby) to help guests to wind down.

Services: you can rent bikes (1 hour for free); the outside swimming pool is quite big and the garden area is very well kept.

Spa: nice and clean. Worth a short visit after a day out.

This is a hotel that I would recommend for people who want to stay away from the crowd without compromising on comfort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had such a great stay at Memmo Baleeira I almost don't want to tell anyone about it! For those who have not travelled as far along the Algarve coast to Sagres before, it is well worth the relatively short 1hr & half scoot along the A22 from Faro to get there. Sagres itself is beautiful, particularly the many beaches in this area. We stayed at Memmo Baleeira for five nights in July. The hotel itself is set in a beautiful location above the harbour. The rooms are large, clean and I couldn't fault them whatsoever. The bar area is very relaxed. The staff are excellent. They are extremely discreet and friendly - they let you just get on with your holiday. As for the comments by others about the staff speaking poor English, I would like to know how many of those reviewers can speak Portuguese??!!! The staff speak very good English (and the many other languages if that really matters to you!). I would recommend that you hire a car if you are going to Sagres so that you can explore the many nearby beaches. The hotel has a lovely bar area with great bar staff, but the sunshades and loungers are limited. The hotel has a buffet and a la carte restaurant. We ate in both. The buffet is well catered for children and very reasonable in price (19 euros per person). The breakfast buffet is plentiful. We ate in the a la carte restaurant and would have eaten there more if it wasn't for the fact that there are plenty of great restaurants just outside the front door of the hotel. I would highly recommend Vila Velha and Pashmina (a great Indian restaurant). I would also highly recommend using the Spa. I had a Memmo massage which was brilliant. Already looking forward to my next trip to Sagres!

Room Tip: Sea view superior rooms provide plenty of space and have great views of the sea/harbour.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our best holiday for years.The hotel is set in a beautiful position with amazing views during our yoga sessions.This is a well balanced week combining action packed surfing, nature walks and relaxing yoga.The team looking after us couldn't have tried harder to give us a great time.Even I managed to get my 61 body up on a surf board many times! good value too.Will definitely book again and looking forward to seeing Marta Michael and Nicolau once more

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank John B
england
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Lovely calm and relaxing break at the Memmo Balleira.
Booked through Mr and Mrs Smith and did not disappoint

Exhausted and ready for a holiday, this was a perfect break for my husband and I. We felt relaxed and well looked after.

Hotel is tasteful, well designed, but not pretentious.

Views of the coastline and harbour are stunning- really took my breath away.
Quite windy throughout the day- so even when sunny, never feels too hot, which was refreshing!

Food in the hotel is amongst the best Had in Sagres- lovely mango salad at lunchtimes!

As it was my birthday during the stay, hotel staff had arranged a lovely birthday note, sparkling wine and cake to be left in our room- an extra treat!

Overall not a lot to do in Sagres itself, the restaurants are all of a similar standard- nothing to write home about. A very relaxed and casual/surfy atmosphere- not too much dressing up for dinner!

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The hotel was lovely, but there were a few things that make me not want to go back. The food in the hotel was average. The staff were very nice but their English is poor and I think that even though the hotel is in Portugal their understanding of the English language should be better. I asked for the club sandwich without Egg as I am highly allergic to it and they first gave it to me with Egg and then took it out and gave me back the same sandwich without the egg in it even though I had told them I was allergic and the bread was covered in the egg....I very much doubt they would have liked to be responsible for my death!! After 30 mins I finally got my sandwich although in the process I watched the couple opposite me get chicken instead of prawns - silly mistakes really that the staff should not be making. Also I asked for a double bed and we got twin beds, so I asked for the beds to be made up like a double bed which never happened either. Also there are LOADS of young families there which was a pain. While my boyfriend and I were in the indoor pool relaxing a child came splashing up to us and tried to have play time - we were not amused. Also there are no where near enough sun loungers for everyone in the hotel - not even half. On another note Sagres has its own climate - in other words regardless of the time of year it is windy and I mean really windy! Also there is not a lot else going on in that area. Another point would be that the light bulbs were out in the bathroom when we first arrived - in a 4 star hotel you would expect this sort of thing to be checked before the new residents arrive. However having said that they fixed it straight away. It was nice but as I said I wouldn't go back and I expect more from a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We recently returned from a somewhat so-so stay in Sagres at the Memmo. The hotel itself is very nicely situated with potentially beautiful views of the sea, the staff is professional and helpful and the rooms clean and comfortable. That said, nowhere did we read that the weather in Sagres could be completely fogged in and chilly in July (read, 15 / 60 degrees). Obviously, this put a damper on the beach vacation we had expected and perhaps our review of the hotel. What was the oddest to us were the food options at the hotel. The breakfast buffet was like going through airport security -- loud, crowded and pushy. If you could manage your way to the buffet itself, the coffee was barely drinkable which, for a European hotel, is a bit disappointing. And in the evening, there is no option at the hotel for a casual bar type dinner until 10 pm (only expensive, cavernous, sterile hotel restaurant with only marginal food) and we were told that we probably wouldn't want bar food anyway as the food is prepared in a microwave.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank W A
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We travelled to Sagres to escape the hustle and bustle of the Algarve, and was a nice escape. We choose this hotel as was a good price and looked the place to be. The staff were very friendly and smiled all the time, the room was clean and simple and cool. We were lucky as had a room near the lounge/bar area of the hotel so we could get WiFi in our room. So just a warning, you can only get WiFi in the common areas of the hotel. I suppose they want guests to socialise and not stay locked away on their iPad, nice idea but you do get a lot of kids sat around with headphones watching movies on their tablets (I suppose better then making noise!). Location was perfect as had a view of the sea, and I would strongly suggest getting a sea view room, as a view of the car park would be a big shame. Breakfast was good, lots of choice - no issues, and was always greeted with a smile. We had dinner one night and was pleasantly surprised. We had the daily special meal which was 16 euros each for set main, choice of desert and a glass of house wine. This was a bargain, and was exceptionally good. We also had a massage in the spa area and again was very happy with the treatment. The only negative was the pool area, as they could do with a few more sun lounges and the space looks a little out of place to the designer features of the hotel. But in all fairness with some great beaches only 5-10 mins walk away, why would you want to be next to the pool. The best beach we found was Martinhal Beach (small track down the side of the hotel leads directly to it). Overall I would stay again and liked the laid back surf feel, injected with designer looks and appeal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raphael H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sagres
Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel
Vila Gale Lagos
Vila Gale Lagos
#7 of 50 in Lagos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,292 reviews

Been to Memmo Baleeira Hotel? Share your experiences!