“Modern white hotel with designer touches”

Memmo Baleeira Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sagres
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Booked for 2 nights and stayed 3 as it was perfect for our needs - clean, spacious room with great see view, lovely breakfast set us up for the day. The staff from front desk to coffee shop to breakfast were all professional and friendly and spoke excellent english. Sagres is a small town on the south west tip of the Algarve, half and hour away from Lagos and with it only being an hour and a half drive to Tavira at the eastern end of the Algarve via the motorway the whole of the Algarve is in easy reach.
The hotel was fairly empty when we were there so felt like a boutique hotel. It's a larger hotel than we would usually choose but we were delighted with everything.

Room Tip: We opted for a larger room with a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,520)

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I must preface this by saying that, while I consult tripadvisor when booking holidays, I have NEVER written a review. However, we had such an excellent experience at Memmo B that I feel compelled to rave about our holiday. We were a family (12+7 year old boys) and booked the one week surf package - just returned from our holiday 2 days ago.

I loved the laid back but uber cool feeling of the hotel. When we entered our suite, there was even a calming aromatherapy scent which complemented the spectacular view of the harbour and nearby bays (what a view to wake up to every morning!). But the hotel is not pretentious in any way - we walked around barefoot and took the kids swimming in our hotel robes. The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating - whether it was special requests for our lunchbox, or flexibility with check out time, nothing was a problem. The guests ranged from older couples, young and hip couples and families from various countries - which was a nice mix of stylish and interesting people. Easter was the perfect time to be there, as we felt like we had the hotel to ourselves. Every evening we caught up on emails (or face time for the boys) in the lounge (there's a choice of chic white sofas with view or the cozy entertainment room).

The surf school was great as well. Only 2 of us were taking lessons (my son and I), but the surf staff made sure that our 7 year old had a boogie board (and even a free introductory lesson). They transported the non-surfers - my husband and 7 yr old - to the different beaches, even though they weren't really part of the surfing group. We met some really interesting people and loved the diversity and eclectic nature of the guests that were surfing with us.

Breakfast was good and eating on the sunny enclosed patio/terrace was a terrific start to the day. We had dinner a couple of nights in the hotel - which was tasty and imaginative. There is a good value dish of the day which includes main course, choice of dessert and glass of wine for €16. But there was also a good selection of interesting restaurants and bars to discover in and around Sagres. We ate a couple of nights at Nortada on Martinhal beach, in the next bay about a 10 minute walk from the hotel - perfect for kids and watching the sun setting on the western horizon. We never found the time to spend on the small private beach below the hotel nor to use the kitchen facilities in our suite.

Besides, not writing a review, I never return to the same hotels as I always want to experience something new. However, I am missing Memmo B already, and we intend to come back again as it ticked all of our boxes: great location, amazing views, stylish minimalist rooms, good service, cool bars and restaurants nearby, surfer friendly and calming aura.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank The_Carlymotos
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having returned home from a very average yoga class I am reminded of this wonderful retreat. If you wish to free your mind, ease any tension in your body and/or simply have some fun then this is the retreat for you.

Michael, Marta and Nicolau provide an attentive and dedicated service in their respective areas. The combination of daily yoga, qigong and meditation was very powerful and whilst I spent more time in the “washing machine” and body surfing the experience was so freeing and a lot of fun. Having the chance to explore hidden coves and turquoise waters with not a single man in sight was simply breathtaking.

With clean lines and panoramic views the hotel Baleeira was great and effectively complemented the feeling of relaxation on this retreat.

I arrived in Sagres completely exhausted and yet after only six nights of activity filled days I returned home restored and rejuvenated.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Bunsi_13
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I just stayed for two nights in March 2013. The hotel was still quite empty, but however it is a beautiful hotel if you like the minimalistic modern design.
The staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast was extraordinary, even though there were not too many hotel guest they still had a pretty big variety of foods (fresh juices, cereals, pastry, eggs + bacon + hot vegetables, bread, cheese and ham...). The hotel is very nicely located, directly at the harbour in Sagres. However there is no direct access to the beach and you either have to walk or take a car/bike. I would recommend a car because there are many different beautiful beaches in the area. The rooms were spacious as well as the bathroom. We had a room with ocean view, which I would recommend as well because if you'll book landview you are most likely get a view of the parking spots in front of the hotel. The hotel has a small fitness area, sauna and indoor pool (which is rather small). They also have an outdoor pool and plently of spcace for sunbeds. Additionally you can rent bikes from the hotel and there is a surfschool at the hotel. Once we had dinner in the hotel restaurant which was very good, we got the daily deal which was reasonable priced and very tasty. So you should check that, they have a different deal every day. All other foods are a little more expensive, but looked very good as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Very recommendable hotel. We (family with a baby and an 11 year old child) stayed for a week in April. The suite we had was spacious and well-equipped (big balcony with sea view - spent the few additional euro for the view - living-room with a small dining table, a kitchenette and a sofa-bed).

The hotel has a reduced and very white design but as some other reviews already said it does not feel cold. The hotel captures well the spirit of Sagres, a laid-back place which is and feels a little bit like the last post in Europe.

Staff was very friendly (in a natural way, not the trained mentality you find in many places) and always helpful. We felt very welcome, also with our children and the baby in particular.

Restaurant is good as is the breakfast (the latter nothing spectacular, but good average). You can also order all dishes from the restaurant menu on the room. But apart from the hotel restaurant there are plenty options to eat out in Sagres, especially for fish and seafood.

Overall: great place, which I can highly recommend. I hope to return.

What could be improved: the showerheads - I do not understand why anyone constructs a device which sprays the water around allover but only partly on the body. The sofa-bed: not very comfortable and rather shaky.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2013

It's been a few years since I stayed here (May 2009), but to this day when I'm feeling rundown at work I click on a saved photo taken from our balcony and am reminded of what a perfect trip this was (despite winds being so bad I thought my clothes would blow off). Although the design of the hotel is very sleek and modern, there is a warmth to it. It doesn't feel like you're vacationing at a Swiss clinic. The lounge was a great place to chill out either before or after dinner. Staff was really nice and helped us plan a day trip where we could get away from the wind for a couple hours. Overall, there's a really nice vibe to this hotel and Sagres in general.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GilhamStreet
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was in Tavira at relatives and fancied a trip out to the west of the algarve. Fancied trying surfing but not the best time of year in February. Saw a surf school linked to this hotel.Jumped in the hire car and headed towards Sagres. Booked it on the way at only 49 Euro's a night for 4 nights. It was just perfect for me. The hotel, Sagres, cliffs, quiet, thoughtful touches, amazing views, chilled, polite, great service, surfing. I was welling up it was just so nice! Definitely going back with the kids and maybe again just myself or with friends. My friends now are planning to get married there after my pics and report. Fab. See you soon. x

Room Tip: I was in 301 which was a free upgrade to a standard sea view room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Beefybabes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sagres
Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel
Vila Gale Lagos
#7 of 53 in Lagos
Mareta Beach Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Pestana Alvor Praia

Been to Memmo Baleeira Hotel? Share your experiences!