Accommodation: we were in a ocean view house, and sitting out on the balcony supping some pino grigio mooching on a bean bag with the sun reflecting from the ocean is brilliant. Well worth the extra pennies. Kitchen & facilities were lovely, the green that you see in the pictures is better in life than you might think, and the bathrooms are exceptional. No quibbles whatsover.
Restaurants: The buffet - well, if you like buffets, you'll like this buffet. We went only once but we don't really like buffets. The beach restaurant was really good. The italian one is shut outside of summer - they don't tell you this anywhere by the way! So we ate at the beach restaurant every night. Food was good - probably not commensurate with the price you pay, but not many hotel resorts are. Dinner for a family of 3 (2 adults + one toddler) with a bottle of lower/mid range wine is c£75.
The resort: hilly. quite windy. Foggy some days as well. When the sun was shining, it was brilliant. The beach is exceptional. The playgrounds are good, not great. The pools were cold, and not heated. We asked about this. They said it was because it was cloudy and the pool heating is solar-powered. They didn't quite see the problem with this configuration, and kept pointing to the temp. gauge that stubbornly said 25 degrees, despite the chattering teeth of the children in the pool. Again, it is lovely when the weather is 30 degrees; not so when it is cloudy, windy & foggy. Spa is well appointed.
The town of Sagres is boring and there is nothing to do there. Beach is good.
Overall, it's a lovely place and I would go back. On balance, the weather is a little too unreliable so I would only go back in the height of summer, and when the kids are a little past toddler stage.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Prestigia, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, MrandMrsSmith, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel