We just returned from a 10 day stay at Martinhal with our kids age 2 and 4 and we had a fantastic time. We are normally not into resort-type holidays but read such excellent reviews so decided to book it. We were really in need of pure relaxation and good weather. We wanted something that would be super simple with the kids and where me and my husband could actually eat our meals in peace and quiet or even have a drink while the kids have something to keep them occupied. Firstly, our ocean villa was stunning. It was modern, spacious and safe for children. We got stair gates, a highchair, a cot and linens, as well a bed guards all free of extra charge. The kitchen was big and had any utensil you would require including a blender and a Nespresso machine, A generous welcome hamper was provided on our arrival with enough food for breakfast the next morning. The terrace was large with a comfy sofa, a coffee table and two large beanbags. The views of the Atlantic were superb and I personally sat outside every day with a latte, reading my Kindle, enjoying the sunshine and views. The beds were very comfortable - down pillows and duvets as comfortable as at home. Ample space for storing clothes, large walk-in showers, beautiful Voya bath products...Every day we swam in the heated pools (four in total, every one immaculate) or played at the beautiful Martinhal beach. The kids loved the sandpit and trampoline area, as well as the village square where the kids played while we either had dinner, a drink at the M Bar, or an excellent takeaway latte and fresh croissant from the Mercado. The kids especially loved the VW campervan in the M bar, as well as the hammock, the complimentary IPads and the kids club playground which was open every evening for kids to play in for free (includes slides, play vehicles, bikes, scooters, all sorts)...On a few days we explored other great beaches such as the stunning Amado beach on the west coast (very windy though, a favourite with surfers) and another favourite - Zavial beach. Unspoilt small beach which can also be windy but with lost of shells and a great beach restaurants where we ate fresh grilled seabass on two occassions and it was excellent! We had great weather except for the last two days when it got grey and a bit rainy. The only thing that I would say is the wind can be relentless. Half of the time we were there it was so windy it made it difficult to swim or be at the beach so had to venture out to find alternative things to do (a great alternative on a windy day is a visit to Silves castle and the funky Cafe Ingles under the castle walls offering live music on weekends). And the other things is, the resort is quite pricey when it comes to food. The food we did eat was excellent though but for example the Mercado was really overpriced. They had some excellent quality foods, the coffee was really good and some of the puddings they sold as well as bread and pastry. So a small latte was something like 2.5 Euros which was ok, but a large was 5! The croissants for example were 1 euro so great value but a bag of sliced bread was between 3.5 and 5 euros. We cooked a lot and shopped in Sagres at the Inter Marche (which isn't that great if you are looking for fresh, Portuguese food) but it was ok and there were some good things you could find. I wish we had discovered an open fruit and vegetable market and somewhere to buy fresh fish but then it might exist, we just didn't find it. Anyhow, all in all, this was a fantastic trip, a beautiful resort where they have thought of every single detail and it really truly is great for families.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel