I am writing this review after two successful visits to Martinhal (May 2011 and May 2012) and in advance of our third stay in May this year so it's no surprise I am giving it five stars. I thought I'd give a quick rundown of the pros and cons (only a few).
* Location, location, location: Martinhal is located in the quieter Western Algarve with a gorgeous beach on its doorstep. We always stay in a Bay House and benefit from a lovely view from our terrace of a nature reserve and the ocean - nothing else!
*Stylish: I like to go on holiday to somewhere with a bit of contemporary oomph and Martinhal delivers in this area in both the public spaces and in the guest accommodation.
* Spacious: Although we have been there over the English May half-term break (twice), the resort never feels too busy because there are so many different pools to choose from and of course the beach.
* Range of activities: The resort has a weekly programme aimed at families but also with some activities for adults (whale watching, pilates etc). I'm looking forward to trying paddleboarding this time and am hoping to indulge in some spa time with friends.
* Friendly: By and large, the multinational staff are welcoming and try to be as helpful as possible.
* Service: Basic food supplies are provided on arrival and all accommodation is cleaned daily, which is great when you've been to the beach and brought half of the sand back with you.
* Food: The food is OK but the menus do not change and are a bit unimaginative so eating out quickly loses its appeal. It is also a bit pricey for what it is. Luckily, most accommodation is self-catering and I think we'll be doing more self-catering this trip.
* Need a car: OK, a lot of people who go to Martinhal do not hire a car but I can't imagine not being able to get to some of the other fantastic beaches in the area so I highly recommend hiring a car to try out Zavial, Beliche and loads of other beaches. There is a fab restaurant at Zavial (not open on Mondays) - good simple fish with a view to die for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the finest luxury family resort in Europe. Positioned within a protected natural park near the historic fishing port of Sagres, on Portugal’s unspoiled western Algarve coast, Martinhal is where luxury meets Nature. Martinhal welcomes families and couples, and the greeting is warm, open and generous. Guests feel at home. And it’s memorable. This is where life-long friendships will blossom, and where lasting impressions will be made. Stylish, contemporary architecture complements the organic personality of the resort, which has been shaped to blend effortlessly into the indigenous landscape. This is function and form at its best. This is sustainability. And Martinhal is more. For conferences, weddings and celebrations, Europe’s finest luxury resort sets the scene. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Martinhal Sagres Beach Resort & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Martinhal Beach Hotel Sagres
- Martinhal Beach Resort And Hotel