“Amazing, amazing, amazing”

Ranked #38 of 76 Hotels in Portimao
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Amazing, amazing, amazing”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

I went to this hotel with my girlfriend and had an amazing time. All rooms are self catering and come with everything you need and more. We had a room looking out over the pool. The location is incredible being just a few minutes from a beautiful beach and many cheap but good quality restaurants. There is a mini supermarket with enough food 2 minutes away or 2 big supermarkets around 10 minutes walk at a local shopping center. There is also a games room and a pool side bar that sells good quality and cheap food and drinks if you did not fancy going anywhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank nander8018

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
rhode island
Reviewed July 29, 2009

My family and I visited Portimao and stayed at this wonderful hotel. All I can say is I have stayed in many other facilities in Portimao and will be returning to the Mar A Vista the next trip. We are from the United States and visit Portugal almost yearly for the last 19 yrs. This is a spacious and clean home away from home. The staff is very acommadating and most pleasant . We cannot say enough about the central location, easy to get around in the Algarve. This is a wonderful place to bring the family.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank maryanibal
Gibraltar
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Stayed at the Mar a Vista whilst on an Easter weekend break to watch the A1GP in Portimao (about 20 mins drive away).
The aparthotel is actually situated in Praia do Vau, not too far from the beach (can't comment on that as we didn't get to see it!) and with a few lovely restaurants close by.

Firstly, the reception was welcoming and efficient. Keys handed over in record time. My husband found the owner of the onsite bar coming to welcome him as I dealt with this! We were in room 47 on the 3rd floor - and we were on that floor alone. The apartment had, as previously described, large bedroom with 2 single beds and plenty of wardrobe space, fully equipped bathroom with lovely powerful hot shower. Nice size separate kitchen though my one criticism would be lack of utensils and pots (i.e. no way of getting fried eggs out of the pan, no scissors). You have to ask at reception for a kettle though a bonus is a toaster in the kitchen - excellent! Lovely clean tea-towels and bathroom towels, and plenty of them.

Living room is large and airy with a small balcony (only had 2 seats and we were 3 - I'm sure that would be rectified). Sofa bed in living area with TV and dining table. My only word of caution here would be that the door from the hallway into the living area is glass pannelled and would not afford much privacy!!

Parking is available in front of the hotel - we had no problem and the hotel was full.

The bar is excellent with a very friendly host, Roger. He makes excellent Gin Martinis as my husband would testify! Plenty of cold Super Bok for those who like beer. We had a steak & egg breakfast in the bar one morning and an amazing pork sandwich one evening. If this is a yardstick, his food is tasty and plentiful. I would imagine lunch would be a superb affair so no need to move from the swimming pool/garden area, which looked lovely. There's also a games room with pool & table football.

Loads of paperback books in the reception area so if you finish ours you can swap it for another; an excellent idea.

Close by (10 mins walk) are 2 lovely restaurants; Miravau, which is mainly a fish restaurant next to the water fountain roundabout. Superb wines and the best fish, ever! Service is excellent, mostly thanks to Mario. Next door but one is the Servivau. More of a family cooking affair, but excellent quality and flavours all the same. The host, Manuel, is extremely welcoming and kind. There are other restaurants but these 2 looked the best and we were only there for 3 nights (we ate in the Miravau twice!)

One sad thing about the area; there is so much over development, it's not really somewhere that has a 'centre', though Praia da Rocha is a short drive away - fine if you want Irish bars etc. A shame because Rocha beach is one of the most amazing ever. The Mar a Vista is a nice looking small block away from the towering monstrosities, so maybe the above would be negated by same.

All in all a very positive stay. We're highly likely to stay at the Mar a Vista when we attend another event at the Autodromo do Algarve - lets hope the weather is a bit better next time and we can take advantage of the lovely pool!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank janeymac
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2008

To begin I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

On a short visit to portimao/praida de rocha to meet some friend who were holidaying in a much larger hotel complex about 1 - 1.5 mi away, arriving to the airport early in the morning I picked up my private transfer to the Mar a Vista, upon arriving the very courteous receptionist informed me that the room would not be ready for another couple of hours after 2 pm to be exact. I asked her was there somewhere I could change into shorts/t-shirt and she pointed me to the bathroom, however being too small I asked her to arrange a taxi for me which cost .50c for the phone call and €4.20 for the journey to my friends complex. Whilst waiting on the taxi she let me know where to find the nearest beach some things to do around the area and told me when I do check in and if I require a taxi to dial 9 from my room and they will call one.

Calling back around 3 p.m. with my friends who wanted to see the room I must say we were all astonished, I was on the 7th floor of the 1st building the only room on the floor, upon walking into the room it was like a penthouse apartment a nice big kitchen on the left followed by a very/very large sitting area most comfortable with a sofa bed and a/c that can be adjusted via the remote control, the balcony was at the back of the sitting area was large overlooking the swimming pool/sea. Next door was the bedroom with 2 single beds pushed together to make a double with large wardrobes. Once again this was more than enough for me once again with a seperate a/c which is also individually controlled. Beside the bedroom was the bathroom which was immaculate and very modern with a nice strong shower. I think the towels are changed every third day. I as was only there for 4 days. The door can be triple locked for extra security. The key for the safe-deposit box was €4 per night and €25 refundable deposit which is returned upon leaving.

Although I didn't get to the swimming pool as I the complex every day it looked beautiful and didn't appear to be any shortage of sunbeds.

The bar/lounge is a nice area to sit all being it small. Don't know whether or not they done food there as I didn't stay in there long enough to find out.

I can't say in my short stay that I heard any noise around except for the maids moving their trolleys around the following morning and I never saw any trouble saying that I always got a taxi back from the praia de rocha strip in the early hours of the morning, I walked the short distance a couple of times but only ever in the early evening.

One final point is although the reception IS 24 Hours they lock the glass doors and turn out the lights, but if you tap on the glass the night porter is inside and will open the door should you require to collect a key, as I left the key at reception on my first night I got a bit of a fright when I saw the place all locked up at a very early hour of the morning but as soon as I got the night porters attention there was no problem.

Due to an early flight home I had a very early check out of 6.00 am, once again I had to call the porter to get back the safe deposit, but the girl on the reception was able to confirm my transport back to faro the evening before if you require another transport i'm sure they will arrange for a taxi to call for the specified time.

Would I return to this hotel! Without a doubt I will and I would highly recommend it.

• Liked — Reception staff/comfortable seating/living area
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank frequenttraveller003
Geordieland
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Stayed at Mar a Vista August 2008, me, husband and two girls aged 17 and 14. It says it is in Portimao but is nearer Praia de Rochas. Hotel immaculate, spotlessly clean and very spacious. Could not fault it at all. Helpful receptionist, friendly bar staff etc. Lovely pool. Kitchen well equipped with full size cooker, fridge freezer, dishwasher, microwave. So could easily do own catering if you wish. Probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in.

Praia de Rochas is strange, lots of empty derelict hotels, shops etc but lots of new hotels being built, why can't they just refurbish old ones. Also lots of high rise hotels which seem to be spoiling the resort. We walked to Praia de Rochas and back frequently at night and during day. Good 10 - 15 minute walk but we found it okay. Had to get taxi to Portimao as it was a bit further. August is Portuguese hols so not many English at all. Traffic very busy and cars parked every available space. Beaches packed with Portuguese during the day but they don't seem to go in the bars very much, just walk up and down streets at night. Strip can be a bit scary later on - after midnight, people selling drugs etc.

Bit chilly at night, with breeze off the sea so take a cardigan.

The Strip at Praia de Rochas is good and lively, beer anything from 1Euro to 4 Euros, had some fab meals for about 7-10 euros per person. Went to a place called Claire's a few times, good value. Lots of Irish Bars, some live entertainment, quizzes, karaoke etc.

Organised trips seemed expensive - i.e. Portuguese night 45 euros per person and bbq in day 49 euros per person, kids seem to become adults at age 10 so can be expensive paying for 4 adults. Other than a trip to Splish and Splash water park which cost 17.50 per person, we did our own thing.

Found train station at Portimao and got the train to Lagos for the day which only cost 1.35 euros each and was great fun. Also went to Silves for the night to meet friends, 1 Euros each (got taxi back which cost 22 euros). Not much for nights at Silves but lovely Castle and church there. Trains on time and easy to use. Ticket seller understood what we were asking and gave us a copy of the timetable. Organised shopping trip to Lagos would have cost 30 euros each so train well worth a go. It also goes to Faro and Albufeira, but we did not have time to do these.

Went to Alvor for the night which was also great, cost about 8 euros in a taxi. Smaller resort.

Shame Praia de Rochas seems to be getting over developed but we still had a great holiday, especially once we cottoned on to the trains.

Certainly could not fault the hotel, the best one I think we have ever stayed in but would probably not go back to resort would try somewhere else in Portugal.

Hope you find this helpful.

• Liked — Cleanliness, space and equipment provided i.e. dishwasher et
  • Disliked — Possibly location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Gilltel
Edinburgh
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Read the reviews and all bar a couple were good. Even then the poor reviews had nothing to do with the accommodation but holiday experience e.g. mugged , dogs barking and police arrests nearby. The reviews were very helpful.

Arrived 5th June 2008 with wife and two daughters aged 20 and 23 for 8 days of chilling out. Had a two bedroom apartment which was spacious to say the least and had just been freshly re-painted. In fact a lot of painting going on inside and out but this did not disturb us. Large sitting/dinning room, 2 large bedrooms each with en-suite bathrooms, air-conditioning, downstairs WC and fully fitted kitchen with everything bar a kettle. Asked for one and got it for heating on gas cooker. Not great but did the job. Grounf floor patio facing the pool and upstairs balcony from twin bedded room facing pool also and able to watch the sunset and sea.

Maybe slight concern regaring security as patio doors did not seem too secure when locked. CCTV cameras were being rigged up front rear and side of aparthotel when we were there.

Very quiet due to early in the season but we got exactly what we wanted peace and quiet to relax by the pool ( which was large) and to read books and for me to go fishing. Main Praia da Rocha centre within walking distance for restaurants and shopping. Portimao centre and sea/river front worth a visit for shopping and relaxing in strret bars/cafes/restaurants. Basically everything within easy reach as taxis cheap about 4 Euros for most short journeys. We're not into going back to the same place but I would certainly recommend the Mar a Vista.

• Liked — The room sizes and the facilities
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank WildroverEdinburgh
Tyneside
Reviewed February 19, 2008

We stayed at the Mar a Vista for Whit Week holiday and were over the moon with it. We arrived quite late & were dealt with in Reception immediately. We were very impressed with the apartment, We had 2 bedroomed apartment which meant both bedrooms were upstairs so we didnt have to worry about the kids being down/upstairs away from us, both were ensuite and the place was very clean. Its a little out the way, wasn't much in the way of restuarants & bars near by but Alvor & Praia de Rocha were only 15 mins away by taxi. Reception staff booked all days we wanted to go on & bus collected us near to Hotel with no problems. This is a lovely hotel if you want to get away from it all & relax by the pool. Pool bar was adequate & provided lovely bar meals. Would recommend

• Liked — Food in pool side bar
  • Disliked — No kettle in apartment, had to boil pans
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family