“excellent food - great surroundings”

Restaurante Dona Barca
Ranked #119 of 542 Restaurants in Portimao
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were recommend to visit this restaurant by our taxi driver - and we werent disappointed.
Lovely surroundings - this isnt one you would stumble upon.
The food was excellent - sardines were beautiful
and the price was even better.
Somewhere where the locals go to eat - the best recommendation there is

Will be back next time I am in Portimao

Reviewed April 22, 2013

My wife and I visited this restaurant several years ago and decided to have lunch there again when in Partimao. It was a miserable Monday morning and there was not much happening in Portimao. This restaurant was however busy as always. The food is nothing fancy. They specialise in simple grilled fresh fish which is excellent. The fish soup I had to start was surprisingly bland and the service at times can be a little haphazard. I ordered potatoes with my grilled sardines and was given a dish of rice some 10 minutes after I had finished my last sardine.
I have seen this restaurant described in a guide book as being the best value for money in the Algarve. I am not sure that this is true but if its simple grilled fish that you want then this is a good place to come.
One starter, 2 mains, a litre of vino verde and a coffee came to €31.75.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's a very nice restaurant. Forget meat when you're eating here. It's all about fish. Especially the grilled Sardines are so tastfull, and it's cheap!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

You can not find better or fresher fish, very well cooked outside on charcoal or deep fried as my carapaulinhos were. Friendly waiter, good house wines, very reasonable prices. Simple but authentic atmosphere. Just a few tourists, mainly locals.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had a meal at this restaurant through recommendation in a book we read. We were not disappointed. We went on a Sunday evening and parked for free in a car park a 5 mins walk from the restaurant. They had all the fresh fish of the day on display in a cabinet for you to see. We ordered 'Cataplana' for 2 because we like to eat typical food of the region when we travel and given this restaurant is well known for its fish, we thought we would try a typical Portuguese fish stew. They brought us some nibbles to begin with - again, typical of the Portuguese cuisine in that area which we loved (olives, carrots, chick peas, etc). Of course you get charged for these but only small amounts and we prefer to have little nibbly dishes like this, typical of the region, which may cost 75 euros each rather than order one starter. The meal was excellent from start to finish and I would highly recommend this place. The man who seemed to be 'the main man' who was our waiter did not seem to speak much English but that kind of added to the charm of the place really! We went in early March so it was really quite cold outside however they seem to own a lot of the buildings around the area and we would imagine this place is absolutely buzzing in the summer months - with outdoor dining and BBQ type setting / food. All really reasonably priced too.