“Wicked fish”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The other reviewers have already said it all, so I'll be quick.

Great fish, perfectly grilled, tasty couverts/accompaniments, totally traditional, random seating sharing tables with invariably friendly locals.

We stay in Lagos each year, and alwaya make at least one train trip to Portimao to come here for lunch.

They have a sister restaurant in Alvor (Morgano do Ze), which is also good, but we far prefer this one.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This restaurants has the outlook and feel of a tourist trap, but is far from it. The locals are largely in the majority, so it is definitely a good choice. We tried the cataplana with clams, which was absolutely succulent. But, as in most seafood restaurants, all the fish on offer was caught the very same day. Although it was quite unnecessary after the filling main course, we had desserts too (Dom Rodrigo and Alfarroba cakes), which delicious as well. I would see you MUST eat here when you are near Portimao!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

What a fabulous find! Full of locals so that's a good sign. It doesn't have a view nor does it have fine furniture nor do the waiters speak much English but the food was fantastic and more than made up for any of the above. We had prawns to start with - large, juicy and tasty. 2 also had the fish soup but I'd probably give that a miss if there were a next time. For mains, one person had chicken & chips - boring, I know, but nevertheless it was very much enjoyed and one person had steak which again was good but check out the photo below for the largest Red Snapper (pargo) that I have ever seen that more than fed 4 of us. Absolutely fantastic! If you're a fish lover then try this place out and check out their fresh fish that they offer you - choose one and see it being cleaned and put on the BBQ.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

The atmosphere of Dona Barca was the best of any restaurant we visited. The freshly caught fish were on display in a glass freezer and the outdoor kitchen with really tall chimney was entertaining to watch. The menu depends on what was caught that day so if you eat later in the evening like us, not everything will still be available. But all 5 of us still absolutely LOVED what we ordered. I had the sea bass which was delicious and the waiter de-boned my fish for me at the table. My mother and brother devoured their plates of sardines and we all stuffed ourselves with the delicious fresh bread. For desert we had this traditional Portuguese desert called a Dom Rodriguo and while my sister and I found it delicious, my Dad thought it was too sweet. I'm not even sure exactly what it was but it came wrapped in foil and tasted like sweet cinnamon-y goodness! For 5 meals including drinks and deserts, our bill was the cheapest we had our whole trip and the food was some of the best!

Eat here for the authentic experience and delicious seafood at a great price!

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Its absolutely fabulous to find a traditional eatery, that actually makes you feel you are abroad, the wonderfull hustle and bustle, and enjoyment of locals enjoying well cooked traditional food and drink, you can pick from the menu or chose your own fish from the fridge...the restaurant is always busy, even throughout the winter, so you are assured your food is always fresh. Most dishes come accomanied with traditional algarvian tomato salad and potatoes. We have been many times at all times of the year and always get a warm welcome. I particularly enjoy and ice cold jug of vino verde...and lovely homemade puds.....will be back very soon......very good value