We spent 3 nights at this hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed this stay. Very picturesque huddled in the mountains and very much like Portmerrion in North Wales (The Prisoner).
A couple of the reviews on here are just about the Spa and probably do not do the hotels and general resort justice - although I appreciate many people will visit here for the Spa. We stayed in a suite in the D.Carlos hotel. Very clean and roomy and beautifully furnished. Nice bathroom. Lovely view from balcony. Good standard of cleaning. There is a large bar with pool tables etc available although the bar in this hotel wasn't open during our visit as the hotel very quiet- but bars and drinks available elsewhere in the resort.
We ate at the main restaurant twice where we also had breakfast which was good and the house wine is very good. I had steak and fish both of which were very good. Sausage bread was delicious.
Nice choice for breakfast - very good bread - nice choice of continental plus cooked eggs if required.
The outdoor pool was excellent and very clean. As the hotel was quiet we spent most days there on our own which was lovely. The water is cold but the warmth from the sun is a lovely combination.
Nice little resort with a few artisan shops and a gift shop and post office. A lovely little bar which serves snacks during the day.
My partner paid to use the gym, indoor pool and steam/sauna - about 15 euro which he enjoyed - but would have been good if these had been complimentry for hotel guests as quite an expensive hotel.
A couple of slight issues I would comment on. Bags took about an hour to get to our room. The chap on reception was lovely and polite and friendly but I think were perhaps short staffed as it was quite quiet. Also, one morning no towels by the pool. These are just little things and did not effect our enjoyment of the stay.
All of the reception staff were very helpful - booking taxis etc and helping out with local restaurants.
We spent a day in Monchique (about 10 minue taxi ride) Worth the visit. We walked up to the ruined covent which also affords great views across Monchique and the mountains. Nice square with lots of nice cafes. Even a great traditional barber where my partner had his annual holiday hair cut (excellent barber and very god price -just up the hill on the right off the square). We also visited a restuarant called Paradiso Monthana?? which is next to Las Rampas which has got rave reviews on this site but was closed when we visited. We had Piri Piri chicken which was delicious and the sunset and the views were fantastic. Local taxi would be able to take you there
All in all a very enjoyable stay. The resort is lovely - tucked away in the hills. Staff polite and friendly. Good food and lovely pool.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the top of Algarve!Resembling a white village perfectly nestled among the Monchique Hills, Villa Termal features an outstanding Thermal spa using the only thermal waters in the south of Portugal . An indoor warm rich mineral water pool and exquisit facial and body treatments and massages by La Phyto are a welcoming card.The elegant and charming rooms distributed through 5 unique lodging complexes, are furnished with 18th- and 19th-century pieces.Guests of Villa Termal Das Caldas De Monchique Spa Resort can enjoy some great tapas and a glass of local wine at the stone-walled bar " O Tasco". The 1692 Restaurant offers a grill menu and Portuguese cuisine with traditional delicacies from the Monchique region, including special meat dishes.The outdoor swimming pool is surrounded by green garden and padded loungers. Besides relaxing in the sauna or steam bath, guests can enjoy walking and mountain biking tours in Serra de Monchique National Park. Other Nature related activities are available including canoeing, Climbing, Paintball, mountain bike downhill just 10 min away.Perfect for a relaxing getaway or an alternative holidays, the Villa termal das caldas de Monchique is 20 min away from the main stream locations, 25 min from the The best Algarvian beaches on the Atlantic, 40 min from the best wild Alentejo coast and Beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Villa Termal das Caldas de Monchique Spa & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Termal Das Caldas De Monchique Spa And Resort
- Villa Termal Das Caldas De Monchique Hotel Monchique