“Mixed feelings - but affordable.”
Review of Residencial Solar

Residencial Solar
Ranked #79 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Lagos
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I am quite torn on this hotel after staying for several nights in July. The contributing factors to my internal conflict are as follows:

- There were major issues with my initial room, but the staff were responsive (they found a new room for me in the middle of the night and had a professional arrive the next morning to fix the problem). The staff went out of their way to help ensure that the rest of my stay was positive, but it was a really bad beginning.
- The location is extremely convenient to the bus station, the downtown, and the beaches, but also can be loud at night on the lower floors.
- The morning breakfast includes freshly squeezed orange juice, which was a nice touch.
- The rooms are quite dated and elevator doesn't work.

It's not the Ritz, but if you're looking for a place to just sleep, then it's probably ok. They're going to need to invest in an update soon though, and some simple changes (e.g.. using white sheets, towels, and shower curtains rather than a random mix) would dramatically improve the overall feel. I wish I hadn't had the bad experience on the first night, because otherwise it would have been a fine place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jlj202

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Location is allways very important for me. This place is approx 50 meter from the busstation! King, helpful check in. I was early, my room wasn't ready, but they allowed to get in and organise myself. The breakfast was very good overall.
Lugagge store worked, room facilities are excellent for the price that was 35 euro for a night.

Room Tip: Elevator doesn't worked, try to arrange a lower ground room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nyarstomi
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. The staff is what makes this simple, spartan but safe and comfortable pension THE place for travelers not looking for frills. The rooms are admittedly dated and worn, but impeccably clean. The elevator doesn't work (and that's probably why the rates are so low). But when I travel I don't look for (and want to pay for unnecessary) frills. Wifi is reliable and that's pretty much what I need aside from a quiet and clean room.

The family managing this place cannot do enough to accommodate small requests with a very personal touch. The location of the hotel is ideal - two minutes from the bus station (handy for those day trips around the Algarve) and very near to the city center (300 meters?) where I wouldn't want to stay because of all the in-your-face commercialism. The breakfasts were mostly homemade pastries (I saw one of the staff making a chocolate cake the night before) - even the orange juice was freshly squeezed upon asking for one.

Thank you so much Renato, Clausa and family for a very memorable stay. I can honestly say, it made a big difference in how I enjoyed and experienced Lagos.

Alan

(BTW, they're building a rooftop terrace so future travelers will have the pleasure of enjoying the city views without having to go in the city center - and I didn't see any place there that had one.)

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the back would be more quiet, not that the location itself is noisy. There are metal...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I can recommend this as a good budget pension/hostel. With a private room for a cheap price, I found it perfect as a base to explore the Algarve.

Having a fridge to keep a few cold ones was nice, the bed and shower were fine and the room was clean. I guess have a look at the pictures to get an idea, it's not a luxury place but good value. The staff were nice, you get a good continental breakfast and the location is great too.

There can sometimes be a bit of noise from the streets, hard to avoid in a lively town i guess. I was on one of the higher floors though so it wasn't too bad. One other thing was that the lift wasn't working, but it's only a couple of floors.

Tips:
- I always found free parking just up the road on Rua dom Vasco da Gama in front of the bus station (early June, maybe it's busier later in the season).

- I was also relieved to find I could walk into the centre via vasco da gama or Av. dos Descobrimentos, as there's a big hill on the other road.

- I suggest taking a boat trip to see the caves/grutas early in the trip, you also get to see the other possible activities on the way. Catching a sunset at Sagres or Cabo de Sao Vicente is also lovely.

- Stroll into any cafe and ask for a cafe pingado, you won't regret it! The portuguese do GOOD coffee :-D

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Excellent location within walking distance to beach, bus & train station, and town. We were pleasantly surprised to find a small refrigerator in the double room we rented so could easily fix breakfast in our room, has TV, excellent free Wi-Fi and abundance of hot water in the shower. Our double also had a twin bed, desk & hanging closet. People at reception are very pleasant. We also had a small balcony that you could step out on to. A few nights you could hear music from the bar nearby, but with the shutters shut it wasn't too loud on the 3rd floor. Elevator was not working so need to be able to walk up stairs. No breakfast was available when we booked which wasn't a problem as plenty of cafes near by or as mentioned could fix cold breakfast in room. Rooms were cleaned and beds made every day. A great value!

Room Tip: We had room 25 on the 3rd floor - nice size room for 2 but can handle 3 people as has twin bed as we...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Janicew13
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Good location, just a few minutes walk from the pedestrian zone
I had a single room on the first floor.
no need to use the "out of order" lift.
even with closed windows you can hear the voices down on the street. I do not know if it is more quiet on the upper floors.
the bathroom a bit of old.
everything was clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.
good continental breakfast with fresh orange juice and roasted coffee. if you do not need great comforts this is a good value for money alternative in the Lagos hostal scene

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The people in the hoste is really nice. But the rooms are really old and tiny. It has all you need (including a fridge, tv, air...) he bathroom was old but ok. The cleaning is average. The breakfast is fine: portuguese buffet with some fruit, portuguese muffins, toast, coffe, juice.....

Also so places to park the car in the street were ok.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple