“wee gem”
Review of Lagosmar Hotel

Lagosmar Hotel
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Brill Hotel Fabulous staff , couldn't do enough to make your stay comfortable . Rooms cleaned every day Brilliant location----central but quiet if your room faces the back---huge terrace, Rooms on groung floor (6) are very large with every thing you need (only thing missing is a wee fridge)
Breakfast basic but yummy. Rolls are so tasty- have loads :-) Roof terrace must be visited to see the view over Lagos.Awesome !
Don't believe the bad reports cos those people must be too hard to please. NO FAULTS WHATSO EVER .

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank weemacf
There are newer reviews for Lagosmar Hotel

Reviewed October 6, 2009

Perfect weekend stop over . Excellent location in centre of town although no where to park car.
Rooms were very clean with aircon and a hairdryer .
Breakfast was your typical continental , bread, ham , cheese and coffee

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JuJuCardiff
Reviewed July 8, 2009

My wife and I stayed for four nights at the Lagosmar and we did not think much of it. We got quite a reasonably priced deal for our holiday but even a lot of basic standards were not met that you do and should expect from a hotel.

Our room stank of damp as did our beds and pillows. There was no air conditioning and no soap or any toiletries supplied. The view from our bedroom was of a wall opposite. The door to the room did not close and open properly and you could here other couples making noise in all the other rooms throughout the night.

Breakfast was no good. Just a few bread rolls and coffee that you had to fetch yourself out of the coffee vending machine..it tasted pretty bad. You would have thought they would have bothered to brew a few fresh pots of coffee for the guests. We had to eat out for breakfast for our holiday even though we had payed for bed and breakfast.

One good thing about the hotel is that it has a nice roof terrace that overlooks the town. We sat up there and I decided to go and ask at reception if they had any chess sets or a pack of cards we could borrow..the lady looked at me like I had just escaped from the local mental asylum!! How much does it cost for a couple of decks of cards or a chess set for your guests? How tight can you get?

I would not return to this hotel. If you are not fussed about cleanliness or service and just want a place to rest your head this is the place for you. If you want to have a memorable holiday go book elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlfonzeH
Reviewed October 19, 2008

Perfectly placed in the centre of the old town - though steep lane and steps may be a lttle difficult for wheelchairs. Traditional rooms spacious, spotless and comfortable. Breakfast traditional Portuguese with fresh bread buns straight from the bakers. Staff could not me more friendly or helpful. If you have a room with no balcony, the huge walled roof catches the sun all day. At this price you couldn't do better.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sedumray
Reviewed September 7, 2008

A fairly basic hotel but a fantastic location, just off the main square of the town.
The place is showing it's age a little and it could probably do with a re-furb. but the beds are comfortable and it's clean ! Breakfast is basic ( continental style with bread,jam etc plus ham and cheese. Coffee,tea fruit juice). I know some people have complained about the breakfast, but , you can have as much of the bread, jam , coffee,tea as you want ! ( Not the cheese and ham though !)
The staff were friendly and couldn't do enough to help with any problems.
The veiw from our room wasn't great, ( but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyway!)
It's the location that wins out in my opinion, perfectly situated just off the main square.
The price? £208 for the week for two of us !!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bonyking
Reviewed July 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Lagosmar from 28 June till 04 July 2008. We were slightly apprehensive haveing seen some of the reviews on here, but we got a cheap deal and were desparate (booked the day before we left). When we arrived very late in the evening we were asked if we wanted a double bed or two twin beds (we booked a double.) We found out later we were in the smallest double room in the hotel. Another married couple who arrived the next morning were told they couldn't have the double room they had booked. The room was very basic with no balcony, no air conditioning, no soap or any other toiletries and no fridge. I asked for soap and was laughed at. I had to trek halfway round the town on a Sunday morning to get soap and shower gel and also paid 15 euros for a fan as the hotel doesn't offer this service. By the way - I left my fan there so if they say they haven't got one they are definitely lying now! For most of the first night we could hear another couple making love, and the noise continued to be a problem throughout the week. The church bells do wake you every morning, but we didn't find this too unpleasant. I tried breakfast the first morning. The rolls and jam were very nice but there was absolutely nothing else. The milk for tea and coffee was off and had lumps in. I didn't go back again. There was also a 'bar' which looked very nice but when we asked one night if we could use it we were told 'yes, but we only sell water'. A blatant lie unless the bottles of spirits and port behind it were empty. On the second day we asked to use the safe and were told they key often gets stuck and sometimes breaks in the lock. When she tried it it was very hard to lock and unlock and we were told we would have to pay extra. Again, we declined and took our chances. This was a big risk considering we were on the ground floor and the maid opened the window during the day when we were out. The maids came 3 times during the week, and chnaged bedding and towels and hoovered the floor but never ever mopped it. If you walked on that floor in bare feet your feet would be black with dirt and I won't even mention what was under the bed! The electric did not look safe either. Whenever I unplugged something the socket came away from the wall and my husband saw sparks come out of it. However, having said all this, the bed was comfortable, they helped us confirm our transfers and the location of the hotel can't be rivalled expecially at the price we paid. It also had a very nice roof terrace, but it does not have a pool up there which I read somewhere that it did. You got very nice breeze up there, could see the whole town and there were loungers and chairs to use. I think the point I would make is if you are staying for a couple of days on a city break or a multi location holiday its fine, but if you are staying for a week you end up spending a lot of money on things you should already have and will eventually get annoyed with it all.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JuliaP_79
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We had a lovely stay at the Lagosmar. The staff were very friendly, and speak English, as well as other languages. They made us feel very welcome.
It is a lovely old property. Very clean and comfortable.
The breakfast is continental style. Lots of lovely, fresh bread rolls, with jam and butter. Plenty of fruit juice, coffee and tea. It is a very pleasant, bright, clean breakfast room, where you just go in and help yourself.
The reception is open 24 hours, which would be a great advantage, for anyone staying out until the early hours.
We will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple