“Great price poor food”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 19, 2019

We had a fabulous night at Retiro but that was because of the relaxed atmosphere and the people there. The service was slow and the food very poor. I had a butchered chicken pil pil and my wife had a shoe leather pork ribs. It was very disappointing but despite the poor food we enjoyed the night and would return. The prices are very reasonable and the rather shabby looking restaurant is made up for the people who eat there.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed March 4, 2019 via mobile

I was been two time in this place to have food. The first time, on Saturday night, after 15 minutes waiting, I let the place without have any kind of food because the staff don't come to order in my table. The second time, for lunch on Sunday, I ordered some appetizers (stuffed small cuttlefish), fry codfish with potatoes, half liter of local white wine, bread, olives and a budin(flan) plus coffee and I payed in total 18 euro. The price is quiet good, compared to the high cost of the other touristic place in Lagos and the quality also was been good. If I will comeback in Lagos, I will be one more time here.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

Many visits here, always great food, wine very good, staff lovely, reasonable prices. What more can you ask for.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 17, 2018

We tried this rather shabby looking restaurant after seeing some very good reviews, and it was close to our apartment. Very good experience on the whole. Service was quite slow to start with, and we had to try and prompt some attention. But once we were served, service was fine, and the food wa every tasty, and alottle usual. We have a large piece of raw steak on a wooden board with a hot plate within the board. This enabled us to cook the meat on the plate,and it was very good. Huge piece of meat. And very cheap prices, and the red wine was ridiculously cheap. Definitely a locals restaurant, and it felt a little like the locals had priority for service. But enjoyed the experience.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

Went here with friends to celebrate graduation....wouldnt be my choice.
Busy road steel chairs with no cushions paper table cloths and no seat in gents loo !
Took ages to order food from the waiter with open shirt and gold medallion ....I know very 70s but that seemed to be the theme with ageing staff and female owner.
We ordered steaks on hot stone plus several other dishes. No vege option only soup and salad. When it arrived an hour later the meat was as tough as shoe leather even with a steak knife. The potatoes / rice portion was child size, salad was very basic. With the hot stone your steak keeps cooking while you eat ..so no chance of medium rare. All served in stainless steel dishes like an aeroplane meal. House wine at 4€ for a litre jug was great.
We didn't stay for dessert

Date of visit: September 2018