“Brilliant!!!”

The Mountain Bike Adventure
Ranked #15 of 73 Tours in Lagos
More attraction details
Owner description: Please note the location is a meeting point only. You need to book the tours in advance by email or telephone. Guided mountain bike tours on hand crafted trails we have been building since 2005. We have rides to suit all levels and very high quality bikes. You will be guided in small groups by qualified bike guides to get the best from you time with us.
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Went with a friend for a week of mountain biking, had a brilliant time. Jim / Simon / Tim were great and knew the area really well and always had good suggestions and tips.

Always started with a coffee... the popper way to start a day!

Don't worry about your ability as we came along massively over the week. Would recommend a day to a week....loads to do!

2  Thank BobsmithBobsmith
"off road"
in 3 reviews
"picnic lunch"

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Went to Portugal with my partner, who arranged a day’s mountain biking as a surprise for me. I haven’t done any serious mountain bilking for years so I was both excited and worried. I did not need to worry as Jim and Simon were both great as were the lads who were also on the ride with us and obviously had far more experience than us. At the beginning of the ride Jim asked if we wanted to do some steep single track or go down via wider gravel track, as we did not want to spoil the ride for the other riders we went for the single track and let me tell you I am glad we did they were fast technical and great fun The ride was about 35k in all with fabulous views ending with a ride round the lake at the bottom. The bikes were awesome and in great condition. My partner and I only managed to complete about 33k of the ride on the bike completing the last two in the jeep, but, I intend to get fitter and go back to Portugal and do it again. Safety is paramount throughout the ride with both leaders keeping in touch via walky talky with one riding with you and the other following in the jeep. At the end of the ride Jim took us to a dam where we could have a swim. Simon one of the leaders decide to do a back flip into the dam (see picture) Thank to everyone for making the day both memorable and exciting

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Myself and friend arranged day tour via email, clear meet instructions, we were provided with full suspension bikes and offered other equipment but used our own. Jim was our guide (and also owner) and we went straight into ride, there were two stops or Coffee and then lunch (included in price) also plenty of water stops ( which also act as photo opportunities) the ride was a great mix of dirt track, x-country, downhill and some basic technical, 40km in total. I would highly recommend this trip to keen amateur mountain bikers who like to get the adrenaline pumping a little. There are however other rides available which I'm pretty sure would give more of an adrenaline buzz such as the 10km downhill which I'm hoping to return for one day. Jim is an awesome guide, and has a lot of experience, plus good laugh. Had an awesome day and have no reservations in recommending this company, tour and ride to others, good value for money too.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Enjoyed an uplift day in the company of Jim Carroll who owns the Mountain Bike Adventure in the impressive Monchique area. This is not just any old guided tour....Jim is an awesome rider who has managed to build some amazing trails that flow brilliantly through stunning landscapes. When I say build…. Jim has actually built many of these trails himself and a number are only known to him which means you often have this brilliant riding to yourself as our group did!

Firstly, Jim takes you to the highest peak to enjoy a leisurely coffee and take in stunning views. After a professional run through of the type of terrain you are likely to come across, Jim introduces you to your ride for the day which in our case was a well equipped Saracen Ariel which ran very well throughout the day. You then head off for some fantastic, quick, dry (a nice change), swooping singletrack with some nice technical features including rock gardens, fast berms and a tight run through eucalyptus trees. Jim makes it easy by stopping at key points so nobody gets lost.

Jim is totally into the experience of his customers and certainly made it a day to remember. In total we did 4 runs on the 10k all-mountain red run decent even enjoying a spot of lunch along the way – well deserved as it was…..hotter than hell!!!

Exhausted at the end of the day but a brilliant experience. Cheers Jim

See more reviews
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is the third time I've been in Monchique with The Mountain Bike Adventure, and each time it has been a great experience. The full suspension bikes provided were excellent and using decent kit added to the enjoyment. The downhill routes are challenging, but Jim breaks it into sections and gives good coaching through each section. On the whole the trails are pretty raw and dusty, but the guys have been shaping them and building berms to improve the flow. Each time I've been there have been new trials and the trails are continuously improving. Although I'm pretty inexperienced at downhill I was able to get a lot out of the day, learn a lot and increase my speed and confidence.
Overall a thoroughly enjoyable and exhausting day with great views of the Algarve.