“Awesome”

Onyria Palmares Golf
Ranked #39 of 84 Outdoor Activities in Lagos
More attraction details
Owner description: Onyria Palmares Golf is a 27 hole championship course located in Lagos, Algarve, Portugal just 45 minutes from Faro Airport. The course is designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. and already awarded with 7 prizes including 26th in Golf Word’s magazine ranking "TOP 100 Europe".The three loops of nine holes – the Alvor, Lagos and Praia courses – enjoy expansive panoramic views across the Bay of Lagos, with each lay-out offering a different kind of golfing challenge in a glorious and natural environment.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The golf course is exactly what golf should be about ! Hit the ball straight , avoid the hazards and work hard on your short game , chipping and putting round here is an art !! Fantastic experience ! Would love to be a member

AntonioPintoCoelho, General Manager at Onyria Palmares Golf, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your visit and for your fantastic review.
It’s a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed our course and had fun playing it.
Robert Trent Jones Jr. always tries to have 3 characteristics in his courses: Beauty, Flexibility and Challenge.
Beauty here was arranged by the Atlantic and Alvor views. Flexibility was found with many tee boxes and large greens with different platforms. And I guess on your comment you just touch the point of the Challenge I think this course has.
Looking forward to see you in Lagos sometime soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Just a great golf course. I am playing there since 10 years now and since the rebuilding is finally done it became an even more interesting course with the option of Alvor, Lagos and Praia (love the Praia holes....) in an excellent condition. Overall the course is challenging which I really like and each hole is very different to play. I also want to highlight the range where you can play from the grass with target greens and bunkers. Besides that there is a beautiful view on Meia Praia and the practice balls are great quality.

AntonioPintoCoelho, General Manager at Onyria Palmares Golf, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your visit and fantastic review about Onyria Palmares Golf.
It was a great transformation Robert Trent Jones Jr. did here in this property. In the end of the work we did ask him many times to pick his favorite hole. “I can’t pick my favorite child”, he always said.
I appreciate the fact you also had time to test the Driving Range. We are opening soon a Golf Academy so guest can have the opportunity to have swing analysis.
I hope you had time to play all the rounds, the first one Alvor in parkland, the second in an heathland environment called Lagos and the last in fantastic links with the name Praia.
Looking forward to see you here again soon.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Played holes 1 - 18 during September 2013. Pro shop great customer service, bar / restaurant fantastic views from the terrace looking out over Meia Praia and to the left Alvor beach. The course itself really is superb and was in great condition. If like myself you have stayed away from visiting this course during the closing of the old and transition to the new (with a few years to let it mature) then now is the time to return and give it a try!

AntonioPintoCoelho, General Manager at Onyria Palmares Golf, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your visit to Onyria Palmares Golf and for your fantastic review.
It feels very well to hear such great compliments and to know that you had a good time here.
The views here always incredible but I think the new work done by Robert Trent Jones Jr. really adds something else. To everyone’s surprise, just after 6 months of the opening date we started to get international awards for the quality of the design, but clients praise is still the best reward.
You played holes 1 to 18 which is the parkland and heathland areas. On your next visit make sure you also test the holes 19 to 27 to get the links experience. Trent Jones described the Praia holes as a “warmer Scotland” and I couldn’t agree more.
Looking forward to see you here in the near future.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

27 holes ideally located on top of Meia Praia. The club house is modest but has 2 terraces with wonderful views on the ocean.

AntonioPintoCoelho, General Manager at Onyria Palmares Golf, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for you nice review about Onyria Palmares Golf.
It give us great joy to receive this type of comment and helps keep motivation levels high.
We do feel fortunate to have the Lagos Bay and Alvor estuary views daily and it’s great to see the reaction of first time visitors.
I do hope you visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Yes, the views from the tees at Palmares are wonderful, but I went there primarily to play a good golf course. This isn't one: there are far too many blind shots, and the undulations on the greens are so extreme that putting is often just a matter of luck. Above all, the distances between the greens and the tees are very long, and this entails miles of concrete pathways - the course is designed for buggies, not for golfers who like to walk the course and appreciate it. I have no intention of returning there.

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review and your visit to Onyria Palmares Golf.
We really appreciate direct feedback since many of the comments we get very often help us improve and serve better.
I’m sorry to hear you didn’t have a good time here and I apologize that we didn’t meet your expectation.
Regarding the design aspects, we deeply believe in the experience our architect Robert Trent Jones Jr, since he was considered by “The Golf Research Group” has the most powerful brand of the business!
In fact many critics did decide to give our course some very nice awards. Just to name a few: “Golf World” has considered our course as the 23rd best course in continental Europe; “Rolex” has included us in the TOP 1000 in the world; “Today’s Golfer” and “Golf Digest” ranked this course has TOP 3 in Portugal. Curiously also the “PGA’s of Europe” also like the design of the course and last December, for the second consecutive year, hosted here their “International Team Championship”.
Concerning the buggy comment I thank you for the remark. If I may suggest next time try the Lagos and Praia loops (holes 10 to 27) which are the flatter part of the course much easier to walk.