“Great golf course but play the better 18”

Onyria Palmares Golf
Ranked #44 of 91 Outdoor Activities in Lagos
More attraction details
Owner description: Onyria Palmares Golf is a 27 hole championship course located in Lagos, Algarve, Portugal just 45 minutes from Faro Airport. The course is designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. and already awarded with 7 prizes including 26th in Golf Word’s magazine ranking "TOP 100 Europe".The three loops of nine holes – the Alvor, Lagos and Praia courses – enjoy expansive panoramic views across the Bay of Lagos, with each lay-out offering a different kind of golfing challenge in a glorious and natural environment.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I played the old course many times and loved it. I've also played the new layout since it opened every year but due to course maintenance I was only able to play 1-18 (the alvor and Lagos). This year on my third round I was able to play 19-27 (the Praia) and whilst it rekindled memories of the old layout this 9 just didn't compare to the other 2. If you like a challenge and great views play 1-18. The view from the 4th tee is my personal favourite.
I also took the opportunity to have the attached pro (Al) provide my family ( 3 female non-golfers) with a group lesson on the basics of the golf swing and they all thoroughly enjoyed the experience. He also gave me some good advice on my own swing.
Reception staff are very helpful and its also a good spot for lunch.

Thank Stan.stan
AntonioPintoCoelho, General Manager at Onyria Palmares Golf, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Guest,
Many Thanks for your kind words and for the visit here at Onyria Palmares Golf.
I will pass to our team your friendly comment about the reception staff and this is a very good help to keep them motivated.
Almerindo Sequeira will also be happy to hear you had a good time on your lesson. Almerindo is very well known here as he is also the coach of Ricardo Santos (“European Tour Rookie of the Year” and Nº53 in “Race to Dubai” 26/09/2013).
I’m happy to know you liked the rounds Alvor (parkland style) and Lagos (heathland style). Many of our guests also love to play Praia on the links side, since is something very rare in continental Europe. It’s of course always a matter of personal opinion.
We will looking forward to see you here again soon.

All reviews
"clubhouse"
in 39 reviews
"nines"

Reviewed August 26, 2013

45 euros for a buggy! Course in excellent condition but they are just pricing themselves out of a return visit from us.
8.80 Euros for two large lager shandies.
4 Euros for a can of Fanta orange.
Greed ..we won't be back and we've been playing this course for years

1  Thank MacFalkirk
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Nice layout with great holes and views of the coast and Lagos. The greens are well kept and I would play there again in the future.

AntonioPintoCoelho, General Manager at Onyria Palmares Golf, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind review and for the visit to Onyria Palmares Golf.
It is always very good for us to get this type of feedback and to know guests are having a good time here.
I can see from the pictures you played the Alvor and Lagos rounds. Next time maybe you can also test the challenge of the links part (holes 19-27), described by Robert Trent Jones Jr as a “warmer Scotland”.
We will be looking forward to receive you here again soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The golf course has 27 holes and most have great views over the bay. Good condition and a real pleasure to play. Absolutely loved it.

AntonioPintoCoelho, General Manager at Onyria Palmares Golf, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your very nice review and also for your visit to Onyria Palmares Golf.
For all our team it is fantastic to have this kind of feedback and this gives us the energy to keep trying to improve.
I hope you had time to play all the 27 holes with the different environment namely parkland (Alvor loop, holes 1-9), heathland (Lagos loop, holes 10-18) and links (Praia loop, holes 19-27).
We will be expecting to see you here sometime in the future.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 29, 2013

A good golf course, But a pity they they destroyed the Old Palmares Course correctly described as the Jewel of the Algarve, I was fortunate to be a member and player of the fantastic old course, sadly things change Not always for the better.

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review and for your visit to Onyria Palmares Golf. It is always good for us to get feedback from visitors to better understand where we can improve.
It is inevitable for players that have been here before 2010 to compare the previous course with the new one designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. No doubt that we also keep some very good memories of those times.
During our opening one reporter inquired the architect on the reasons to totally remodel the previous course. Trent Jones replied that he has been in the golf designing business for more than 40 years and has already redesigned a lot of his previous courses. The reason for this is that everything in golf is changing fast, namely evolutions in the construction technique (drainage, irrigation, shaping, etc) and the game itself with new clubs and longer hitters.
I must add that most of our guest like the fact that on the new course you can enjoy the sea or the Alvor in 26 holes out of 27, where in the previous course many of the holes didn’t have views. The new course has also gained already 7 awards including 26th place in Golf World’s TOP 100 in Continental Europe.
Please let me know next time you are around and we can meet and talk.