“Sublime day on horseback”
Review of Horses in the Sun

Horses in the Sun
Ranked #28 of 71 Tours in Lagos
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer horse riding and carriage driving facilities for both the experienced rider to complete novice. We offer guided horseback trails of differing lengths from 1 hour to 1 week. We also arrange horse riding and carriage driving adventures together, a great advantage for groups of differing abilities and fitness. These guided trails can include a beach picnic or lakeside barbeque and riders and drivers may sample some of the mouthwatering products from our famous Country Cooking School. Our stables and horses, together with our unrivalled catering facilities, form an unforgettable theme for parties and other events. We have hosted birthday parties for young and not so young and several corporate hospitality and team building events. We are only 15 minutes drive from some of Europe’s best surf beaches and the historic harbour of Lagos. We can arrange collection from your hotel or villa
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed here 3 years ago and it was a joy to return here with my family for a half day trek amongst the hills that look out both South towards the Mediterranean and the West coast and Atlantic. 3 years ago I stayed here on my own, full board, for 2 weeks. I went riding every day and because the farm is so secluded was also able to completely wind down and treat the experience like a retreat. I didn't have a car (travelled to and from UK by train- trying to get my carbon emissions more earth friendly) and was collected free of charge from Lagos train station. I was looking for a simple honest experience and compared to the many riding holidays available worldwide this was the best value for money by a long way. And it is honest and earthy. The owners and their family run the whole business from the riding instruction to the cooking and all other hospitality needs. They have set it up and build it a piece at a time. Returning here after 3 years it was wonderful to see how extensions and improvements have been made (more showers, more chill out areas, more extensive vegetable, herb and flower gardens and more stables, all beautifully and creatively built without a whiff of Algarve package holiday mentality). The riding instruction is set at whatever level you want it, if you want to improve your skills then Manny is an intuitive horseman who can move you on or if you just want to try it out and have some fun he will make sure you are safe and not keep nagging you to keep you heels down! There are also endless tracks to travel and you can do them whilst driving a cart too. In 2 weeks I don't think we followed the same trail twice, there are so many gullys to explore and beaches to ride to and on and then have a picnic lunch. On today's visit we are renting a villa near Monchique (a family could easily stay at the farm and the rooms are charming but defn not ostentatious) and my 9 year old is horse obsessed so it was a treat to show my family where I had stayed. After helping to tack up and groom the horses (optional) we rode around the coral whilst we were all assessed for our ability (don't worry, you don't get scored or analysed, it's just to make sure you are matched well with your horse etc) and then set off with our 7 year old, who also has some riding experience, with her horse just next to Manny and her telling him to keep his heels down! We had several hours of joyous riding through flora and fauna which Manny told us all about and through ever changing spectacular views. And when we got back we sat down to a very reasonably priced freshly preared lunch which was something of a feast with everything from whitebate to grilled chicken and homegrown vegetables and a delicious rainbow of salads and home prepared chunky chips, olive bread, 2 desserts etc etc! We ate with the family and felt so welcome, not just another bunch of tourists, got loads of info on where to visit with the children and where the best local eateries are. I found them on both visits to be friendly warm hearted people who made a big effort to make sure we had a happy time. Thanks, I would defn recommend this experience to couples, families and singles alike, if you enjoy riding and charming rural idyll.

There are newer reviews for Horses in the Sun

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The drive from Lagos up the dirt road to the Lodge is quite spectacular and almost worth going for that alone. Riding horses, carriage riding and cooking were all on offer - or just chill out. The food was all home cooked with much of the produce coming from the extensive gardens, and when there was a cooking course the efforts of the cooks were there for all to sample. One of the highlights was taking horses to a nearby lake and bareback riding through the water. Accommodation was basic but adequate. A great rural experience.

2  Thank Papillonphotos
Reviewed September 22, 2013

we used to travel from Lisboa directly to Portimão, all our life. This time, we searched for a retreat and we made a try in Horses in the sun to take a rest in the middle of our trip. It was the best decison we could make. The farm is quiet and lovely and it stays in the Mountains of Algarve. You are near Carrapateira (beautifull landscapes and beaches) and Lagos. The staff is very welcome and they made us part of the family. And the dinner we had there.... my god, it was fantastic. In the end, my wife and daughter loved to stay in the farm and ride a horse (first time for both of them) and i entered my Zen state =).
Many thanks to you all

1  Thank Rodrigo E
horsesinthesun, Owner at Horses in the Sun, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Hi Rodgiro, Thanks for getting a review in so quickly. We miss your little girl or rather Joanna does. It seems so quiet at diner without you all. Hope you can visit us again one day soon.
David

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We took our 4 children aged 24 down to 12 here and had a lovely afternoon horse riding and then the evening BBQ. The staff were really helpful and accommodating with my disabilities/difficulties getting onto the horse and made sure my horse was of a quiet disposition! Having only had bad experiences horse riding, my confidence is now restored.
The BBQ/evening meal was absolutely fantastic. Even our fussiest eaters tucked in! The chocolate desert was so delicious and we felt really welcome sharing the meal with everybody.
Very well recommended and would certainly go again ( could you remind us of the chocolate cake recipe Frances please?!)

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Before going to Lagos, I had found out about horses in the sun, and read the reviews of others, although with our schedule, we didn't end up booking before arriving in Lagos. We had no trouble booking a session, and the staff were so helpful and lovely!! I would say - If you are driving by car, the turn off/horse sign is rather tiny, so keep your eyes peeled!!! From the main road you turn onto quite a small country road! When we arrived, we were paired up with our horses, and were able to do a few laps in the 'training ring' before going off into the forest and being completely enraptured with nature at its best!! The scenery you will encounter is absolutely amazing, with nothing but views, no cars, or roads to spoil your view!! Simply amazing! We went for the half day ride, and it was just perfect!! Really didn't want it to end! Would definitely recommend this for anyone looking for an incredible experience, even if you've never ridden before, its still a must!! Thank you so much to everyone at Horses in the Sun!! Mat & Soph ^_^

1  Thank Sophia W
horsesinthesun, Owner at Horses in the Sun, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Thanks for reviewing us so promptly and possitivly. It always makes our work a pleasure when our guests really enjoy their riding experience.