“My best holiday trip ever”
Review of Horses in the Sun

Horses in the Sun
Ranked #22 of 70 Tours in Lagos
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer horse riding and carriage driving facilities for both the experienced rider to complete novice. We offer guided horseback trails of differing lengths from 1 hour to 1 week. We also arrange horse riding and carriage driving adventures together, a great advantage for groups of differing abilities and fitness. These guided trails can include a beach picnic or lakeside barbeque and riders and drivers may sample some of the mouthwatering products from our famous Country Cooking School. Our stables and horses, together with our unrivalled catering facilities, form an unforgettable theme for parties and other events. We have hosted birthday parties for young and not so young and several corporate hospitality and team building events. We are only 15 minutes drive from some of Europe’s best surf beaches and the historic harbour of Lagos. We can arrange collection from your hotel or villa
Bridport, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“My best holiday trip ever”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

At 85 years of age I thought I would be their oldest guest but they tell me they have many older visitors who enjoy the comfort and safety of carriage driving. I haven't ridden on horse back for some years and I found carriage driving great fun . to be out in the fantastic national park, without motor traffic and so many wild birds and animals to observe was a dream come true. When we returned to the farm the meal served would have done credit to a 5 star restaurant, but the whole trip, which included collection from my hotel and a very good lunch with lots of wine cost only €45.
In fact it was so good I returned 2 days later with my great grandchildren 6 and 3 who loved every minute, especially riding the miniature pony.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank William85551706

Scarborough, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Friendly and welcoming day out.”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My teenage daughter and I booked to spend the day at the lodge, my daughter went out on a days hack with a number of others from different countires and I spent the day cooking. My daughter had a fabulous day, she is an experienced rider but really enjoyed the chance to ride along beaches and in the sea, she was very tired on return and was a little saddle sore for couple of days. I was driven by the owners wife to a local market to buy fresh food for our creative cooking session ready for the riders return late afternoon. The whole expereince was wonderful, the farm itself is rustic but elegant the country garden with fresh herbs to pick when needed, David joined us at times and shared his life experiences which was interesting to hear. I love meeting new people in new places to share such life stories. We had such a wonderful experience last summer we have been in touch with David again to arrange a return visit again this summer but we are going as a bigger party this year. I would ask that people do not rely entirely on reviews such as these on trip advisor our experience was fabulous and we would recommend that it is worth a visit.

Visited August 2011
4 Thank Trish G
horsesinthesun, Owner at Horses in the Sun, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your appreciation. Your daughters certainly enjoyed their time with us and it was an excellent lunch again this year. Lets hope we can make it 3 in a row.
Norwich, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Verbal Abuse from owners”
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The holiday I booked was for a horse-riding course in a rural area of the Algarve-it sounds lovely on the website.

There were many issues that let this holiday down, however one incident in particular ruined it completely and left me terrified and in tears. After what happened my only option was to get the next flight home, resulting in me staying less than 48hrs in Portugal.

When I asked the owners of the holiday resort if I could borrow a mobile phone in order to call Orange so I could set up roaming on my own phone, I was severely verbally abused by the male owner of the hotel, whilst his wife sat by and did nothing.

He flew into a rage at my polite request; the reason why I cannot fathom. He used disgusting language, calling me 'stupid' and 'mentally unstable', as well as a whole stream of swear words. As a solo female traveller I was very upset and frightened by this outburst and left the premises as soon as I could.

There are other things that were unacceptable, which now seem insignificant compared to what happened, but I will list them anyway.

- when I was picked up from the airport (which I paid 69euros for), I was told that I could not have an evening meal, even though I had pre-paid for one, as there was 'no food in the house.' Strange then that there was plenty of food on the breakfast table the next morning. I had to suffice with a McDonald's drive through.

- There are five dogs at the farm. Fine. Not so good if they are undisciplined and aggressive as these were. I was even advised to 'whip' or 'kick' the dogs if I felt them to be a problem. If I didn't do this, it was made clear to me that I was on my own.

- The room had a lovely log burning stove. With a metal stick to wedge it shut (see photo). Not the safest stove I have ever seen.

- The evening I arrived I realised there were no towels in the room- I had to stumble around in the dark to the owner's house, then contend with a pack of baying dogs to get some. Great fun.

- The bathroom was not tiled. The toilet was filthy. Again, see photos.

Just to sum up, my holiday consisted of;

- Stopping at a McDonalds drive thru at 11pm as my hosts claimed they had no food in the house
- Being surrounded by growling, barking dogs on arrival
- The room had no towels- had to endure another round with the dogs to get some
- Having a dirty toilet
- Sleeping in a room with an unsafe stove
- Being verbally abused by the owner
- Being put in a situation where I feared for my personal safety

I booked this holiday through a travel agent, www.golearnto.com. As yet they have failed to provide me with any help or support regarding my complaints to them.

Definitely would not recommend!!!

20 Thank Lauren C