Sensimar Lagos by Yellow
$176
$172
Orbitz.com
1,663 results
All reviewslower poolthomson repsbrowns restaurantland trainfree standing bathbeautiful hotelstar hotelwaiter serviceopen plan bathroomhalf boardcocktail makingvealmood lightingsea viewwalk along the beachrelaxing holidayevening entertainment
Reviewed November 3, 2013

On entering the hotel and making our way to our room we bumped into a gentleman. We asked how he was finding the hotel and he mentioned that it was a mixed bag. That is really how I found it with a touch of Fawltey Towers.

This hotel we have found is only open until the end of October each year and has the potential to be superb but I did find it to be a shocking representation of a five star hotel (Oh how they must laugh at us visitors).

Good Points
-----------------
1... Room was beautiful and relaxing. (Room 007) on the ground floor in our case. However I did find an empty water bottle under the bed on arrival. Other than that the room was clean and beds comfortable. Relaxing room when not waiting for it to be cleaned.

2.. Common areas and bar nice

3.. Looks good on the surface but the devil is in the detail

4.. Breakfast fine

5.. Browns Restaurant - This is what I would expect of a 5 star hotel. Fantastic food and service

6.. Italian - on in the poolside bar twice a week. A welcome escape from the terrible Buffet.

Now for the Bad
----------------------
1. Only thing 5 Star about this hotel is the price of food and drink

2. Buffet - Poorest and Cheapest I have seen

3. Lunch Overpriced for poorly presented cheap baguettes with meat spread and fries. Very poor quality and value.

Eat in Lagos or one of the local beach bars for much superior quality, service and price

4. Staff - Poor Attitude

Any enquiry was a lot of bother and we felt despised rather than welcomed. It turns out that this job is temporary and there was not enough of them and so were fairly stressed. However the customer suffered and for that I blame the management.

5. Dinner Buffet is poor - Little choice and not well cooked

6.. Pool on Ground floor is plastic which is coming away from the sides of the pool. Looks bad.

7. Pool Area - Slabs are not fixed. This could cause an accident. Seen people tripping over the loose slabs all the time. Bad.

8 Finish is bad in most of the hotel.

A lot of fancy touches, TVs in Mirrors, Baths, Showers. How this is offset with poorly fitted wardrobes, slabs and decking. Burst Sofas in Lounge.

9. Rooms not cleaned until after 4pm each day and sometimes nearer 5

As someone who likes the use of the nice hotel room that I have paid for I was surprised that my room was not being cleaned until nearer 5pm each day.

I have never had a problem with this at any other hotel I have stayed at.

10 Reception Staff

When complaining about various aspects of the hotel ( a first for us) the Reception Staff where in my opinion arrogant and dismissive and did nothing to help. Very bad customer service which we found to be consistent in the hotel.

11 This hotel is someway from town

We knew about this and this was not entirely a problem but surely a 5 star hotel could run a shuttle bus. This would have been a nice touch.

As it is you can walk along the beach...which is challenging.

There is a path that runs along side the railway line that is easier to walk on than the beach

You can use the tourist train however you would not expect this to be reliable

You can get the train from the rail station just 10 minutes away.

Overall
----------
I did feel a bit let down by some reviews and by Thomsons

This Hotel should really do better. Not too far away from being good. My experience of 4 star hotels is that they have thought of the customer at every turn even before the customer has thought of it. Not so Yellow Hotel you have to remind them.

Hotel is style over substance. Fancy coloured lights in doorways but carpets stained with bleach.
I shall be surprised if this hotel is still standing In a few year time.

To me there will not be many return visits.

Why even bother allocating 5 stars to this hotel - This is clearly wrong. I would say a good 3 star hotel - no more.

This hotel is in a beautiful stretch of beach and there are various beach bars restaurants which are good to visit.

There is not enough staff for this size of hotel...this can be seen in the waiting times in the buffet and in the time it took to clean rooms.

One of the secure...controlled entrances was broken. Wires loose and door is open. No sign of security in the hotel.

I in the strongest terms do not recommend this hotel for a relaxing time. It is not value for money.

Coloured lighting in doorways...quaint the first time...but shabby.

Lack of information in hotel to tell you where to go and find facilities.

I didn't find it too long to wait for a drink in the hotel but an improvement would be a second bar. This hotel really needs more staff and a course in manners and customer service.

Entertainment is good, modern and relevant.

Dining area is nice:
- Buffet - Limited Choice, - Cheap choices of food - Lights on table that didn't work - no salt and pepper. A pity as the meal is a main part of your night on holiday.

- Fruit was frozen..straight from the freezer.

- They run out of items and people have to wait (frequently)

- Book the Italian twice a week. You do not pay any extra for this and it is really good. Worthy of 5 stars.

Construction, Finish of hotel look and feel flimsy.

I really must thank Angelo Ribiero (Thomsons Rep) who was superb in dealing with our complaints. His professionalism is a credit to him and he helped to make my hard earned holiday good.

Another complaint I would have is about Faro Airport. This Airport in its current form is surely not of the correct size to deal with the number of passengers who travel through here each day. It just doesn't have the capacity to deal with numbers making it a very bad experience on arriving and leaving the Algarve. Queue after Queue. This is the second year we have suffered this. I will not be travelling to the Algarve again as a result of this. A pity beautiful Country.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank StevieG66
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Terrific building design, lovely rooms and grounds, fantastic location, reasonable food and good live music in the lounge and bar.
However, for some reason the management were blind to lots of little details that in the end became irritating--and not just to me !
Insufficient tea spoons and salt cellars in the dining room ( everyone had to beg, borrow , share etc ); too few pool umbrellas ( some were wind damaged and there no spares); long queues in the bar after dinner( because there was only 1 till); a wifi system that was continually down; the lack of a shuttle bus to take guests into nearby Lagos.
Above all a somewhat superior attitude when confronted with these constructive criticisms.
It was as if they had been gifted a stunning hotel building and location and didn't see any need to do any more to please us guests.
Such a pity, but easily put right.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms with the best views are on the west side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank grumpy666_10
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We chose this hotel for its architecture and loved the minimalistic style. The bedrooms were stylish and huge beds were so comfortable. Food was ok but average. Plenty of sun beds plus the fact there were no children made it a really relaxing holiday. We did miss not having any local bars to visit in evening although Lagos was only a e6.5 taxi fare. Most days we walked along the beach into Lagos which took us about 30 mins. Reason we only rated 4* was purely down to average food. To conclude this hotel offers incredible value for money, one weeks half board with Thomsons was just over £500 each including air fares. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alisonhertford
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel at the end of September to celebrate my 65th birthday and couldnt find any fault whatsoever. The location is perfect close to the beautiful Meia Pria beach quiet and peaceful but close enough to walk to Lagos if you want more nightlife. If you dont fancy the walk there is a bus stop close by and also the small novelty train which you can travel up and down on all day for a small price. There are two large swimming pools so always plenty of loungers but we loved the beach which is vast so you can always find a quiet spot. The staff are so friendly and helpful food brilliant and the regular entertainment at night are brilliant, they sing and play guitar and are so versatile playing anything from pop to rock to country and ballads and also very amusing. This hotel is perfect not just for older couples but for younger couples too. We have already booked for next year.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful we liked the pool views
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Great hotel which is only 3 years old now. Very modern and minimalistic design which I appreciate very much. Rooms are really well designed as well and have all the amenities needed. Location is great, right at the Meia Preia beach with several beach restaurants in walking distance. Lagos is about 10 minutes by car so I would advice to take a rental car.
Some things which need improvement to be a real 5 star: invest in some more senior staff, do not dilute orange juice with water, improve airconditioning. Other than this, and especially the more senior and professional staff evrything is working out well.
Keep in mind that this is an adult only hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple