“Stunning hotel, but very, very isolated.”

Sensimar Lagos by Yellow
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Lagos
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on 30th June, and was told the transfer was 45 minutes, wrong, 1 hr 10, mmmm, on way back we were told 1 hour 10, so truth on return journey. We were shown to our room by a porter and he showed us how stuff worked, (Lee Evans Sketch) very friendly. First impressions on room, wow, it's amazing. However, some reviews state that the cleanliness was excellent, I'm sorry, I didn't see that. Also 4 different occasions our room wasn't cleaned when we returned from the pool, at around 4.30-5. One day I went back to the room to check return flight details and three room attendants were standing in corridor chatting, I popped back an hour later to see the same 3 maids in the same place still chatting, I think this is why the rooms were not done in good time, maybe a few older room attendants would be more efficient. Also be careful what you leave out of the safe, I had some make up taken, well you can't lock everything in there.
We looked at upgrading for the rest of our holiday to a suite with pool, they are lovely, have an extra living area and huge tv, we were shown the room and told they are €370 a night, but as we had paid for our room already, the price would be €150, I have to say I was tempted, but we declined, wish I had done it now!
The food, despite earlier reviews, is very good, only 1 evening I struggled to find something that went together. however the pool snack bar on ground level is expensive and the service is exceptionally slow, we waited 55 minutes for a burger! After that I'm afraid to say we took croissants from breakfast and had that for lunch, I don't go on holiday to wait in restaurants I go to sunbathe. We tried the beach bar on the left one day, bloke serving was quite moody but food was great, but again slow, lovely views though.
We ate out 3 times, recommend Vaneza in town, service brilliant, also domitrios is very good. Pâté and melon starters are huge, enough for two.
The town is a quirky place, but a must as for us the biggest down side of our holiday was the fact that the hotel is so isolated. Not so much as a shop where you can buy a can of drink, or a bottle of water, well the hotel charged €3.50. We took a taxi on second day to Pingo supermarcardo and did a big shop, felt like home! There is a make shift shop to the left but I see two huge dogs in the garden behind, and there was dog waste in mountains, kind of put me off.
The entertainment, I have to say, we're good, however they were not our taste, and its kind of sad but that's all you get, so we had to get taxi every night, or walk on the beach, we did have a drink on the last night, which came to €15.50.

To sum up, the hotel is stunning, staff are incredibly friendly, sun beds are the best and plentiful, but lack of entertainment, isolation, queuing to get a drink, and the prices all put me off returning. I know it sounds like I am moaning, but seriously it's lovely just the few niggles.

Enjoy

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank dor41
There are newer reviews for Sensimar Lagos by Yellow

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Beautiful hotel with lovely views even from the rooms on the sides. Loved my bedroom & bathroom. Beds & pillows really comfy. Nice toiletries provided in the bathroom. Very novel having the bath as part of the bedroom! My favourite was the rain shower though. Everything was spotless all over the hotel. Staff all very friendly and caring but bar service after dinner very slow, often decided not to bother because of this. Only niggle I have was dinner, I came to Portugal for Portuguese food, had to eat this at the restaurants on the beach & in Lagos. Waiters said this is what the British expect. No, we travel to experience what a country has to offer. Never once saw Piri Piri chicken or BBQ fresh fish : ( . Saying that I would recommend the hotel & would stay again, just ensure the spa facility is part of the 5 star experience. Thank you Yellow Hotel for sending me home relaxed.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just come back from a weeks stay at Yellow hotel after booking with Thompson. Couples only hotel so no young families or children. Hotel has a modern, stylish and clean feel and is an impressive building.
Room was spacious, with really big comfy bed, lots of wardrobe space - there is also a safe which is handy for travel documents and passports.
Lovely shower, two 'his and hers' sinks and a bath. The shower and toilet share a door and the door can only close over the toilet or shower at once.
There is a kettle provided but you only get complimentary tea and coffee on the first day. Room also has a good size fridge. Room also had a balcony. Maid service daily.
Hotel has 2 outdoor pools and 1 indoor - only used the one on second level - very clean and never seemed very busy. Pool surrounded with sunbeds and umbrellas - only one occasion when we had to wait for a sunbed to become free, mostly there are plenty.
Happy hour bit short and always a long queue.
Breakfast and evening meals had good selection and food was replenished quickly. No drinks included in our evening meal with Thompson half board - so adds to cost as drinks not cheap. Inside and outdoor eating areas with lovely view of pool and beach. Free beach towels available.
Staff all very friendly and attentive.
Short walk to beach, which has beach bars to eat at. Can catch train into Lagos takes few minutes and very cheap. Walk to Lagos 25-30 minutes. Taxi about 6-8 euros from hotel to Lagos.
Would recommend if looking for stylish, clean hotel for a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: We had room 204, on 2nd level. Could see beach and some of hotel gardens. Some other balconies look...
1  Thank Hannah H
Reviewed July 14, 2013

just got back from this great hotel we stopped in room 249 which was at the front of the hotel and overlooked the lower pool, snack bar and fab views of the fantastic 10 km sandy beach.we paid a bit more for this room which was well worth it. the rooms really are as good as the reviews describe. You wont be disappointed with this hotel. We travelled with Thomson couples ,No kids it was great. the only criticism I have of this hotel would be that to use the sauna you will need to pay 7 euros per day. Even though the indoor pool and all the gym facilities are free if you want to use the sauna for one 20 min visit it will cost you 7 euros each day . Usually while on holiday I use the sauna while waiting for my wife who usually has about 3 beauty treatments in the week. This week because I would not pay to use the sauna we never used the spa at all , which saved me about 300 euros on treatments for the wife . i think the spa shot itself in the foot .Saying that if it wasn't for this gripe it would have been one of the best holidays Ive ever had.

4  Thank mick504160
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed here end of June beginning of July. Very modern hotel. Room was fantastic - loved the bath, shower etc and the huge bed. Everywhere was spotless. The pool area was great, lots of lovely very comfortable sunbeds but still some idiots put towels down early in the morning!! Pool towels changed as required. The pool itself was fantastic - olympic size pool with great opportunity to swim to your hearts content. The restaurant on the whole was great, only downside was on our first week food was not replenished quickly enough but on second week seemed to improve. Very good quality food and was lovely to sit outdoors and enjoy the beautiful setting. Staff were lovely and very helpful. Price of drinks could have been better hence the long queues at Happy Hour. Maybe should lower the cost of drinks and forget Happy Hour. Other little niggle was tea and coffee in the bedroom! When we arrived there was tea, coffee and milk in our room, however despite the kettle being there when we finished our tea and coffee on the first day no more was provided! I think for a hotel of this calibre it was a very poor decision. On the whole though it was a fantastic hotel with an amazing location although not in the centre of Lagos but the walk into the town was beautiful and worth staying that wee bit further out to be able to enjoy the beautiful beach. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mentalmags
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just back from a terrific couple of weeks at the Yellow and can echo most of the earlier comments. The hotel is modern, minimalist and very clean, the rooms are excellent though if you want a sea view, make sure you ask, as there are 8 rooms that face the north overlooking the "gardens" - compensation is that they seem larger than the standard rooms. We found that the morning and evening buffets were both really good with an excellent choice of simple grilled meats and fish every night and enough variation to stop it being boring - drinks are expensive but happy hour makes it reasonable though the comments about the single till are all valid, the till is computer based and seems to take an age to process an order. If you rely on internet be aware that wifi is variable, we were there when it was out for a few days but it seemed to improve before we left. The hotel is out of town but a 30 min walk, 8 Euro taxi, 1.40 Euro train or 1.20 Euro bus take you into town and whilst train and bus are infrequent they normally run to timetable - times are different at the weekend - July and August there is a bus in the evening every hour.
If you enjoy a day trip check the prices at reception as you may find them cheaper than the rep prices - same for car hire.
What makes this hotel work is the staff- they all work very hard to deliver a good quality service all are polite friendly and take time to listen - they try to make you feel special. We cannot even complain about the majority of the guests as nearly everyone seemed to be having a great time - we both liked the couples concept and no children a real bonus.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view ask for it as 8 rooms face north and overlook the gardens - second floor pool...
5  Thank BillandJan187
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We arrived to this hotel on 20th June 2013 for two weeks. Hotel/room was spotless as was the poolside and the surroundings. We were surprised at how lovely the hotel was considering the amount of money we paid, we thought we got a very good deal! Waterfall shower, bathtub, in-wall TV, robes and slippers on arrival, optional room service and enormous bed! Breakfast and dinners served lovely food, not once did we have the same choice and we stayed for 14 nights which we found very good! Vegetarian options available and lots of choice between fish or meats and salads. The drinks are quite pricey but happy hour was 50% off which was good and used this to our advantage! The evening entertainment was brilliant - a duo 'Hatty & Oz' are fantastic, they play a selection of songs from different genres/era's and host themed nights such as hollywood night, 50/60/70/80's music, golden oldies and requests night to name a few - very friendly and talented! Hotel staff are lovely and always willing to help! We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and we would certainly return!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jordan O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagos
Vila Gale Lagos
Carvi Beach Hotel Algarve
Sao Rafael Atlantico
Sao Rafael Atlantico
#1 of 3 in Sesmarias

Been to Sensimar Lagos by Yellow? Share your experiences!