I do not normally write reviews but in this case, I feel I must as this beautiful hotel is definitely missing an opportunity to really be 5*:
First of all I want to say that the Thomson reps (Arleen and Martin) were excellent and very helpful throughout.
The hotel is new to Thomson for 2013. It is also a new hotel, just 3 years old.
1. The hotel decor, rooms and pool areas are excellent and cannot be faulted. However...
2. The food is the big let down - breakfast is ok but dinner (B&B and half board available) had lack of choice and poor replenishment when items ran out. The hotel also did not cater for special dietary needs - even vegetarians had difficulty in selecting an interesting meal! Lunches, if bought at the hotel were expensive with poor choice (al fresco and pool bar).
3. The hotel is located a few miles form the town of Lagos. There is a local bus service (100 metres walk) and train service (quarter mile walk) but the services are infrequent. Maybe the hotel (classified as 5*) should consider a courtesy bus for residents, as offered in many other 5* hotels.
4. The space within the hotel is not used well. There are several restaurant areas but most of them are not used and could offer specislist dining experiences - Portuguese/Morrocan/etc. There is one a la carte restaurnat but it is pricey and can only cater for a small number of diners at any time. The outside area by the lower pool could be used on some evenings for barbecues as it is a dead area after 5pm.
5. Overall we enjoyed our holiday, the reps were excellent, the trip we bought was excellent value, our room was lovely and we like Lagos (our 2nd time there). We enjoyed eating in the local restaurants (some evenings) and beach bars (lunch times). We met some lovely people during our stay of 11 nights. The hotel staff were helpful and friendly and the rooms and public areas were beautiful and well cleaned. However, we were overcharged for items on two occasions - in the pool bar and on our final bill (rectified by reception staff - so check your bills!)
6. I would use Thomson again and I would re-visit Lagos but not at this hotel as it currently stands.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adults-only hotel (16+) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sensimar Lagos by Yellow reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yellow Lagos Meia Praia Hotel Lagos