“Perfect relaxing holiday”

Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Lagos
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect relaxing holiday”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Just returned from a lovely stay at this hotel. No problems with the service as mentioned in previous reviews, everyone seemed very friendly especially Paulo the waiter. He really made our evenings special guiding us through the menu in a friendly and professional manner. A real asset to the hotel.
The rooms are superb, nice and modern like the pictures suggest. Food in the restuarant is superb. Served off a menu rather than a buffet.
the hotel is very close to the beach which is worth visting but the sun loungers by the pool are so comfortable your unlikely to stay that long. The walk to the town is maybe a little bit too far to do every day, about half hour.
A few suggestions to the hotel to improve the experience: Provide tea making facilities in the room, provide an iron for each room, drop or reduce the 10 euro charge for use of the indoor pool & gym, the 10 euro charge for anything brought to the room is also a bit steep.
Overall, a great stay so we may well be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank simon h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Polish first
Galway
Reviewed October 12, 2011

This is a Five Star facility with a three star service. The Hotel itself is stunning situated on Meia Praia beach about a 30min walk from Lagos Town. It is newly built with indoor and outdoor pools and a spa. The rooms are lovely and in a contemporary style. All you would expect from a five star Hotel. Unfortunately they seem to be woefully understaffed. Their is no poolside service and most times on entering the Cafe/Bar you need to either wait ten to fifteen minutes or go looking for staff. At night there was only one waiter on duty for the restaurant and dinner took two hours to get served and eaten. Now worst of all!! I was nearly driven insane by the cheap elevator music that permiates all the public areas of the hotel. There are only so many versions of the Girl from Ipanema a man can take! To compound this a cricket found his way into the hotel and regailed us with his noise from Sun down to Sun up. I slept with my noise cancelling ear phones on, my wife had ear plugs. Its a shame the little things were not done right as this could be a truly great hotel but for now I would go with one of the other many hotels in the area.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms have their own mini pool.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eoghan H
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Wow what can I say about this hotel amazing both the hotel and the staff very mordern and luxurious throughout from entrance to exit we arrived late at night and immediately wowed by changing lights outside as with lobby very good decor staff extra friendly lead straight to upgraded room for free due to being our honeymoon and the room again wow they had laid rose petals in 2 hearts on the bed and around the bath also free bottle of champagne with fruit basket displayed nicely on table always good start from there it got better and better nice dinning very freindly staff too much to say just highly recommend can't wait to go again.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Karlsandom
Lagos, Portugal
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Pleasant stay but I don't really believe this to be a five star hotel.

Don't take me wrong, the facilities are good, the view is fantastic, the hotel is modern and cool. But a five star hotel is about more than just the building, and when it comes to service it's quite disappointing.

To give you an example, they offer minibar in the room, but it's empty. If you want to fill it on demand you are welcome to do so, for a 10€ fee per person plus the price of the minibar. Nothing against charges, but isn't the whole point of a minibar not to have to go through the hassle of ordering something? This is one example of many.

If you want the view, the location and the service I'd try next door, I'm willing to bet you'd be better of.

Room Tip: They only accept reservations for twin rooms. If you're a couple make sure to request a double o...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MariaNC987
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Absolutely stunning boutique hotel. The rooms were lovely and very clean.

But the front desk staff were incredibly rude and went out of their way to be unaccomodating.
My husband and I left our wall plug adapter at our last hotel and we asked the front desk to use one of theirs. They said they only had one and it was with another guest. When I asked where i could buy one, they said at a store. I asked where a store was, and the answer was that there were no stores in the area.. Then she turned her back and walked away.

We asked for information about restaurants in the area.... They told us that they didnt have any, but would find some info and send it up to our room. They never sent anything to our room.

They did not have any information about Lagos... We were forced to purchase a map of Lagos in the gift shop.

Oh, and here is the seediest thing the front desk staff did. When we wanted a taxi, the front desk staff would call the taxi company, and write a list of the room number of the people requesting the taxi. This way if alot of people were waiting, then you would know the order of who gets the taxi. Well.... on our last day, some people did not want to wait their turn for a taxi, so they gave money to the front desk staff and then the front desk staff moved them to the head of the line....even though we were supposed to get the next taxi. Very sleazy!

The hotel may be lovely, but this is NOT a 5 star hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Valerie R
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have recently just come bak from yellow Lagos two days ago and hav had a very terrible experience at the hotel.upon arrival we were made to wait 3 hours to enter our room despite a request for early check in that we booked months ago and were also not welcomed nicely at all by staff . The hotel itself is beautiful and has been designed fantastically , rooms are clean and pools lovely . However a massive downside to this hotel is the customer service by staff who are rude arrogant and uncaring people . Whilst in the middle of booking a transfer on the phone the receptionist named Olivia made us put the phone down and snatched the phone out of my hand. She was a terrible woman who ruined my stay . Rest of recepetion staff very unfriendly and unhelpful and on last day of stay we were also not given our breakfast bags for travel and it seemed the receptionist could not wait to get rid of us . As me and my friend were o British Indian origin we feel that these staff did not treat us in same way other people were . Furthermore if u do decide to stay here despite this review be prepared to spend a lot of money on traveling to town centre as it is in a remote place where there are no shops at all around to buy any food and taxi expensive and food at hotel Is off poor quality and ridiculously overpriced. It is a shame that the customer service ruins such a beautiful hotel as we were lucky enough to meet the cheif commander of hotel who was of german origin and a lovely man who gave us a tour of hotel and showed us the five star suites and history of hotel . The management of the hotel need to seriously consider recruiting and training up a fresh new team of staff as the service really let's down the hotel. Overall i would not recommend this hotel as the service u recieve will ruin ur holiday and make it a stressful and frustrating experience . I would recommend finding a hotel closer to town centre or near dona Anna beach .

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Robot123
NYC
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Let me start by saying I had read some of the mixed reviews of this hotel and was a little unsure about booking the hotel. We were on our honeymoon and had a particular bad experience at another hotel and decided we need to move so we took a risk on Yellow Lagos. That being said I had an amazing experience and highly recommend this hotel! We were both very glad we switched hotels and came here.

First impression. Arriving at the hotel I was stunned by the gorgeous views. Sitting on top of a little hill you walk into the hotel and first notice the white marble floors and the floor to ceiling glass that looks out onto the ocean. The person at the front desk checked us in and then walked us to the room, explaining hotel amenities and then showing us around the room. The rooms are spacious with a particularly modern yet warm feel. Each room has a balcony, and our balcony like most of them faced the pool areas (yes there are multiple pools). The hotel does not cater to families with children, so when we went down to the pool we were able to enjoy a nice quiet relaxing time at the pool.
While it wasn't on the menu we ordered a pitcher of Rose sangria. Typical of our stay at this hotel, the hotel staff were willing to accommodate any request.
We stayed at the hotel for 5 days and ate most of our meals here. On our first night we asked if the restaurant would do something special for us as we were celebrating our we honeymoon. The restaurant set up a special dinning area for us, including flowers and candles. I can't begin to tell you how awesome this was. We loved it. The food at the restaurant was AMAZING! High marks for the chief. If you stay here you must try at least one of your meals in the restaurant, you likely won't want to go anywhere else after you eat here.

There is a workout area, which I didn't use but looked nice and included an indoor pool. I did however try the spa. I booked an afternoon spa treatment which included a massage and some kind of scrub. Both were good.

To sum this up. I think some of the poorer reviews reflect the hotels growing pains when they first opened up. I've never been to a hotel where the staff were friendlier and more responsive. The staff knew they had some negative reviews and were doing everything they could to make each guests stay exceptional. And they did. We had an amazing time. I'm not sure that I'll be getting back to the Algrave section of Portugal anytime soon, but if I do I would certainly stay here again.
A deep felt thank you to the hotel staff for making our stay such an amazing experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYCtraveler33Nyc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagos
Vila Gale Lagos
Marina Club Lagos Resort
Sao Rafael Atlantico
Sao Rafael Atlantico
#1 of 3 in Sesmarias

Been to Sensimar Lagos by Yellow? Share your experiences!