“Evening dinner on the street.”

Sao Goncalo Restaurant
Ranked #225 of 477 Restaurants in Lagos
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

Sao Gonçalo is based on a busy pedestrian way, we stopped for dinner just after Portugal got knocked out of the World Cup. This did not seem to affect the service or food, both of which were good. My wife had the seafood cataplana and I had sword fish. A bottle of the house wine and some bread completed the meal. At around 45 Euros inc service not bad.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed June 6, 2018 via mobile

Sao Gonçalo. Lobster cocktail to die for... sea bass filleted because the fish can’t look at me... Paulo is the most attentive man... they don’t normally serve cristal beer but my Hubbie only drinks cristal.. admittedly my husband has been coming to Portugal (Golf) for years and going to this restaurant. Our booking is the name of mr cristal... Paola buys cristal... It’s these little things that keep us coming back to this most fabulous place... was most surprised to find sprouts (ok an acquired taste) on the menu, but I love them. If you only visit once during your stay, this restaurant is a must.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed April 25, 2018

A very good restaurant with a lovely atmosphere and very good cuisine . The sole in almond sauce is fantastic and very reasonably priced. If you have a sweet tooth the desserts are fabulous .
Highly recommended !

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Marie F
Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

Can't come to Portugal without visiting here and the proprietor Paulo.
Always a warm welcome and drink to start off the meal. I always have to go for the Portuguese steak, it never disappoints and then Paulo will always recommend the best dessert.
Take his advice - he's not been wrong yet!
Enjoy!!

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

We walked around looking for lunch and this is where we decided upon, as the dishes of the day displayed on the board looked good (grilled sardines or sole with almond sauce, each 6.95 Euro).
We sat indoors, which was comfortable, with interesting locally inspired decor.
Both our meals, one of sardine, the other sole, were delicious and good sized portions. There was a mix of Portuguese and visitor customers.
I had the Algarve tart (tasty) and we both had café com leite, which was also good.
The service was acceptable but not especially warm (to us nor to any other customer as far as I could see).
Another reviewer is correct, there is a sign warning of no card reader, so we paid cash.
Would we go again? Yes, because whoever was in the kitchen can clearly prepare very good food, but the service could be more welcoming.

Date of visit: February 2018