“Very nice quiet hotel in a wonderful little city”
Review of Villa Valmar

Villa Valmar
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Lagos
New York City, New York
“Very nice quiet hotel in a wonderful little city”
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Vilmar Villas is a nice quiet hotel about a 20 minute walk from the city center. The pool was nice and the staff was friendly. They advised us to beaches close by and were generally very accommodating. There is only wifi in the lobby, but the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were clean. The TV didn't really work and was old, but you should be heading to the beaches and into the town anyways. I would gladly stay there again given it was fairly inexpensive and enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Peniche, Portugal
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The overall feeling at Valmar Villas is quite strange. Upon arrival and seeing the rusty wiggly lettered ´Valmar Villas´ sign I joked to my husband that it looked like a haunted house. I did not expect it to feel quite so strange once we got inside! Perhaps they are going for the gothic look or something, but the décor felt very cold and welcoming. The extremely hard bed didn´t even have pillows on it, but luckily we found some stored inside the wardrobe. It was basically clean and inexpensive so I can´t complain too much but I can say that it was a relief to check-out and we wont be going back. So to summarize:
The positives: Quite clean room, bathrobes in the room, balcony with nice sea view, fairly cheap, good sized room and bathroom, quite nice varied breakfast
The negatives: odd slightly gothic décor giving off an unwelcoming slightly spooky vibe, very hard uncomfortable bed, only a sheet and thin blanket on the bed in april= cold, thin walls (we were unfortunate to have a rather over zealous couple staying next door), very basic housekeeping service, no shampoo or hairdryer.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor have nice sea views
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Emilin0
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I rarely write reviews, but on the recommendation of a friend, I have just stayed at Valmar Villas, and I have had the most wonderful time. The hotel is made up of about 9 rooms and the rooms are lovely, clean and have fantastic balconies with sea views, across the pool (which also looks out to sea). It is really quiet and peaceful here too as it is on the outside of the town of Lagos, and is mainly residential with a couple of other hotels. The beds are really comfortable and new, and the room I was in had two double beds in there, and still plenty of room around them! There is so much space in the hotel, even when full I cannot imagine it feeling at all crowded. The main reception and breakfast room have stunning brickwork walls, and classic styled wooden furniture, with a large glass wall looking out onto the terrace. I often used the terrace to sit in the sun and catch up on my emails (there is free wifi).There is also a restaurant, although this wasn't open in March. There is a beautiful beach about 5 minutes walk with a fantastic restaurant and beach terrace on the beach itself, selling delicious fresh sea food and snacks. The supermarket and a few restaurants are about 10 minutes walk, and the centre of town is about a 20 minute walk, or a few minutes in a taxi (only about 5 euros).

The breakfast was very generous, and really sets you up for the day, with meats, cheeses, rolls, fruit, yoghurt, cakes, juices, and tea/coffee. There are so many lovely restaurants in Lagos itself, and I would also recommend heading to Meia Praia beach (5 euro by taxi), as there is about 6km of unspoilt beach there.

The family who own the business, including Jose (father) and Jose (son) could not have been more friendly or helpful, and whenever I asked a question they went out of their way to help. Their English is also fantastic. I have already recommended this place to friends, and would recommend to anyone. I will definitely come here again and I hope this review was helpful. James

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, and
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank jamesboris35
Somerset
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here in the last few days of February 2014. As we were the only ones staying we were given breakfast in our room every morning. Personally I would have preferred to eat with the staff as I like company but the breakfast was always on time, the waitress very pleasant and cheerful, (we were on the top floor and it was a big tray). As usual all the staff were very helpful and it was another wonderful stay. The room was very clean with a fridge and tea and coffee making facilities. The weather was really kind to us too being around 18-19C during the day and very mild at night. Lagos and the surrounding area superb! You couldn't ask for anything more!

Room Tip: We stayed in a superior room but i think any room would have been good. This one was large had a lo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bottesford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Enjoyed our 3 weeks stay during January 2014 at this friendly and very quiet hotel. At times we were the only guests! The 'busiest' night there were 4 other rooms occupied. Good breakfast delivered to room each morning instead of buffet, as so few guests. Staff very helpful. Would recommend superior room on top of block overlooking pool and facing sea/sunsets. Two restaurants a few minutes away on beach - preferred Campimar, although also enjoyed Antonios.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed here for a week at the end of November. It was a lovely hotel, the girl at reception was very pleasant and really helpful. Because of the time of year the hotel was very quiet and we did not try out the pool but it looked very clean. Wifi was only available close to reception and the tv had just 2 English speaking channels. Our room was spotless, quite large with a lovely balcony with a sea view. The room had a fridge, kettle, some coffees and teas and plenty of storage space. The bathroom was big, with a bath and a good shower and the towels were changed daily. The beach was a 10 minute walk and was beautiful. The town was a good 20 minute walk from the hotel and we got lost almost everytime as all the streets looked the same! The bed was comfortable. It was good value for money. I would upload photos but the photos on the hotel website are the same and in no way misleading.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room with a sea view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BreathnachI
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed at Valmar Villas for a week at the end of August. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly girl at reception who was helpful and suggested restaurants to eat at locally. The building itself is very unusual and has retained all its original brickwork and original features.

The bedroom was exceptionally big and although it did have 2 beds they were two doubles so we didn't mind. The room does slightly smell of damp but nothing that would be overwhelming. I was a little worried when I saw the shower as it is over the bath and a little dated however it is very powerful and always hot. There is a large fridge hair dryer and kettle in the room. The cleaning of the room wasn't up to the standard of other hotels I've stayed in. Although towels were changes every day the tea and coffee and bottled water were not replaced at all through our stay etc.

The pool is very nice and clean although a little cold! There always seems to be plentiful pool loungers and the pool area is very quiet and peaceful.

Breakfast is very good but not to everyone's tastes. It is a high quality continental breakfast, however hot food isn't to be expected. Fresh fruit and bread every day. After breakfast there isn't any other food available in the hotel so to eat you would need to walk to a local restaurant or supermarket.

The hotel location is unlike other reviews may have suggested not a half hour walk from the centre of lagos! It is 15 -20 minutes, taxis cost approx. 5 euro.. A car would be beneficial(we had a car for 2 days out of 7 but not absolutely necessary!) I would say the area has a lot of hills so it may not be suitable for older people or children to walk. The nearest beach is Porto de mos which is absolutely stunning, I would say one of the nicest beaches in the area, quite a hill walk back to the hotel though.

Overall we had a fantastic stay at valmar villas, peaceful and relaxing away from the noise of the centre of lagos and close to a fantastic beach! Would definitely return if coming to lagos.

• Stayed August 2013