“Always Great”

Ranked #26 of 421 Restaurants in Lagos
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Ok, it's not fine dining but it's good food at a great price in a great atmosphere.

My wife rearely wanders from the piri piri chicken which she loves with a passion, whilst I tend to favour the wonderful swordfish or maybe a steak. Salad is basic but tasty and the chips are truly delicious..!!

But the food is only half the story, the atmosphere is laid back and welcoming and the staff are the same. This really is a place not to be missed, great for a drink as well as a meal.

Terrific value and a great night out.

1  Thank Gary J

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good food, and a lovely setting, with mellow music playing. My husband really enjoyed his swordfish, while my salad was fresh and plentiful, but a little bit boring! Good value for money.

2  Thank nw60
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Mullins is a bit of a one-off in appearance in that it's a bit like an old fashioned pub. It has old wooden bench style seating, tall beamed ceilings, and candle lit tables, so it's wonderfully atmospheric.

The staff here are amongst the friendliest we found (in a very friendly town), and it makes the whole experience a delight.We came here twice, not because the food is exceptional, though it is very good, but simply because it's such a nice place to sit and drink and chat.

On our first visit I had their version of local fish soup, and it was superb; beautifully flavoured with bid chunks of fish and prawns. Unfortunately it was a daily special and wasn't available on our return visit which was a damn shame because it was by far and away the best I ate all week. As a main we both had piri-piri chicken, which may be a simple dish, but it was well presented and quite delicious.

On our second visit my wife had a steak in pepper sauce which was succulent and tender, (though slightly under cooked by UK expectations: it was ordered medium-rare and came rare)
and I had swordfish in garlic butter that was fabulous, and all accompanied by potatoes and salad. (Note, I'm not a chip fan, but they serve hand-cut chips here as opposed to the frozen packet things elsewhere, and even I thought they were nice!)

II's reasonably priced as is the wine and beer, and I'd return here in a heartbeat.

2  Thank mozwold
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We loved Mullens, and went there a few times in our three weeks spent in Lagos recently. The staff, and food were great, and the ambience and setting pleased us immensely. Sadly, the reason we marked it down one spot was because they ran out of bread one night, and instead of a pepper sauce with the steak we ordered, they served tarragon sauce, and didn't say anything about it. We would have been happier to have been told that they had no more sauce left...small point, but it took the edge off. The staff were really friendly, and the music and setting really relaxing.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Only in Lagos for a week...but eat here twice. Comfortable atmosphere...great food and good value. More European then authentic Portuguese...but steak/chicken really good. Definitely worth a visit if you're in town. We were there as a couple...but seemed very family-friendly. Staff laid-back but friendly.