“Excellent”

Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Faro
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Great location, great service. WiFi free and works very well. It could do with having further English language TV channels but otherwise great! Good breakfast. Price increases along the year but that is to be expected given the location and seasonal demands.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank expatEdinburgh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Almaty
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I liked my stay there. Location is very good and convenient, close to all attractions. It is very clean and conditions are even better than in some more expensive hotels. They serve tasty breakfasts with good diversity of morning dishes.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Zhamilya
Billinge, Lancashire
Reviewed October 24, 2013

A very good hotel with very pleasant staff.

We had a basic twin room which had everything we wanted bathroom was small but good with good workmanship, even supplied toiletries.

Rooms made up each day and towel changed if desired. Aircon is very good. Beds are firm which is what you would expect really.

Hotel has a rooftop solarium for sun bathing with good views of the old town and marina and the airport planes fly close by for any enthusiasts.

Hotel has a bar as part of the reception area and reasonably priced Café’ also a restaurant for evening meal and used for breakfast in a morning.

Breakfast is mostly everything, one can name, all types of bread, buns, Croissant, different cheeses and wafer meats, different preserves, about 5 types of cereals. fruit cocktail all individual fruit and fresh fruit.

All types of tea, coffee, six different juices. Hot selection, beans tomato, wafer thin bacon sliced sausage, scrambled egg & mushroom.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LairdandLady4
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was our second choice hotel our first having been a disaster so we were ready to compromise a little. 3 star it certainly is and just about worth the price. Clean it certainly is but not spotless. The room was average to small with an ok functioning bathroom. Breakfast was ok and the one quick pasta lunch we had in the café was fine , we have to compliment them for opening the kitchen up after their normal hours for us. The aircon did not work and despite promises was not fixed until the last day of our five night stay. The reception was a bit touchy - they tried to blame the ac fault on open windows which we opened BECAUSE there was no ac so there was a difference of opinion. The location was so ideal that we have to give it a very good but the service was without a smile.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The Sundowners
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights and arrived around 630pm. I was greeted by a lovely very easy going receptionist who gave me every information about the hotel, rooms, breakfast times, and even told me where I could go to do my laundry if I didn't want to use their services. That evening I accidentally broke a glass in the room and I personally came down stairs to ask for a brush and pan. She was more than happy to come up and clean the glass up for me. I offered but she was definite about coming and had a lovely chat and they were very understanding. As for the other receptionists... very dry! Personality of a dead camel!!!!!!!! Very straightforward and not the Portuguese hospitality every one raves on about. One night at the restaurant I had a meal of grilled beef with vegetables. Unfortunately the meat had a strange smell to it. It could have been a fish sauce or something but it didn't taste the best. I spoke to the waitress about the meat and she got all defensive saying that the meat was fresh and she saw the cook take it out herself. Anyone would think she owned the abattoir and I was having a go at her cattle! LOL. Wasn't something I expected. Kinda almost felt embarrassed i even mentioned it. She was very apologetic about it later and I survived the bad smell.
So, over all, service is only good when the night receptionist is about . LOL.
Room a little meh, mini bar is dodgy, never knew I could smoke on the balcony LOL. If i knew that I'd have stoppd doing the "nigel no friends" out the front of the hotel! LOL.
beds are hard and pillows so need to be replaced!.
Location is fantastic but for a newbie in town you need to ask for directions.
My lesson in Faro - Learn a little portuguese so you don't get treated like you're some upper class ignorant snob! I do know Falo Inglese LOL.

Room Tip: if you're a smoker, ASK if you can smoke on the balcony. I only realised this from another trip...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Rhysiee
Pretoria
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at Santa Maria on the 8th and 9th of Sept 2013. We were welcomed by friendly staff and advised about free parking for our car very nearby. The hotel's location is perfect for discovering Faro and we could reach all the places we wanted to visit on foot. We enjoyed the free Wifi and could contact our children in South Africa. The hotel also recommended. a restaurant where we could enjoy a light meal after 10 o'clockon the noght of our arrival. This hotel was good value for money.. The breakfast was really good and we started our holiday in Portugal on a high note.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank reisigerPretoria
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Location is fantastic as has been mentioned by others.
I am a smoker but smoking was restricted to very small balcony - I don't have a problem with that but an ashtray and seat on the balcony would have been appreciated.
Personally I found the room a little small but spotlessly clean. The bed was very hard and I found this rather uncomfortable but that's a matter of personal preference. Bathroom had shower only and was very small indeed.
Like other recent reviewers found that breakfast was perfectly fine with a reasonable variety, given the class of hotel. I found the quality of the food acceptable for the grade of hotel. Supplies were replenished when necessary and staff visible and pleasant.
Another reviewer mentioned the reception staff and I agree that they did not volunteer information but whenever I asked them for information they were pleasant and helpful and I found that they had all the information I required. Although plans are not provided in the room, if you ask reception staff they will provide a small plan of Faro with information as to restaurants and attractions.
My biggest gripe (and not really anything to do with the hotel) was the noise and disruption from the pastelaria across the road from my room which was disruptive at all hours of the day and night. Despite reasonable double glazing I was awoken several times in the early hours of the morning by staff and patrons of the pastelaria.

Room Tip: If possible avoid rooms facing Rua de Portugal because of noise from surrounding establishments.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo