“Service sans smile”

Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Faro
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Service sans smile”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was our second choice hotel our first having been a disaster so we were ready to compromise a little. 3 star it certainly is and just about worth the price. Clean it certainly is but not spotless. The room was average to small with an ok functioning bathroom. Breakfast was ok and the one quick pasta lunch we had in the café was fine , we have to compliment them for opening the kitchen up after their normal hours for us. The aircon did not work and despite promises was not fixed until the last day of our five night stay. The reception was a bit touchy - they tried to blame the ac fault on open windows which we opened BECAUSE there was no ac so there was a difference of opinion. The location was so ideal that we have to give it a very good but the service was without a smile.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The Sundowners

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights and arrived around 630pm. I was greeted by a lovely very easy going receptionist who gave me every information about the hotel, rooms, breakfast times, and even told me where I could go to do my laundry if I didn't want to use their services. That evening I accidentally broke a glass in the room and I personally came down stairs to ask for a brush and pan. She was more than happy to come up and clean the glass up for me. I offered but she was definite about coming and had a lovely chat and they were very understanding. As for the other receptionists... very dry! Personality of a dead camel!!!!!!!! Very straightforward and not the Portuguese hospitality every one raves on about. One night at the restaurant I had a meal of grilled beef with vegetables. Unfortunately the meat had a strange smell to it. It could have been a fish sauce or something but it didn't taste the best. I spoke to the waitress about the meat and she got all defensive saying that the meat was fresh and she saw the cook take it out herself. Anyone would think she owned the abattoir and I was having a go at her cattle! LOL. Wasn't something I expected. Kinda almost felt embarrassed i even mentioned it. She was very apologetic about it later and I survived the bad smell.
So, over all, service is only good when the night receptionist is about . LOL.
Room a little meh, mini bar is dodgy, never knew I could smoke on the balcony LOL. If i knew that I'd have stoppd doing the "nigel no friends" out the front of the hotel! LOL.
beds are hard and pillows so need to be replaced!.
Location is fantastic but for a newbie in town you need to ask for directions.
My lesson in Faro - Learn a little portuguese so you don't get treated like you're some upper class ignorant snob! I do know Falo Inglese LOL.

Room Tip: if you're a smoker, ASK if you can smoke on the balcony. I only realised this from another trip...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Rhysiee
Pretoria
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at Santa Maria on the 8th and 9th of Sept 2013. We were welcomed by friendly staff and advised about free parking for our car very nearby. The hotel's location is perfect for discovering Faro and we could reach all the places we wanted to visit on foot. We enjoyed the free Wifi and could contact our children in South Africa. The hotel also recommended. a restaurant where we could enjoy a light meal after 10 o'clockon the noght of our arrival. This hotel was good value for money.. The breakfast was really good and we started our holiday in Portugal on a high note.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank reisigerPretoria
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Location is fantastic as has been mentioned by others.
I am a smoker but smoking was restricted to very small balcony - I don't have a problem with that but an ashtray and seat on the balcony would have been appreciated.
Personally I found the room a little small but spotlessly clean. The bed was very hard and I found this rather uncomfortable but that's a matter of personal preference. Bathroom had shower only and was very small indeed.
Like other recent reviewers found that breakfast was perfectly fine with a reasonable variety, given the class of hotel. I found the quality of the food acceptable for the grade of hotel. Supplies were replenished when necessary and staff visible and pleasant.
Another reviewer mentioned the reception staff and I agree that they did not volunteer information but whenever I asked them for information they were pleasant and helpful and I found that they had all the information I required. Although plans are not provided in the room, if you ask reception staff they will provide a small plan of Faro with information as to restaurants and attractions.
My biggest gripe (and not really anything to do with the hotel) was the noise and disruption from the pastelaria across the road from my room which was disruptive at all hours of the day and night. Despite reasonable double glazing I was awoken several times in the early hours of the morning by staff and patrons of the pastelaria.

Room Tip: If possible avoid rooms facing Rua de Portugal because of noise from surrounding establishments.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nicki C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Great location - right in the middle of the city centre and only 5 minutes walk from the marina. Rooms were fairly large and clean.

Breakfast quality wasn't very good but amounts sufficient.

On the whole and enjoyable experience and will definately be returned here in the near future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RSNL
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Chose this hotel for a weeks stay while in Algavre. Overall, I would score it 5 out of 10 for a 3 star hotel.

Location: The location is superb. It's right in the middle of center, 5min walk to marina, 10min walk to bus and train stations. Surrounded by shops and restaurants, yet quiet street. Location wise it would score 10 out of 10.

Facilities: Facilities were okay. Big room, great bathroom, shower (which was awesome) and a bath tub. We booked a double room, got a twin room instead, but we're not fussy so we just pushed the beds together. Pillows were rather old and out of shape. Mini bar was not refreshed for several days. But still- facilities overall would score 8/9 out of 10.

Bfast: Reading other reviews, noted several complaints about breakfast. I'm not sure what the problem seemed to be for the others. Bfast buffet was perfectly fine, there was a full variety of continental as well as full bfast items, Monday through Friday it was replenished fine, tables cleaned quickly, manager was visible and on duty, helping the waiters. The was one little girl waitress- she is a legend running around at a speed of light, truly impressive! Weekends (I saw two of them) it was slightly different, no manager and the girl was on her on with full house the first weekend, and had another girl helping her the second weekend. All in all, bfast would score 9 out of 10.

The biggest let-down for me- having over 6 years in hotel management industry overall- was the reception. Unfortunately, it would only score 3 out of 10. When checking-in, our questions if the hotel is busy and how is everything overall, were met by "yes, my employer would be happy". Neither of the reception team asked us how our stay was, neither of them recommended any attractions in the city/country, and unfortunately, neither of the reception team would lift their head from their phones/PC to great us or any other guest when they walk in/pass by. This is not a 3 star standard. One of the day time receptionists could not even advise where the beach is or how to get there, so we just booked a taxi. Very little info was provided when asked about the tours they advertise in the main lobby, it took two receptionists to get the minimal info about it, so we ended up booking it elsewhere.

Only the female receptionist who was mainly doing late shifts Mon through Friday was more talkative/welcoming than the others.

Overall, the hotel does what it says in the tin. Great location to stay over for some time, but would not invest the holiday expectations into it. The pricing was also very reasonable.

Room Tip: rooms are fine, receptions was a let-down
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PaulTarbey
Kyoto
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel can be standard as a good 3 star. It has a good location, reception staff cooperates and try to help the guests when they complain( some guests had complains about the rooms). My wife and I got a room with very small double bed. Each mattress was not more than 70 cm). The receptionist responded to our complain, so we got another rom with 2 separated small beds. We found that both the air condition and the minibar did not working properly. We tried to accept that and did not complain more. The room was hot like a sauna rom and we had not cold water. We tolerated that in 3 days. Then we complained again. Lastly we got a proper room.
It is highly recommended that all the old air-condtions and minibars be changed . All the rooms should have a proper and reasonable standard. It is unacceptable that some rooms has so bad standard.

• Stayed July 2013

Travelers are raving about these Faro hotels