“Rip off”

Residencial Afonso III
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Faro
“Rip off”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in August 2013. We have stayed in some pretty basic hotels before on our travels, but this was the worst. I have never done a review before but I feel strongly about fore warning people about this hotel. We paid 70 euros for a double room for the night- wouldn't pay half of that. Staff at reception initially ignored us when we tried to check in. Bathroom was tiny, mouldy, outdated. Nice big balcony to be fair but no furniture to enable us to actually use it! Bed was the most uncomfortable nights sleep I've had in a long time- felt like I was sleeping over on a mates floor. Considering our friends stayed in hotel Eva down the road for 90 euros & it was amazing (clean modern rooms, roof terrace & pool), we felt cheated.

To redeem the place the breakfast was ok.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank E D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Cardiff
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed here and I got the feeling they were not expecting me and my friend despite having the booking confirmation in my hand. The room was small with an old fashion TV and wi fi was difficult to get in the room. No welcome tea or coffee. My biggest gripe was the fact that I could hear the traffic outside the windows and as it was the bikers weekend it made it even worse so I did not sleep well. Cigarettes butts were outside window sill plus I had no balcony as it said on my booking. It was not cheap cheap to stay there but it was handy. The area looks worn down as old empty warehouses is the view from the bedroom, but I don't suppose they can do much about that. Saying all this I would stay there again as it is handy for the centre and station.

Room Tip: take ear plugs
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gwenllian49
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2012

If you are looking for a sea-view, modern hotel in a more 'sterile' part of town then this is not for you.

If like us you appreciate a bit of character and the interesting, artistically decorated abandoned buildings (of which there are many in Faro) then you will enjoy Alfonso's neighbourhood!

The hotel itself has been modernised, we had a really good room, everything you need in it, a balcony, bathroom en suite, good breakfast and pleasant staff. Normal inner town traffic noise - dustbin collection at 1am two mornings a week is a 'surprise' but did not wake me up the second time :)

I found this bargain package deal through Travel Republic and can wholly recommend it.

Room Tip: As for a second floor room overlooking the private hospital
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol L
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My friend and I stayed here to be close to the Faro airport for an early flight out. It was not a terrible stay, but I also wasn't overly impressed. Clean sheets, fresh towels, hassle free check-in and proximity to the bus/train station were what mattered and this hotel had all of those things. I just wasn't "wowed" and compared to so many other adorable places in Portugal, this place only gets an average rating from me.

Good points:
-very close to the train/bus station
-friendly staff upon check in/out
-breakfast included
-cable TV
-modern bathroom

Annoyance:
-tiny, tiny "double" room for 45 euros a night!
-wifi did not work in our room
-breakfast was not too spectacular
-across the street from an old, derelict building and neighborhood felt a tad sketchy (although we were quite safe, it just has that "feel" to it from the old, abandoned buildings near by)
-gross smell in the hallway (room was ok)
-quite loud, could hear people talking in normal voices in the hallway and coming from check in.
-beds were alright but definitely a bit on the uncomfortable side. Fine for a night.

For a one night stop over, it was fine and I had no major complaints. However, I wouldn't use this as my primary hotel if I were to stay longer in Faro.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kiska05
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Stayed here overnight on our way to Albufeira to break up the weekend. We payed around £20 for the night including breakfast and had a clean, comfortable room in a good location - approx 5-10 mins walk from the shops, restaurants etc. Wasnt a great deal to do in the evening but found a great little ice cream bar near the harbour.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jonesyontour
leeds
Reviewed August 14, 2011

the hotel was clean, staff pleasant and helpful, but the area in which the hotel is located is a bit worrying, particularly when you have to park on the street, which may not be outside of the hotel

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

2 Thank mehall-leeds
Lisbon,Portugal
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I went to see Faro bike rally and this as the only place that had a room to get one night sleep. The rooms are spacious, beds are comfy and clean. The location of this place is great and it's very safe place especially for solo travellers. I have to say you can hear some street noise (if you stay in one of the rooms from the street side) - but its not bad and i wasnt bothered by it. Staff was really nice and friendly! Very good price!

Room Tip: Not street side
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo