“Heaven with a view”

Ranked #3 of 24 Faro B&B and Inns
Bournemouth
“Heaven with a view”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We have tried several B and B’s in recent times. Winniehill is up there with the best, worldwide. It is a lovely place to stay - clean, comfy, with super location and views, brilliant breakfasts, good evening meals, if you book the meal in time, and lovely hosts. Robin and Fiona are up there with the best generally but are world champions for their directions to places to visit and dine (very important in the Algarve). When you ask about something, they inevitably come up with a printed set of directions to and from where you want to go which make the puzzle of Portuguese roads fathomable.
We were there for three days, after staying at other parts of the Algarve. We noticed that guests coming to Winniehill while we were there came for between one and three days. Winniehill is good for longer stays. It is good for chilling out, over a period, as well as offering relatively easy access to most of the Algarve.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew R

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Sierra Madre, California
Reviewed July 18, 2013

A friend and I stayed at Winniehill at the end of a three week vacation. The beautiful and immaculate home is high in the hills in a secluded and stunning setting.

Fiona and Robin were wonderful hosts. Fiona's famous breakfasts were by far the best we had in Europe. In good weather breakfast is on the terrace overlooking the pool. Fuschia colored bougainvillea and flowering shrubs frame the view to the sea. Fresh fruit and jams from the garden, hot baked breads, and sumptuous egg dishes and meats, all adorned with flowers and attractive dish ware, made us feel like royalty. We also had one of Fiona's delicious home cooked dinners on the terrace. The broiled sea bass and vegetables were fresh and expertly prepared.

We stayed in the sun-filled Seaview room, which faces the sea. The only challenge was using the small wash basin in the separate bathroom without splashing water on the floor. That being said, I would stay here again. Fiona and Robin also created a comfortable living/tv area for guests that opens to the pool and sea view. It is a perfect place to watch a video, read, talk, play games, or even take a nap. Fig, plum, and orange trees were full of fruit, so we picked sweet juicy plums for snacking.

I had just come from Lisbon where I attended a Rotary convention. Robin happens to be a Rotarian and kindly offered to take me to his Rotary club meeting, but the timing didn't work out. Robin and Fiona's experience in hotels and hospitality is clearly evident. They have done a masterful job of creating a warm and welcoming environment, and made excellent shopping, dining, and sightseeing suggestions. Winniehill is a great choice. You won't want to leave.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SierraMadretravelers
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Robin and Fiona made us feel welcome from our arrival until we left. It is a beautiful villa and lounging round the pool one can fantasise that it is all yours. It is very small in terms of capacity for visitors, but that is part of its charm. Fiona's breakfasts are unbeatable, we even had to ask for less food! And she is amenable to guests keeping their muffins (which are amazing!) back for morning coffee. Snacks and the honesty bar are very reasonably priced. Sadly we did not try an evening meal as we had commitments elsewhere, but on the evidence of our breakfast, we are sure they are excellent - we will let you know when we return, which we certainly will. Part of the joy for us was the presence of Winniehill's much loved dogs, Rupert and Puzzle.

Room Tip: Only two rooms and hard to choose. Juliet balcony over the pool and stunning views in one, and priv...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christine S
UK
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Unfortunately my review will be short and sweet as we only stayed 1 night! All I can say is that it was very good! The location, room, food, hospitality etc was excellent and the only downside is that we were flying home the next day, so it was a short visit! We will definitely return and I have no hesitation in recommending Winniehill.

I do firmly believe that a lot of people like to find fault with anything and I can 100% say that this was one of the best places we stayed on our trip across the Algarve!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our stay last year was so good that we went back again this May for another week and this time took our parents too. Fiona and Robin are wonderful hosts, amazing breakfasts, fabulous meals cooked for us on three different evenings, and all the guidance about the local area you could possibly ask for. Room, pool room and gardens are lovely and the villa commands excellent views down to the sea. Within 20 minutes drive you can be at lots of different beaches, all beautiful and not at all crowded even during half term holiday week end of May/early June. Fiona sorted out an amazing boat trip for us with a brilliant local guide. We can't wait to return. Thanks again Fiona and Robin, on behalf of mum and dad as well as Vanessa, Tommy and I.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andy503975
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We came to rest & relax. Winniehill was perfect for us. We visited at the beginning of June and had fine weather. Robin & Fiona were very welcoming. The breakfast was an amazing feast. "Snacks" are available to buy, as we were too tired upon arrival to go out to eat. Home-prepared, they were delicious. Lovely to sit by the pool at sunset, by candlelight and enjoy local cheese, meat & wine. To us, it was served up with warmth & hospitality. Regarding the weak wi-fi and toilet paper rules - We have been at a hotel in Greece & in an ice cream/bakery in Faro, which banned flushing of t.p. It's not just WInniehill; some of these towns do not have the plumbing capacity to deal with paper, so it is a cultural issue. Yes, internet was not strong in certain rooms/zones. Since we wanted to be unplugged, it was not a big deal. Brought mosquito repellent but wasn't so necessary in June.

Room Tip: If you need to be online alot, request a room that has better connection. We had the downstairs room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Athens, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have delayed writing this review for many months – Fiona and Robin are such genuinely lovely people that the struggle between writing a factual review or a glowing not so factual review so as not to hurt anyone's feelings has been the dilemma.

I am an American and some of the issues that bothered me might be cultural. I can say that I wish someone had written a factual review so that I would have known about some of these issues in advance. A few of the problems would have made me look elsewhere for accommodation had I known they existed before making our reservation.

Some of the items that I am about to list may only be personal annoyances, but forewarned is forearmed and I wish I had been informed.... so here's the list of complaints/annoyances :

Plumbing – we had several plumbing issues. The first one being that on arrival we were told that all toilet paper needs to be put in the waste basket and not flushed – ALL of it. Perhaps this is some of my American prudish, everything must be sterile, etc. mindset, but having to put soiled toilet paper in a waste basket after using the facilities was revolting. The waste basket was emptied daily, but the thought of having someone have to empty that waste bin was horrifying. I'm sure this will cause some eye rolling, but I can't be the only person to find this distasteful.

Plumbing 2 – This one is purely my fault, but had I known, I could have remedied the situation much sooner. During our stay there were several other guests in the house. I delayed showering until quite late each night. I dearly love a super hot shower! The water was always lukewarm on the verge of cool. At the very end of our stay I found out that the hot water heater is turned off each evening. Fiona left it on the night before our departure because we had mentioned we would be showering late due to our super early flight. I'm sure she would have left it on had I asked, so again, this was partly my fault. But, you can't ask if you don't know.

Mosquitoes – our stay was in October and it did rain a bit, we assumed this brought out the mosquitoes. A mosquito repellant plug in thing was provided, but it did not help. We were absolutely eaten alive. And by eaten alive, I mean waking up in the morning with between 10 and 20 bites. We stayed in the room with the tree that has the doors that open to overlook the pool. Even with the doors shut and the a/c on the mosquitoes could still get in. There is no seal around the window/doors – when it rained the water would puddle on the floor in front of the door. Closing the window/door did nothing to prevent the mosquitoes from entering our room.

Break In / Theft – During our visit there was a break in during the night. We awoke to find out that someone had been in the house during the night. We had felt so secure that we had not been bothering to lock ourselves in – that night our door was opened in the wee hours and it awoke me, imagine my surprise when I got up in the morning and the police were there and I found out it had been a burglar. We locked our door at all times from then on and discussed relocating for the rest of our vacation. Robin's laptop was unfortunately stolen from their dining room. The police did not ask to speak to any of the guests and I think Robin and Fiona were distressed by the whole situation and tried to make it go away as quickly as possible.

Internet – This was one of the most aggravating parts of our stay. The website info states there is free wifi – this is crucial to me. No wifi – I won't stay. If being connected is not important to you, then this will not matter. However, had I known the status of the internet, I would have looked elsewhere. I run an internet based business at home and while I was on vacation, I still needed to stay on top of things daily. Also, I like to stay in touch with family and friends who are at home. Yes, there is wifi – if you sit in the hall on the floor (one morning I was in the hall sitting on the floor w/ my laptop. Another guest was down the hall perched at a little decorative table with his laptop and yet another guest was pacing up and down the hall trying to get a signal with her smartphone.) Finally, towards the end of our stay, our internet improved. This was only because of the break in and Robin's laptop being stolen. After the theft, he let us use his internet plug in thing in our room because at this point it was useless to him. I wish I had known there would not be functional internet in our room. Sitting in a hallway on tile floor with a stone wall at your back is okay for a few minutes, but certainly not for a long time!

I have stayed in many B&B's throughout the US and Europe. There are several that we return to time and time again and others that I want to return to again. I would not return to Winniehill.

Room Tip: I stayed in the room with the tree. At first it seemed charming, but after the third time I hit my...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family