“More of a hostel than a hotel, not great value”
Review of Residencial Dandy

Residencial Dandy
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Faro
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Clean, reasonable sized room, comfortable bed, helpful staff (limited English spoken) and close to town cnter delights, trains and bus stations.
Rather quirky layout with narrow corridors, lots of steps, locks that can require skill to use, and a shower that pointed at a strange angle (although it was usable).
Everything worked and the staff were expecting us.
Even though we had en-suite facilities the place had much more of hostel style to it - the balcony next to our room was unusable do to washing hung out, we had a fridge and a microwave, but on a landing outside our room.
Since breakfast was not provided, the cost was not much less that a nearby 'proper' hotel which included breakfast - so a bit expensive for what we got.
The staff were very helpful in sorting out a lost property problem with the bus company! But there isn't any other service apart from checkin/out.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 6, 2011

I arrived at 9pm and checked in without a problem. You pay upon checking in. Everything was clean, room was nicely furnished with its own TV and double bed (the bed was hard as a rock though). I paid 35 euros per night and shared a shower. Service was kind and as helpful as could be considering I did not speak the language. As a place of accomadation I was satisfied, Faro itself was not. It felt like I was in Mexico and as a single female traveller I was concerned at the beginning of my stay. Streets dont have streelamps like in Canada. The town is falling apart as is parts of Tavira which was splashed as the nicest town in the whole Algarve. My experience in southern Portugal was that it was a like a 3rd world country. I was surprised but still got the most out of my trip. Ilha Deserta is highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Booked on line and found on arrival no one knew any English, guy at reception was always grumpy, non helpfull, room allocated was right near the reception desk and had no windows, rustic look to the hotel - should be a hostel! few bathrooms on each floor as it was room only and shared bathroom - was given a double bed even though i booked a single, no help in ordering a taxi - better to pre book if leaving early - i would not want to stay here again, house keeping were moody/snappy for even asking for a clean towel, had to wait till they serviced the room before i could get a clean towel - ok for couples but not for solo travrellers

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank sima b
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We had pre booked this accommodation months in advance on the recommendation of Lonely Planet. Unfortunately when we arrived we were put into a different hotel down the road and offloaded onto the reluctant owner of the hotel. The room we had was tiny. We could not sleep on the bed, and had to take the mattress off the base and sleep on the floor as every time we moved it felt and sounded like it would break, and we are not huge people.

There was no follow up service, and we were left very disappointed as we booked so far in advance. Very glad it was only for two nights!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gralice1
Reviewed July 19, 2011

The hostel is family and the whole place has a bit of quirky cluttered (in good way) feeling. The furniture and decor are old so don't except anything fancy. The staff are friendly and the place is clean. Good budget option in the middle of the centre.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ViiviK
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Good value for money, good location, clean room and very welcoming owner though not speaking very much of English. Can't point out any bad things or problems 'cos we paid £50 in total for two nights. It was better than I expected but keep in mind that this is not for you if your usual stay is 4 or 5 stars :)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissLS
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Dandy is an old town house in centre of Faro. It's cool and shady with potted plants and objet d'art around the place. I liked it. I wanted 'local flavour', if you prefer a Premier inn type place you will hate it.
I stayed 2 nights in room with own basin and shared bathroom & wc for €50. excellent value. my room had antique furniture and high ceiling and shutters at the window. Was clean but not spottless but I don't expect spotless in an old building like this.
The owner has a bit of a grumpy manner, no smiles of welcome. But he was perfectly polite and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2011