“Deplorable...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adega Nova

Adega Nova
Ranked #45 of 304 Restaurants in Faro
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Adelaide, Australia
“Deplorable...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Faro doesn't have a lot of choice, but I'd rather go hungry than eat here. We were seated quickly and politely, I noticed everyone seemed happy so I was hopeful, the menu is vast and multilingual, but the stupid script font almost unreadable.

When I asked our waiter to explain the specials, he simply read out their Portuguese names... so we stuck to what we could read :-)

We ordered soup to start, it was okay. For main grilled pork and grilled mackerel. The pork was way overcooked, it filed the room with smoke and was like eating leather. Served with soggy chips and the most basic salad possible.

The mackerel tasted old, felt mushy and dry, not rich oily meat that is firm and soft and cleanly flakes away with the fork. I complained, which was hard in English. I felt that the response was defensive rather than apologetic since the waiters smugly looked at each other and gathered the support of a regular who asked me if I knew what I ordered... Yes, i have eaten mackerel plenty.

Their resolution was to cook me a new fish, which they showed me fresh. I would have preferred to order vegetarian since their ability to cook meat was questionable, but I was not asked what I would like.... The replacement was fried, but was admittedly much nicer, fresher, moist and a good kind of flaky. We had some ok desert too and one waiter did make some effort to reconcile, while the others continued to shoot scathing glances.

All in all, horrible service which made for a horrible atmosphere, mainly arrogant, angry waiters and sub-par food. Not the cheapest either, especially since they charge small fees for bread, olives and cheese that awaits you before you sit.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

• Polish first
Loulé
“Good and simple.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

It's not the most agreeable or quiet place but you can count on good food and service.
Would sugest going for the grilled food, either meat or fresh fish.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Adelaide
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

A huge menu with multi languages. The waiters were helpful in explaining menu items. The food was tasty and well cooked and generous serves for the money. Great value. Would recommend.

Poznan, Poland
“the only place we visited twice for a dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We were in Portugal for two weeks last summer (august 2012) - in Algarve and Lizbon and this is the ONLY restaurent we went twice for dinner. We did not come back to any other place and this restaurant was eaaly worth comming back - great Portugees food, great atmosphere and really friendly staff!!!

• Visited August 2012
Ripon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food and excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

We came to Adega Nova after reading other reviews and enjoyed it so much, we came back the next night. I had prawn and monkfish kebabs which were perfectly cooked and HUGE!! They were served with chips and salad - excellent value for 13 Euro. The house wine was excellent - we had a bottle the first night and a carafe the second night, which was half the price of the bottle (only 4 Euro), but it was worth paying 8.5 Euro for the bottle - much better quality,but at 4 Euro (did I mention that already?) I'm not complaining.
The service was very good - friendly without being obtrusive, but we did have to wait a while for food. It was well worth the wait and obviously cooked to order, so I didn't mind too much.
It was around 40 Euro for tapas (in Portuguese tradition, they put it on the table - if you eat it, you pay for it, if not, you don't), 2 main courses, wine and 1 pudding.
One minor criticism - the bench seats could do with some cushions.

• Visited November 2012