All reviews hired a car pans kettle reception pool
Reviewed May 27, 2017 via mobile

Stayed at Ponta Grande Carvoeiro for 13 nights came back yesterday, we were last here in these apartments six years ago, needless to say it has had a refurbishment to a high standard and makes it look and feel a lot homelier. Although only two of us went we got a two bedroom appointment downstairs as I like having a garden I can sit in and eat my breakfast and any other meal I fancy. The first week we were there we had very noisy neighbours above us and all you could here was one woman walking up and down in what sounded like high heals, the scraping of chairs on the tiled floors and every time they went to the bathroom. Once they went out which thank god was often it was lovely and peaceful and when they left we put the flag up. The day after two more couples moved in above us and they were great never really heard them at all. Even though there was a few rooms let not many people used the pool that consisted of three pools the first one a paddling pool for little ones I stood in it and it went up to my knees and there is a glass partition between that and the next pool down that is 150m to 180m deep that then flowed to the third pool that was 180m plus. Between each pool was a little waterfall and there are sun beds around the pool sides, the pool was cleaned every day and the sun beds looked new and they are comfy too. The two bedrooms had a double bed in one and two single beds in the other room you had two, two seater settees a coffee table rug on floor television on wall and a fake chimney a table and six chairs, sideboard and pictures fruit bowls plant and other bits to make it feel homely. The bathroom had a full size bath, bday, large sink and a shower over the bath clean fluffy towels and soap and other bits as a welcome pack also toilet roll the water was always lovely and hot. The kitchen had everything in it you could possibly need a fridge, freezer, microwave, toaster, kettle, electric oven and hob, six of everything knives, forks and spoons then another full set just smaller, pans, frying pan, plates, coffee cups, bowls, pudding bowls, big glasses, small glasses, casserole dishes, mop and bucket, iron and ironing board washing machine, oh and also a breakfast table and chairs in the kitchen small plastic table and chairs on front balcony and big table and chairs on back patio. They also have a safe for €2.50 Euro a day but thought this was a bit steep and you can also hire hairdryers and wands as they call them but I took my own so don't know how much to hire them. There is a shop that sells food up the road also a bar and a restaurant and a buss stop nearly opposite but we hired a car for the two weeks for €300. I personally would not stay here without a car as I love to go out and about finding new beaches and places I haven't been before but if your not one for going out and about that often and rely on busses and taxis at home you will be fine without one. The cleaner comes in every other day makes your bed if you haven't already done she sweeps the floor and mops it brings clean towels and toilet roll and completely changes the bed once a week. Any problems with anything there is a maintenance man there every day, your given a phone number when you arrive for any emergency and there is someone on the other end no matter what time of the day or night. You also get free wifi but you either have to be next to the reception or on the first two sun beds next to the baby pool. We really enjoyed our stay and are already booking it again for next your.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2017

I made a booking with Travel Republic for this Hotel based on its location and although the lights were on, the reception never opened. I called many times, emailed and no one responded. I am still waiting to have my payment returned and even a confirmation of that is still forthcoming. If you want to pay but never stay then this is the hotel for you. Basically I was left stranded and had to fork out a lot for another Hotel locally the first night of my business trip, before finding somewhwere suitable.
Absolutely appalling service and should not be listed on any website.
I found another Hotel in Lagoa for my 5 nights called The Lagoa Hotel which was extrely pleasant and will write a separate review of that

Room tip: They take your money, fail to open and leave you stranded !
Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank paulolivermcdowell
Reviewed August 5, 2015

I had emailed to say we would be arriving late and Daniela had sent me an email with all the relevant information needed and we found it perfectly. The Mosquitos were very hungry on our first night and fed well! OMG how they itch, however that is Portugal in the height of season only wish they had sprayed our rooms before we arrived. No welcome pack but as I had asked prior to setting off we managed to stop off and buy essentials on our arrival. The rooms were clean and very tidy although the bathroom could do with a revamp. The grandchildren loved the pools, they were kept very clean and tidy and also a small child playground which proved useful. Felt very safe whilst staying there, have been to previous places and have been burgled, but there were many gardeners/housekeepers working throughout the day and night.
Very friendly area, nice local pubs and excellent restaurant nearby - hexagon!
Will definitely return, we felt very welcomed. Best buy out there FLY SPRAY, spray who you leave and no mossies on your return also as there is no air conditioning, there are fans available from reception at no extra cost, not sure why they do not place the in the apartments on arrival?? All in all, excellent price for a holiday in a very nice part of Portugal.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Geraldine02
Reviewed July 25, 2015

The hotel was well signposted. however out taxi driver missed it. It's name was there but it was hidden on a wall that had a car parked in a space right over the sign.
The room we had was a good size for the 3 of us and was perfect for our stay. The place was a small concern and the local area was quite. The reception was closed on Sunday and Wednesday, which di cause a few issues when trying to get anywhere....My Spanish is not perfect and talkng on the phone made it even more difficult..
The mnearest beach was good 20 mins away but it had no entertainment. the town of Carvoeiro was a good 40 mins walk, with nothing but scenery, beautiful in the day.... When there though the town was good there were bars and restaurants all the way to the beach anf there was a concert every night..
We also found a good bar in the other direction in Ferigouda right on the beach..
we did have a good holiday, not a place if you are looking for a lot of life..Very restful

Date of stay: June 2015
Reviewed July 14, 2015

Just come back from 2 weeks stay at the Ponta Grande. For us the area was perfect out of Carvoeiro but only a short drive and plenty of beaches easily driven to and restaurants within a short drive or walk. The grounds of the hotel were kept in fantastic condition apart from the over watering which led to major mosquito issues. The mosquitos combined with no air conditioning seriously detracted from the holiday experience and led to a high level of discomfort as we needed to keep everything shut up trapping the heat in the apartment

We stayed ion 1 of the rooms which had been given a "soft" refurbishment, basically a lick of paint, some new curtains and maybe lounge / dining furniture. The main double bed was truly horrendous hard yet springy so move only a tiny bit and bounce your partner across the bed, lol. The pillows were the worst we have ever experienced small foam pads for the newer ones, the older ones the same pads but disintegrating into small pieces

Bathroom cracked and chipped tiles throughout although the water pressure was good and the hot water never a problem. Kitchen horribly dated and poorly designed with no over. With no BBQ area this meant we ate out more often than ideal

This site requires serious investment and until that is undertaken we would not consider this property again, although we would be happy to return to the area as we loved the Portugal experience which is far more laid back than Spain in our opinion

Room tip: 19 is the most recently refubed however it also has the biggest mosquito problem
Date of stay: July 2015