“What a gem!”

Cuisines: Italian, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Never noticed Ma Ja's before but we stumbled upon it yesterday. A real, home cooked meal, excellent food and friendly efficient service. Prices great too, the bill was surprisingly low. Nice atmosphere, will certainly be back again.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Well not that far, but away from the main town and an opportunity for a bit of home cooking or a relaxed drink. There's a varied menu but if you and you kids hanker for a traditional English meal, then Ma Jas is the place. Children are made welcome with colouring books and other entertainment, whilst mum and dad can enjoy a choice of meals to suit their personal taste. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

1  Thank laserbazer
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I love this place - I live near to it so I eat there quite a lot. Yet I never get bored of going there - the menu is quite varied. Feel like a taste of home? Steak pie, fish and chips or sausage and mash will all hit the spot. Fancy something local? One of the cataplana options (big dish full of rice, fish, meat, like Paella) to share for 2 is a nice option. Something a bit further afield? Singapore fried noodles or Fajitas are excellent.

This place is run by a British couple (the Ma-Ja's comes from their names, Mark/Jan). Jan handles the front, Marks in the kitchen. Both really friendly, Mark will always pop out of the kitchen and ask how the meal is - I love to see that in restaurants as it shows that the chef actually cares about what he's serving up.

If you forced me to pick which one of the menu options I liked best... it'd be a hard choice but I think I might need to go with the steak and ale pie, served with mash and some veg.

Its probably worth mentioning the Sunday Roast too - obviously available on Sunday only :) You get everything you'd expect - 3 course meal with your choice of beef/turkey/etc, veg, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings. I love this as its just so much hassle trying to do a roast at home... and I can't do proper fresh yorkshire puddings like Mark can anyway!

So I would highly recommend this place - everything is freshly made and of a good quality. ‘Ma’ is doing a great job cooking it up, and ‘Ja’ is doing a superb job dealing with everyone - very friendly and helpful when I’ve had questions about other places around town etc. It makes a refreshing change from some of the Portuguese run places to get that level of service.

1  Thank 365Lee
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We are regular visitors to Carvoeiro but tend to be focused on the other side of town. Have walked past Ma-Ja's in the past but never actually tried it This year we were looking for Christmas Day lunch/dinner. A few restaurants were offering special menus but to be honest they were all a bit too fancy. We were looking for Christmas dinner... turkey and all the trimmings. I found Ma-Ja's Christmas menu on the Internet and contacted them but they only had two places left and we were three. However, they rearranged and accommodated us. What a super lunch it was. All of the food was super and we loved every bit of it. There was wine/drinks included and the owners made a real effort to make it a special occasion for everyone. The place was full and everyone was having a great day. Food was great, hospitality was great and we will definitely return.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Strolling around Carvoeiro I came across Majas Restaurant, delighted to find they served English food cooked to a high standard.
Mark the chef will cook anything you want if you ask, not many restaurants will do that and no mistake.
Clean, Friendly, Relaxing, Good food.
I will return for more of that.