“Nice country club and friendly service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Quinta do Paraiso

Quinta do Paraiso
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Carvoeiro
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Nice country club and friendly service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We have spent our yearly summer holidays here since 2000, not every year since then, but off and on. This year we were happy to notice that “Trattoria Oliveira” the Italian restaurant was brought back to the management of the parc. Quality of the food has improved without doubt since last year, but still needs attention when looked upon from a price – quality ratio. It would be nice when focus could transfer a bit more from moneymaking to decent home cooking.

Unfortunately the 'Rabello" restaurant has been altered in a daily changing buffet formula. As I don’t like buffet restaurants, we haven’t tried it, so I’m not able to judge this.

The park itself is very nice as always. Spacious without high rise, lots of green, actually a kind of green residential area. An animationteam which fortunately is not very noisy, and offering entertainment for those who like it.

My special thanks this year goes to Gillian, the Scottish receptionist and Vera, Miguel and Ricardo which were always very thoughtful waiters.

I hope to return soon

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Marc H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sussex, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Myself & my family were at this lovely hotel last summer. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a 2 bed bungalow from a 1 bed apartment. The complex was fantastic, along with the staff, the town was lovely & beaches were excellent. We met some very friendly family's & had a great time.

Room Tip: Get an upgrade, if you can, there fantastic bungalows.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank David A
Droitwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Quinta do Paraiso is a resort on the outskirts of Carvoeiro, around 15-20 minutes walk from the town and main beach. The main area has two big swimming pools and a paddling pool, a bar, games area and restaurants. There's also a well-stocked minimarket. A regular shuttlebus takes guests down to the town. The accommodation ranges from apartments, that tend to be at the far end of the resort, with their own pool and minibar, two bedroom bungalows and privately owned villas, most with their own pool. Many of the bungalows are privately owned and standards can vary. The superior ones tend to be better maintained and have aircon and satellite TV. A tip, the Quinta do Paraiso website has photos of selected properties and these tend to be the better ones, so ask for one of these when booking.

The resort is ideal for families. There's plenty to keep teenagers engaged and a kiddies club for the younger ones. Being away from the bustle of the town, it is also quieter at night.

Room Tip: Pick one that is illustrated on the website
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank laserbazer
world traveller in Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We booked a family holiday, including breakfast, in a 3 bedroom villa with swimming pool. Prices were reasonable. We were with 3 small children, and in that case you need to rent a car for a few days to pick up some groceries and just go see something else (TIP 1).

But as children go, they are most happy around the swimming pool or the beach. And in this case, Quinta do Paraiso was definitely an easy pick for kids to make friends. All swimming pools were cooled!Meaning that in the morning it could be a bit cold, but as soon as the sun starts to shine, temperature increases to more bearable levels.

Our house had everything one could need, as it was a private villa rented out during the holiday season. So well equipped kitchen, flatscreen tv, dvd etc. Beds and villa was cleaned 3 times a week, when also new fresh towels were supplied.

The main area was a downhill 10 minute walk for us (although with bigger kids you could do it in 5 minutes). The beach at Cavoeiro was a 20 minute walk (all downhill, but the way back is... uphill).

The main area had three good swimming pools, and a small drinking area as well as a restaurant. It is this main area which is starting to show some decline. Although all prices were reasonable (2.2 Euro for a fresh orange juice), you could see that they are scratching together all means to save. The breakfast is for example poor, and described well by the previous reviewer. It made us choose to have our breakfast at our villa. So no need to book haf board or with breakfast (TIP 2). Perhaps this is due to the tornado which hit the area a few years ago? Perhaps it is the general condition in Portugal? However staff was very friendly and always helpful.

The beach in Carvoeiro was excellent for small children, as it was enclosed and not very large. Nevertheless it was not too busy when we were there, meaning that kids can walk around freely without ever loosing them out of your sight.

In general the people populating the resort were Dutch or English, with some Germans. Almost all families, with children ages upto 12. 'Animation' was well arranged, and not too intrusive.

So in conclusion; if you want a relatively cheap holiday, but well furnished you could choose for this location. ideal for a holiday with kids.

Room Tip: Our 3 bedroom villa (106) was excellent
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank worldtravellerTom
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I really cannot beileve all these positive feedbacks!
And I don't really know where to start...I'll try and keep it short for you though there is so much to tell!

First of all I arrived quite early at the hotel. The reception area was nice and the pool looked clean and there were enough sunbeds for everyone. I knew that check in was not until 3pm so I went down to the beach, which is actually a nice little walk of 10 minutes. It keeps you from getting too lazy.
When I got back I was driven to my room. Yes driven, because it was about 7-10 minutes walk away from the main area with reception, pool, restaurant etc. That means I walked about 20 minutes from my room to the beach. Alright, bearable, but not ok if you forget anything.
My room was small and without the slightest luxury except for a loudly humming fridge. I unplugged it immediately, BUT it was very clean! So no complaints about the room service.
The room had two single beds and a bathroom. No TV, no phone. Who need TV when on holidays, so that was ok. A phone might have been handy to call the reception for example.
So I could live with the room.
I took a shower and went down to the restaurant for dinner, since I had booked half board.
It was disgusting. I didn't expect anything fancy or a lot of choice or dishes but this was just not edible. Everything, from the fish to the chicken to the spaghetti, had the same color and was without any flavor. There was no sauce to the pasta. So I had a dry piece of just-cooked chicken with dry potatoes. Not very flattering for your first dinner on vacation!
Later, when I was already half asleep, my neighbours came home. We had a studio with the connecting door locked. But I could hear every singel word they said. And they were not yelling or shouting! There were just speaking in a decent volume. Still I could understand everything they said. Meanwhile I killed 14 blood-filled mosquitoes (which has nothing to do with the hotel but just added to my annoyance).
When the neighbours went to bed I thought I could sleep. Boy was I wrong! The guy started snoring in such a volume, that I did not sleep for one minute that night. What a start into a holiday: bad food and bad sleep. So the next day I bought some earplugs from the pharmacy since it was not possible to change rooms. (Still, I wonder, which hotel is ever booked 100% and still does not have enough money to build thicker walls???) I don't want to have to use earplugs to sleep while I'm on vacation! It's a time to relax! But that was the only way unfortunately...
And everytime I passed the reception desk there were other guests complaining about the noise and the fridge. So I was not the only one and not overreacting, if that's what some of you might think.
Breakfast was ok. There was 3 types of bread, 3 types of ham and salami and one type of cheese. Most of the time they only had apples but I would have loved some watermelon or nektarines for breakfast. I bought them at the local supermarket. So it was ok.
Therefore I thought I'd give dinner another chance. I went down and had a look at the food.
It was again: colorless, looked already flavorless and not really appealing. Since I want to spoil myself on a vacation and not live at the limit, I decided to go down to a restaurant at the beach. And that is what I did for the rest of the week. I was really really disappointed that I had payed for half board and then had to spend more money at restaurants, too, but all I wanted was to enjoy my time off!
Nevertheless the rest of my week in Carvoeiro was nice. I didn't spend any time at the hotel but down at the beach and also went to Portimao to go on the pirate ship cruise to see the caves along the coast. If you don't spend any time at the hotel and also eat out, then you can have a nice time in Carvoeiro.
At the end of the week I wanted to check the time for my pick up to the airport. When it was not there the second time I asked, the guy at the reception literally told me "That's not my problem!". What kind of service is it when you don't give a [--] about your guests? You don't just tell them it's not your problem!! That's also a matter of manners, I think. So I had to call the tour operator but I was supposed to use my own mobile phone! I got really angry and when he asked me a few minutes later if I was "feeling normal again", I almost exploded. That's not a way to treat your paying customers!!!! After some arguing he at least let me use the hotel phone to call the tour operator. I think that was the least he could do.

The next day I felt a wave of relieve wash over me when we left Quinta do Paraiso behind us on our way to the airport.

I have to thank Gillian, the nice scottish receptionist, for making me feel welcome whenever I passed the reception desk! She is definitely the nicest person in the hotel and always tried to help wherever she could.

If I had booked a cheaper hotel this is what I would have expected. This was more like a hostel and therefore not nearly worth what I have paid.
I am disappointed that no reviews here indicated the situation at that hotel.

So: never again a packaged trip and definitely never again Quinta do Paraiso!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Globetrotter H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

My cousin and I went to Quinto Do Paraiso for a nice relaxing holiday. That's exactly what we got. For a 3* hotel we didn't expect such fantastic room. The staff were super friendly and approachable except one of the receptionists - but maybe she was not having a good day. All in all it was a brilliant 6night half board holiday!!! Yes we will be going back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tahirah D
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

We had booked a one bed standard apartment but on arrival found we were in a two bed superior, which was a pleasant surprise as it meant our babba now had his own room! Quinta is a very large resort but it feels more like a little village. We were staying at the northern most point of the development which probably added another ten minutes onto our walk into town but that was no problem. It really is a pleasant walk into Carvoeiro and the hills are not difficult as suggested elsewhere.
The resort is spotless and had a lovely family vibe. Everything you need is catered for with a few restaurants and a mini market. Would easily and happily recommend this resort.

We are planning to return again!

• Stayed June 2013