“Excellent value for money”
Review of Hotel Baia Cristal

Hotel Baia Cristal
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Carvoeiro
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We arrived at the hotel at start of april 2014. Our check in wasnt till 2pm so had to hang around but reception kindly let us in earlier as it was a horrible day with the weather. The location of the hotel is excellent if you like a quiet more relaxed holiday, definitely no loud clubs or towns near by to annoy you. We went all inclusive which i was a bit apprehensive about after being to some hotels in the past with awful food, but i was very pleased with hotel baia cristal's food and the choice was great, there was a huge range and local dishes to try which was lovely! The staff were all very friendly, the only thing i can fault them on, is that none of them really knew what was included in the all inclusive, so you found sometimes certain staff were giving you more things and other staff members said no your not allowed that in all inclusive etc, so they didnt really have a grasp of what was allowed and not allowed, as i think it was a fairly new system to them all. The room was pleasant and big enough, a little disappointed in the "balcony" as we didnt really get a balcony as there was no fencing around it for it to be called a balcony as our apartment was on the ground floor. However, the room was pleasant and kept very clean. The shower was in very poor condition which i found annoying as i needed to use this daily, the hook you hang the shower on, dont know if it was broken or what was wrong with it, but it made the angle of the shower almost impossible to use each time which resulted in water flooding the bathroom floor at each use, the cleaners would of thought we made a right mess every day!

However all in all, we had a really really great time at hotel baia cristal and would definately stay again and recommend to friends and family! Big thumbs up!!

Room Tip: Sea view better for overall views.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank meganward95
NelsonPascoal, Gerente de recepção at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this review, May 3, 2014

Thank you very much for your review.

We are very pleased to know that you have had a good time in the Hotel Baía Cristal, and that you apreciate our staff and our service.

We know that the hotel is not a brand new hotel, but we are making some improvements, aiming to provide a relaxing and pleasant stay to our all guests.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at Hotel Baía Cristal in the near future.

Kindests regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

A New Year stay to get away from the rain! A pleasant hotel with potential to be excellent! Staff were helpful and requests addressed when mentioned e.g. Kettle for the room and a new shower head. Our room 249 was spacious and clean, in fact the whole hotel and resort was clean and I would commend hotel staff for this. Beds were also comfortable and air conditioning worked well. Nevertheless, only a couple of staff members went out of their way to say hallo or smile (some did but it took a little coaxing). It is a four star but we don't think by British standards but yet it is a good find as long as your expectations are realistic. I would also like to note that we went during off season and things could be very different in the Summer.

It was, however, a delight to actually have a telly in the room which received the BBC! That is often a rarity in hotels abroad. The hotel is really well situated to get into town and for some super walks along the coast and cliffs. Town is fab with friendly people and places to get shopping etc.

Breakfast was adequate with the usual range of food to appeal to various continental visitors but not kept as warm as it should be e.g. Bacon, eggs and beans.

The key issue is that everything needs updating. The decor is dated and bits are falling off e.g electric sockets. There is a maintenance team and we could see the work they put into the paths etc. bar pleasant enough but felt a little tired and dark!!!! House red was not great and I stopped getting it after the second glass but the cocktails are recommended and reasonably priced. The service was good in the bar and staff amenable.

We didn't want to have an evening meal at the hotel because of the price and limited menu for vegetarians (but there are plenty of brilliant places to eat a few yards down the road).

The SPA area is well worth a visit and Vera was a wonderful masseuse and should be commended for her friendliness and professionalism. Nevertheless, once again, the area needs updating. The inside pool is far too cold! The Jacuzzi is lovely and sauna is good (although some elderly Germanic visitors were rather too keen to take all their clothes off). It all just needs a little planning as the potential is there.

We were very thankful for the lunch bag for the transfer (which was early and long), so thank you very much for that.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MRB01
NelsonPascoal, Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
We are happy to know that you enjoyed the Hotel Baía Cristal, the staff and our service.
We know that the hotel is not a new hotel, but we are making some improvements, with the aim of providing a relaxing and pleasant stay to our all guests.
We want to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at Hotel Baía Cristal in the near future.
Warm regards,
Ashtead
Reviewed November 3, 2013

stayed at this hotel in October 2013 for 7 days.
We are extremely experienced world wide travellers and are not that hard to please as we travel a lot when we are away and often go out for the whole day so we don't need the hotel as much as some.
What I do expect is there to a least be a little bit of courtesy and a reasonable standard of hotel as a 4 star.
This hotel is NOT in any way shape or form a 4star hotel and at best I would put at a 2 star.
The rooms was basic with old furniture with a noisy tile floor and fairly dirty.
The bathroom was ok apart from dirty black water coming out of the taps and shower.
The noise was so bad we could hear other guests going to the toilet three rooms away.
Breakfast was ok if you picked the right day.
I asked why there were no eggs and I was told that if I wanted a egg for breakfast I will need to pay extra for it ( 4 star hotel I don't think so)
I asked to use the swimming pool and was told I have to pay 10 euros as a deposit (4 star hotel I don't think so) and you have to pay for a safe deposit box.
I asked when we arrived from uk at 9pm at the reception if we could get a bar snack anywhere and was told I don't know by reception when I went to the bar was told I can have a sandwich but nothing else as they are busy unless I go to my room and order it then they can charge me a extra 5 euros which the barman thought was very funny.
The walk to the town from the hotel is around 20 mins but coming back is a good 30 mins as its a bit uphill coming back.
My advice
There as so may good hotels in Portugal so use one of them and stay away from this one.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Karl L
Dear guest,
We regret that you have not liked our hotel, however I would like to tell you that a large part of your comments are not true. There are eggs every day for breakfast without any supplement, use of the pool is free and without any supplement, the water flowing from taps is absolutely normal.
We also know the reaction of some people when they want everything without paying for it ...

Travelers are raving about these Carvoeiro hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in Hotel Baia Cristal in Carvoeiro in July 2013 for 5 nights. We were after a relaxing, sunshine holiday after previously opting for city breaks. We were on somewhat of a budget and were well aware that the money we had to spend wasn't going to get us top quality luxury but felt confident that if we spent a bit of time researching we could find the right place for us. Anyway, we finally decided on Baia Cristal and while I felt like we had chosen wisely we still had that small feeling of apprehension as we arrived. But we needn't have worried. We had a fantastic room which just had the right feel to it. We were on 3rd floor with a gorgeous view over the Atlantic and when the balcony door was left open it seemed to light up the room and fill it with a refreshing and calming air. It was big enough to fit a double bed and small separate table and sofa in along with a TV complete with bbc 1! The double bed was comfortable, the bathroom clean and tidy enough however was a tiny bit of a let down and while wasn't bad enough to spoil the experience, it definitely could have been a bit better. The shower didn't have a great flow and the old, plastic shower curtain could do with being changed. However, like I said, it was clean and hygienic which is what really matters about a bathroom. The breakfast every morning was great with a wonderful selection of breads, meats, tea and coffee, cereals and fruits and eggs which changed each day. My girlfriend was excited to see hash browns too. The pool was surprisingly as lovely to be around as it looked in the pictures with a large pool for messing around in and having fun and a separate smaller pool for lounging around in a bit more peace and quiet which was perfect for us. The poolside bar was an added bonus. Almost as an accident I stumbled upon the sauna and steam room which I loved as I was the only one using it. The location of the hotel was fantastic, set up on the cliff top, 15 minutes walk away from the lively yet not over-crowded pretty town of Carvoeiro which had some really lovely places to eat and drink and 5 minutes walk the other was one of the prettiest beaches I've ever seen which was in a small little cove. The beach gets quite busy upto about 1 in the afternoon but at that time the tide comes in and you can't get on or off the beach. While every single person got up and left the beach, my girlfriend and I chose to stay and literally had our own private beach for the next 5 hours!! The back of the beach is lined with cliffs which provide cool caves to sit or lie in to get out of the sun too. It was one of the best afternoons of my life! Getting back to the hotel, our room was cleaned daily and sheets and towels were changed every two days and the bar was open late so we could get a nightcap in by the pool after spending the evening down in the town. The only slight problem I could find with the hotel apart from the shower was the fact the air conditioning wasn't very good at all. But to be honest that really didn't bother us at all. More important to us was everything else I've listed which was all great and both of us would not hesitate to go back to Baia Cristal. Seriously, for the price you can find for a 5-7 night stay here, it would be very hard to beat. If you're after a relaxing, rejuvenating trip to Portugal away from mad crowds, young clubbers but still want to be in and around a bit of life with plenty of places to eat and drink while doing all this without breaking the bank I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Worth asking for a sea view room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Nick D
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your comments that we appreciated.
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Baía Cristal and will recommend us.
We would like to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our Hotel on the future.
Obrigado,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2013

good price received on hotwire. not a 4 star. breakfast needs improvement, food cold and signs posted at the door that say if you take stuff away with you, you will be charged - pretty tacky in that respect. Asked receptionist for 2 ashtrays to smoke on balcony with my boyfried, ingnored me or was being impetulant and gave me one. Some of the staff were very nice and some of the staff were fed up with us. I am extremely well mannered even when I know I am not being treated properly. We enjoyed our stay because we made it enjoyable not because the hotel made it enjoyable. The rooms were clean and some of the staff were nice.

Room Tip: good economy place to stay
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tripster1964
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We have just returned from this hotel - first time we have stayed in a hotel in the past 5 visits to Carvoeiro. Having read some very negative reviews a few days before we left we were a little apprehensive. However, no need for apprehension we had a really lovely time in a very nice hotel that basically needs a bit of a face lift. Some of the furnishings are dated and look tired but the hotel is spotlessly clean, food is good (we only had breakfast) but could be a little more varied. The restaurant is nicely situated but in my opinion would be much more welcoming if it was set out differently-it looks a bit like a canteen. Staff in the main were lovely, one or two were a bit 'snappy' but that could happen anywhere. I also feel that being a 4* hotel Wifi should be more widely available and free. The sound proofing in our bedroom was not the best but I think this is because of the design of the building. The position of the hotel is unbeatable and we would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Get a sea view it's a must!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mibon
Thank you very much for your review.
Hope to welcome you again on the future.
llangynidr
Reviewed October 20, 2013

a lovely positioned hotel with fantastic views however if you go on holidays to enjoy to a change in cuisine forget it.,During our fourteen day stay not once did we have a hot or even warm meal. At breakfast the bacon and eggs were served cold baked beans would appear to be served straight out of the tin and dinner in the evening was not much better.I am aware that complaints were made but thev did not seem to have the answer to the problem Sort your catering problem out baia crystal and you will have a lot going for you.The Hotel itself was was spotlessly clean and the staff polite and helpful. Look out for ants however we had a festation that got into our clothing A lot of small steps so watch you footing i observed two falls one quite serious.

Room Tip: high floor with sea views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank colin j
Dear Mr. Colin
Thanks for your comments.
We regret to hear that our food was not exactly what you expected, because it was not hot enough.
We have made ​​some improvements in order to solve this problem that you can verify on your next stay with us.