“Lovely Hotel!!”
Review of Hotel Baia Cristal

Hotel Baia Cristal
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Carvoeiro
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My partner and I have just returned home from the most amazing holiday in Carvoeiro. After reading the ''Never Again'' and ''Never Again 2'' reviews my partner and I thought to ourselves ''ohh my God... wot have we done'' but I can just say that the Hotel Baia Cristal was an amazing experience for us........ staff, food, views, and facilities all amazing!!!

First of all we went All Inclusive and would recommend this to anyone.

The rooms were a bit dated and pretty basic but anyone who wants a room to be a palace must just want to spend there holiday in the room (not much of a holiday)

Food was great especially lunch. Breakfast was ok with plenty of choice for everyones taste. Lunch was amazing!!! just sit at the bar or by the pool and pick from the great lunch menu I had fillet of steak and chips with fresh onion most days but my partner Ania had crab and prawn salad or lasagne etc etc it was a great choice each day. Dinner was also a pretty good choice especially on our final night we had duck with orange and we both loved it.

The swimming pools both indoor and outdoor were what you would expect from a hotel...... water in them!!..... there was a tennis court a games room and a gym that we also used and had no problems being all inclusive they were FREE :-)

The bar staff Paulo, Eduardo and Ricardo were brilliant and they are a credit to the Hotel always serving and talking many languages with a smile on there face..... in fact all staff were great except the young waiter in the restaurant he was ignorant to me having dinner one night when i asked him for the vinegar he just laughed and walked away from our table never to return with the vinegar.

Location of the Hotel was perfect as we went on this holiday for a week to relax and it was nice to have the choice of walking to the town either a 10 mins walk straight down the road or a 45 min walk by algar seco with some of the most amazing views u are ever likey to see. But having Centianes beach just a 2 minute walk away was amazing...... one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen.

This is the first time my partner and I have wanted to write a review on a hotel and its because its the first holiday we have been on that we have both wanted to return to the same place. So all in all this is a great hotel and pay no attention to the negativity in some reviews as a holiday is wot u make of it not other peoples opinions.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mark H
NelsonPascoal, Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Mark,
Thank you so much for your positive review. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your holidays at Carvoeiro and Hotel Baía Cristal.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you very soon!
Warm regards,

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We've just returned from a lovely week's holiday. Having read some reviews prior to going away, we were a little apprehensive, but our concerns were unfounded. The location of the hotel offers stunning views; the small town is accessible by a steady walk, although there are also some interesting cliff top walks and easily located beautiful beaches. We didn't feel the need to use the hotel courtesy bus as the walk was enjoyable both during the day and evening. The food at the hotel was always varied, well cooked and presented. We paid for an all inclusive package and the lunchtime food in the bar was of a high quality. The staff were courteous and friendly without being intrusive. Yes, some of the decor is tired, but that did not detract from a lovely holiday. We would return again, and we have holidayed in a variety of European hotels from modern 4 star to small boutique luxury, but please don't overlook this ageing beauty with traditional good standards. If you've booked, look forward to it and go with an open mind and enjoy!

Room Tip: Pay extra and ask for a room with sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 1983addie
NelsonPascoal, Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive review about Hotel Baía Cristal and Carvoeiro.
All of us, the management and staff, are very happy that you had a good experience with us.
Hope to welcome you again at Hotel Baía Cristal very soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I have just returned from the Baia Cristal hotel the suggestion this is a 4* hotel is a total misrepresentation my opinion. I would say it would be lucky at 3*. I am so happy to be home, I have just experienced the holiday from hell quite literally, I don't think anyone in their right mind would want to consider this hotel as a destination, over promised under delivered!!. Literally:
Breakfast - Fruit Juice lucid flavoured water. Toast takes 20mins!! Tea/Coffee cup chipped. Hot(none) food Grease.
Dinner - Don't go for 7 you are killed in the stampede!! The dining room is too small for the capacity of guests, the food!!! Go for 8 then you have a 20 minute wait for the chef to replenish the pass/server with food that I can only describe as disgusting and not even warm!! Hence you can imagine my husband and I have had food poisoning.
I arrived 20th and ended up on a drip on the 22nd, with my husband following on 23rd!! I was advise by the medical centre to be careful with what I ate...hahaha I couldn't eat another thing as the thought made it all the worse. When I regained my strength to challenge management, I was told that the hotel caters for an international community, that food is provide by outside catering?? If I wasn't happy I could reduce my board basis to breakfast only........how naughty, we never managed dinner for the whole week after this. He told me they cater for the majority of German and Polish clients. He commented that as British people he knows we expect and cooked breakfast of bacon eggs etc, but continental clients like variety. I was livid I told him that we as British clients had a diverse pallet and would try any decent food and objected to his derogatory comments, I was making a formal complaint about the dinner service even though I thought breakfast wasn't any better.
I survived on Melon, and bottled water!!
The room was spacious with a view over the Atlantic Ocean stunning, with frequent visits from the ants in a very dated bathroom that ran out of water one morning!! No tea or coffee facility in the room but they give us a kettle when asked. Thanks.
On the plus the lifts work and arrived at the push of a button no need to wait.
The pool area was congested with sun lounges in place umbrellas often broken, but with a lack of guests around the pool you could easily find a place to soak up the Portugal sunshine, with more sun lounges delivered on the morning we left.
I have been back to hospital this morning more test, but lets hope we will soon mend
What made us choose this hotel I have wondered OMG listen and think about you are reading

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view or a quiet room on upper floor
1  Thank LNH612
NelsonPascoal, Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Mrs Lesley Herron

Even if the reviews are not positive, we use to respond to all comments but for this specific review I have no desire to answer, but for a question of education and respect to the users of Tripadvisor I need to clarify the following:

Nobody in the Hotel told you that our food is provided from an outside Catering. All food is fresh and prepared in the hotel by excellent professionals. We are certificated by HACCP and we have regular inspections.

Seems a bit strange to know that from around the 250 people accommodated in the Hotel, taking daily breakfast and dinner, only you and your husband have been intoxicated with our food.

I have informed you that our kitchen could prepare special food for you and your husband but you never accepted it. Instead you “survived” with melon, yogurt and orange juice that does not seem to be the indicated food for those who suffered food poisoning ...A copy of the prescription from the doctor ordered to make my report has never been made available for you…

The language used by you, the lies about what you found in the hotel, and the subject of your conversation with me make me feel that the purpose of your description is typical of a professional complainer. We would also like to inform that it is a pleasure for us to welcome all the people who visit us and there is no prejudices from our side concerning nationalities of our guests.

Thank you!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel left me with very mixed feelings. Briefly;
- breakfast was ok, quite varied, but some days higher standard than others. We complained about the incredibly watery pure orange and it was improved. The toaster machine does not actually toast unless you are prepared to put bread through 3 times.
- maid's did a good job of cleaning rooms and were helpful.
- having to pay 28 euro for a safe for 2 weeks is ridiculous. It should be free.
- same goes for wifi.
- rooms tired, old fashioned and need refurbished. There was a locked cupboard in our room which had been the 'kitchen area'. That was strange.
- we reported an issue with our toilet and it was fixed promptly.
- some staff including Paolo, the gardener and the outside bar guy were friendly. Most reception staff did not smile, especially the dark haired middle aged woman. How much effort does it take?
- the pool area was ok, pool was not as clean as I would have liked and some blue mosaic tiles from the pool broken off and on ground.
- aside from breakfast we only had 1 other meal in this hotel. It was a vegetarian burger and chips. The vegetarian burger LITERALLY dripped fat and the chips appeared to have been only shown the fryer, not actually put in it. Disgusting.
- the location of this hotel to Centianes beach was a major plus.

This is not a 4 star hotel in my opinion, but I did not hate it. It is however unlikely that if I was in Carvoeiro I would stay there again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mila W
NelsonPascoal, General Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments and feedback on your recent stay.
Thank you again and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to host you again.
Warfm regards,

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We have just arrived home having had 1wk at this very poor hotel. 4* You must be joking. Staff not friendly at all, Breakfast a joke. COLD every day, fruit limited, staff in the restaurant non existent most mornings! Butter, cheese spread,put out only when asked if they could be bothered! The juice machine was turning out water I had to ask for flavour to be added. Same cake squares all wk. Catered for the German's taste for sure.
The hotel is certainly a long walk from the nearest shop, restaurant etc. Cobbled dip "paths" along the road make for a hazardous trek to town which is dark on the walk back and the beach being the same except with a lot of tiled steps. Room average, asked for balcony, put in a corner inside room with no view. States gym, spa etc, very poor equipment, basic to say the least, running machine broke, tiles and hand rail around indoor pool broke, loose etc.

Room Tip: Would not recommend!
2  Thank Jay C
NelsonPascoal, Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review even if we do not agree with most of your the comments.
At Hotel Baía Cristal we accept all people, of all nationalities and prejudices are out there.
We regret that you have not informed all these problems during your stay in hotel directly to us, prefering to use the internet to do it later.
Regards,

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We have just returned from a week at this hotel - never again. This in my opinion mite be a weak 3 star hotel if that. 3 mornings this week no cups at breakfast, when I spoke to the waiting on staff I was told "you will have to wait they are in the machine" ! We were offered a soup bowl ! food is cold, limited choice and tasteless ! As all inclusive we maybe had a piece of toast in the morning on 5 mornings, the rest of the time we ate out. If you want an all inclusive snack you get the choice of a hard dry roll with cheese and ham. Bedroom ok, nice double bed and pool view. Each day our wine glass and coffee cup left dirty in the room, not taken away by the maid. Quiet to say the least, never once seen animation staff, let alone here a happy holiday staff team. Local area good, some nice bars and restaurants to go to about 1 mile away a 20 minute walk or 5€ in a cab. Would I recommend this no I wouldn't. We are not a complaining couple and we get what all inclusive is - you won't get quality, choice or a smile at this hotel !

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments and feedback on your recent stay. Constructive feedback is invaluable to us and we appreciate that you took time out of your day to share your thoughts and experience. We will look into each of your concerns and address with each department head to ensure that items are resolved immediately. As we want to ensure that our guests stays are our number one priority.
Thank you again!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Cristal for a week in August 2013. The hotel is about a mile from the town centre. As frequent visitors to Carvoeiro we always hire a car, not just to make the journey to and from the town easier, but also to access the many excellent beaches along the whole Algarve. The Cristal is on top of a cliff and affords superb views. Parents with young children beware. Whilst the hotel is well fenced off from scrubland before the cliff edge there was an unlocked gate giving access to potentially dangerous areas. The main pool is an adequate size and adjoins a shallower pool. There is also a small pool for young children plus an indoor heated pool. Our sea facing room was of a reasonable size and included a small seating area. We had a small fridge and were given a kettle on request. The bathroom had been partly refurbished with new tiling but the bath etc showed signs of age with some rusting. Also, we've never before come across a shower curtain in a 4 star hotel. Bathroom towels are little more than hand towels. The room was clean enough but the maid spent only a rushed few minutes cleaning each day. One day we were missed altogether. Parking in the hotel grounds is inadequate with far too few spaces for this time of year. There is rough ground across the road from the hotel where many cars were parked but security is unknown. This hotel is not suitable for people with severe mobility problems as we think it would be impossible to move around the pool areas in a wheelchair. We only ate breakfast in the hotel. The air conditioning in the restaurant in the morning is inadequate. Breakfast is a combination of hot and cold food which was adequate but varied very little from day to day. All in all, we probably would go back mainly because we like Carvoeiro which is an excellent town for a family holiday

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bob G
NelsonPascoal, Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review. We are happy to know that in general you enjoyed your holiday at Hotel Baía Cristal.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. We will take your comments into consideration

Looking forward to welcome you back at the

Kind regards