All reviews sea view minute walk the cliff stayed bed and breakfast indoor pool rooms were cleaned every day courtesy bus centianes beach the ground floor cleaned daily turkish bath rooms were very clean the hotel offers wi fi games room mobility problems every evening
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent 1 night here after touring the Algarve before driving back to Lisbon. It was so horrible that it turned our great holiday into a bad one.

First off, this hotel is very hard to find. We drove from Lagos and had a hard time getting to Carvoerio and finding the exact location of the hotel. The roads are not well marked. There are few signs for the hotel as well. We kept getting lost and were agitated. Once we checked in, the receptionist was a bit rude. He could tell we were frustrated, and recommended we try to get out of there ASAP. He also kept telling up that it wasn't important we know where breakfast was or any of facilities since we had such a short stay. It was rude.

Our room itself was large, but like the rest of the hotel was very outdated. There was chipped tile on the floor. Old linens and garish and ugly colored wall paper. We were supposed to have an ocean view, but it was obstructed by the boxy construction of the hotel. There were also lots of rust stains in the bathroom near the tub and sink. It just seemed very old and unkempt. The bed was large, but hard and crunchy. Like there was a plastic cover on the mattress. It made noised anytime you moved in the bed. There was also a tiny TV, but it was hard to see from the bed or couch in the room.

The hotel itself is very odd. The walls are bright and painted electric orange and paired with lots of touches from the 70s. Circular chairs, fake plants, etc. But there are also large Greek Goddess statues by the pool. It’s gaudy.

I thought the breakfast was also quite bad. The Algarve is known for its oranges. They had orange juice from a powder. They had instant eggs. It was all canned or from a powder. Nothing was fresh. There were also tons of kids racing around the restaurant. It is not a good hotel for couples.

The beaches nearby looked very pretty, however we were so uncomfortable, we just left before checking them out. I’d recommend staying elsewhere or just going to Lagos instead.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere....
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kbadler
NelsonPascoal, Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

We regret to hear your disappointment with your stay at Hotel Baía Cristal.
Our staff are trained and instructed to be fair and courteous to all guests and we regret if a member of our staff has not followed this rule.
Nelson Pascoal

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I spent a fortnight at the Baia Crystal with 17 other single travellers from Sept.6th. 2012. If you want a Faulty Towers experience this is the hotel for you. The staff from the manageress to the bar staff were insolent. The hotel is dated and constructed of egg boxes. You can hear every sound from adjacent rooms and those above. The food is mediocre and certainly not worthy of anywhere near 4* rating. The hotel is 1.5 kls from the rather run down town of Carvoiero via several hills on a difficult walking surface Adjacent beaches are small and crowded and have difficult access. The coffee at breakfast was good along with the orange juice after which I struggle to say anything positve.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Alan P
PatriciaCorreia, General Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear Guest:

This review does not correspond to the truth.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Myself and a friend went with Travel One and had booked and paid for two single rooms. We arrived just before 3pm on 6 th September, 2012 for a two week holiday. On checking in at reception we were told by the receptionist that we had been allocated a suite with two bedrooms and two bathrooms as we were friends. We said Ok, as photos of suites we had seen on their website prior to booking the holiday looked very nice. Unfortunately the suite we where taken to was terrible and nothing like the brochure or website. We refused to accept this room and where told that they had no other rooms as they were full which we could not understand as our booking had been confirmed in May2012. We were told to wait in the bar and after about an hour the receptionist came with two sets of keys and gave one to my friend and one to me. We went to the room allocated to me first. Again it was not suitable as it had a very small 'single' bed in it, which was not suitable for an adult. I again refused it and we went to see the room allocated to my friend. This was a large suite with bedroom and TV a large lounge with TV, cooking facilities, dining table, sofa and a large balcony with a beautiful view. My friend accepted this room but I of course refused to accept the one I had been shown as we had paid the same money and therefore should have had similar rooms. I was shown another room but by this stage I was very tired and frustrated and said I would wait to see the Travel One representative It was now after 5pm and I had to go to my friends room to shower.The Travel One representative phoned me and after I explained the situation she told me there where no other rooms and asked me to go back and look at the rooms I had been shown. I reluctantly agreed and went again to reception. There was a different 'lady' there who launched a verbal attack on me and told me that this was Portugal and I just couldn't demand a particular room. I told her I wasn't demanding anything except a proper bed to sleep in. She continued to be rude and I had to walk away from her as this was in front of other guests. Although she did not introduce herself I believe this person to be the hotel manager, who up until I left did not have the courtesy to apologise to me for her rudeness. She had no people skills, no manners and to speak to a guest in that manner is totally unacceptable. She would do well to remember it is paying guests who keep her in a job. This is just part of our experience in this hotel, quite a few people paid for sea view rooms and didn't get them. I could go on. Due to this experience I will never be back to Portugal and absolutely would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Valerie B

Dear Guest:

Fortunatly, this review does not correspond entirely to the truth. Yes, there has been problems on check-in, as you can remember, not the responsability of the Hotel, has there was three rooms given to you and you could not choose one.
Never then less, I sorry we could not meet your expectations.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

My stay at Baia Crystal was wonderful. It was my first time, it was recommended by friends and we just loved it!
Great staff, the room was big and cleaned, just a little bit outdated (drapery), but fine for a 2 of weeks.
The Restaurant had a great buffet, at breakfast! We also had dinner twice, and it was very good. Experimented the theme nights, Portuguese and also Italian!
The Bar was very good, live music almost everyday. The only thing I can say, to improve the service is to have better parasols.
The View was truly fantastic!

Room Tip: Choose seaview rooms!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr. John:

Thank you very much for your nice review!
Its good to see our work aprecciated. We will be glad to welcome you on a next vaction!

Best regards

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The best bit was the outside pool and the lovely setting,My room was nice I was given a ground floor room which was a suite and was huge ,it was clean and I had fresh towels everyday, I did request a plug as there wasn't one for the bath or washbasin but it never materialised, there was a notice asking you not to take baths so I guess this was one way to ensure you didn't !! The food was disappointing but I always found something for my dinner and the puddings were really nice, the coooked breakfast didn't look very tempting but I am happy with toast so again it didn't bother me,The biggest draw back was how far it was to walk to the town or beach up and down hills and all the paths are cobbles,so very tiring, the free shuttle bus only goes out three times a day at odd times and not at all at weekends so never managed to use it.All in all it was ok probably would'nt go back mainly because of the long walks

Room Tip: My room was 267 ground floor suite,facing drive but very quiet at the back it had patio doors with a grass area a sunbed ,patio table and chairs
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much ntaking the time to write us this review, and I apologise about the plug.