“Great food and service.. we went back!”
Review of rocha mar

rocha mar
Ranked #90 of 148 Restaurants in Carvoeiro
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Opposite Rocha Brava Apartments
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Great food and service.. we went back!”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We have just come back from a wonderful week away with the whole family (my parents, husband, sister and brother-in-law, and their 2 children) to the Algarve area of Portugal, from 4-11 May 2012. We were staying in a privately owned villa in the village of Carvoeiro, near the Milho Vale golf course. During our visit, we ate at the Rocha Mar restaurant twice.

I just wanted to leave a positive review of this restaurant, because both times we had a really good experience.
We came with a group of 8, of which 2 young children aged 2 and 4, and hadn't booked. The owner was really friendly and immediately made a table available for us. He recommended sitting inside because, although it was fine weather at the time, it would get colder and windy later (and he was right because everyone else came in not too long after!). All the staff was friendly and helpful and they were great with the kids. There is a ramp up to the restaurant (as it's on a hill) which is handy for pushchairs. They also had high chairs and a kids' menu. We asked for a soup for one of the children which is a starter but it came with the bread we were having so that my niece wouldn't get grumpy... ;-)

The kids' menu had burger or nuggets, both with chips (fries). There could have been more, I suppose, and they could not do a kids' size pizza, which was a shame, as an adult one was way too big. For the adults there was plenty of choice on the menu, plus a few 'specials'. On the first day it was a dish with clams and pork from a nearby region, which my husband tried and liked. Another had 'black pork' from the menu; don't worry, it is not black meat but free range pork from a local farmer/butcher that you cook yourself on a hot stone, which comes to your table sizzling away and that dish included 2 sides (fries, veg) and 3 dips/sauces. The meat was very tender and a good price, only EUR11 I think. In fact we were all so impressed by the quality of that meat that 5 of us had either the pork, or fillet steak (about EUR13), on a stone, the next time (I'm surprised they even have that many stones!). The only slight negative is that my stone cooled off too quickly for me to fry my meat, but that was rectified straight away with - yet - another hot stone. There were some frozen desserts on the menu which were nice, so I'm told, but the highlight for me was the home-made tiramisu, of which I got a more than generous portion (a meal in itself) and which was absolutely gorgeous. There was also home-made chocolate mousse, a kind of flan, and cheesecake with fresh berries. The second time they had an orange cheesecake.I had the tiramisu again the next time. The second time we did sit outside, because the weather was nicer, and we sat out of the wind. Although they were busier, with a big group of 22 ladies inside to cater for, they were just as friendly and efficient as before. We felt we were leaving old friends by the end of it.
I hope others will read this review and give this place a chance. I am glad I didn't see the negative reviews of this place before we went, or we might not have gone. I hope the experience others have had were few and far between, or maybe the restaurant has changed hands since. If you have any questions about this place or the area, let me know.
Anousjka

• Visited May 2012

• Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
“Intimidating and hostile and that was just the staff”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We waited over 20 mins for a table and when seated were then ignored for another 30 minutes however being on holiday the need for speed is not top of your list. It was however obvious that other diners were experiencing similar waiting times. When we ordered we kept it simple in the hope that this would prompt the quicker delivery of our food. I ordered spaghetti bolognaise and specifically asked if it contained cheese. I was told absolutely not and that it I did wish cheese it would be provided as Parmesan at the end. Happy Days I thought and explained to the waiter that I had an allergy to cheese and was again reassured that it was cheese free.
Some 45 minutes later and 2 power cuts ( should have been our opportunity to run!) our food came and I cannot over emphasise the very strong smell of cheese wafted from my plate of what I can only describe as dog food on pasta.
I asked my husband to taste if for me and apart from the very strong taste of cheese, it was obviously out of a tin. We politely spoke to the waiter who angrily denied there was any cheese. I was unable to eat anything. My husband went to use the WC after the meal and was approached by two members of staff who aggressively challenged our complaint. My husband politely refused to pay for the spag bol and at this point was told aggressively that we were not to ever return to the restaurant. as they did not wish people like us back.
Meanwhile several other diners were complaining about service and I witnessed two tables sending food back to the kitchen.
In summary.. please save your money and go to other excellent restaurants which are very close by ; Julios, Raffaelles and El Forno provide great food without the intimidation

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank girvangirl
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
“Never again!!”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

If you do go to this restaurant and you choose the Lasagne be warned, mine was absolutely disgusting and i'm not sure there was any meat in it whatsoever. We also waited forever for our meal to arrive.

2 Thank carolbarnes100
HERTS
“Not the Best”
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Don't go there, the food was terrible after waiting an hour for it.

2 Thank goldbird