“Quiet, relaxing break.”

Vale da Lapa Resort & SPA
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Carvoeiro
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My friend and I stopped here in September, on arrival we were upgraded to a private villa with its own pool,we were extremely happy.The villa was very spacious,private and quiet, the beds very uncomfortable,one problem was as we were all inclusive it was a fair walk to the restaurant, pool etc,so bringing drinks back to the villa was mainly in cans.
The pool area never seemed busy although we never stayed around the pool area it was always very quiet and pool very cold.Spa facilities were not that good so we did not bother using them.
We could not fault the food cooked to order every night but excellent every time (3 course meal) the only problem we found it got very repetitive as the menu never changed.There was only one evening of entertainment which was not that good so if you are looking for a bit of life DON'T stop here.
One morning it was cloudy we decided we would go out for the day but we could not open the safe to get our money out, so when we went for breakfast.we spoke to reception, they said they would send the maintenance man down, but still at lunchtime still no maintenance man,so we mentioned again,by 5pm still no man so I called reception and was very cross as we had wasted a day, within 10 minutes the man arrived ,changed battery in the safe and got our money,by this time unfortunately too late to go out.Not much to do close by ,walked to nearest beach 35 mins,ok walking there as all downhill but walking back absolute nightmare and I consider myself fairly fit, so get a taxi!
If you want a really quiet, relaxing break then this is the right place to stop.We had a few niggles but as we were upgraded we could not complain that much.
Ask at reception when stopping all inclusive as there are certain times for certain things so ask for a list that itemises everything.
All in all we had a lovely time,don't know how I would have felt if had to use the main pool though.
Wifi only at main reception and very poor.Local drinks ok, house rose very nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MERC08
There are newer reviews for Vale da Lapa Resort & SPA

Reviewed November 28, 2013

5 Star Hotel?? I don't think so. Cracked toilet seat, grimy bathroom and shower cubicle and a wired internet connection. That's right, wired! This means that if you want to get a wireless connection you have to sit in the reception.

See this description on the Lastminute.com website - "This 5-star hotel is within close proximity of Carneiros Beach and Ferragudo Beach."? It's not really true, not unless you consider a 45 minute walk, or a bus journey, to be "close proximity".

One night we ate at the restaurant, obviously we expected it to be added to the bill - especially when you have told the waiter your room number and seen him 3 days running at breakfast. But oh no, when we got up to leave he chased after us, literally chased us for payment. Like we were stealing or something. How embarrassing. It was also a total rip-off compared to the bars and restaurants "nearby" - but then you can charge those prices when you are miles away from anywhere.

The tv is rubbish - there are only a few channels that can actually be watched.

There are a few nights a week when they have a singer in the bar - it goes on until late, very late and it will keep you awake.

On the positive side the staff that actually run the hotel are very nice and friendly - but I won't be going back. Ever.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Ryan T
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days in Nov 2013, a lovely very friendly resort. I will Start with the positives, great location,staff, food, rooms. Only negatives are the towels are to thin the bed was so uncomfortable as too hard and the pillows must have gone through the washing machine several times.

Al a carte menu was very good, but apparently it's a buffet during high season hence the mixed review on the food.

Would highly recommend a stay here out of season but can imagine it can get over crowded in high season.

If you don't have a car you can hire electric bikes from the hotel.

Not somewhere I would take children of any age as nothing to do but nice for couples of any age.

Add to trip
Estrada das Sesmarias, Carvoeiro 8400-535, Portugal

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My partner and I spent a week at Vale de Lapa and were blown away by the sheer size of the apartment. We'd paid for a deluxe suite and were amazed to discover it was absolutely massive! Huge sitting and dining area, great kitchen with top of the range Bosch appliances, downstairs toilet...then our bedroom, with kingsize bed, ensuite bathroom with shower, bath and bidet, plus second bedroom, with twin beds, ensuite with shower.
The apartment was cleaned every day, although when when we arrived on day one, the cleaners were still in...and it was after 4pm!!! Luckily we didn't mind, but if you had kids or elderly grandparents to worry about, you might not be so pleased!
It's a good half hour walk to the village/beach, but we didn't mind too much.
The only let down was the spa, which we'd been looking forward to using.
The first attempt to use it was around 6pm on a Monday night. Door was locked and the place was in darkness. Asked at reception and the friendly receptionist looked bemused and came down and opened the door while revealing she didn't know where the lights were! In we went, and were fairly disappointed to find the steam room switched off and the pool in darkness! Swam in the dark and sat in the bubbling jacuzzi then left. Nobody else around so you're on your own if you drown!
The other time we wanted to go was when it was raining. We'd received a letter through the door earlier in the day saying the spa was closed due to painting and maintenance but he toddled down for a look as the pool and jacuzzi were supposedly still open. On arrival, two women glared at us, shaking their heads! One woman in particular hawked that the spa was closed, no you can't come in, no no no... I felt ridiculed!! I then asked if the pool was open, as the letter had stated and she reluctantly pointed to an opening in the sliding outside doors and said "that way". Very nice!! How rude! I'd fancied some gym action but the women indicated this was not possible, even though the gym wasn't involved in the cleaning process. Strange.
All in all, the apartment was lovely and the reception staff were very pleasant. Shame about the spa experience and the particularly rude woman!!
Also, if you want to hire a car, be VERY careful indeed. There are so many scams going on in the Algarve and we were victims of a break in. Really ruined the holiday.

Room Tip: Go for deluxe suite
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cat b
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Very nice room, with lots of space, with a beatiful view to the river. The Hotel is a bit far from the center of the city and from the beach. A car is needed. Nice jacuzzi, haman and sauna but the indoor pool is smalland shallow (you have to use a bathing cap), only good for the children. Nice breakfast. The staff is friendly and hellpfull. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks stay here booked through on the beach everything on travelling went brilliantly , we arrived at the hotel receptionist very polite and welcoming , we were in room 1 right by the pool and reception perfect as travelling with two children , on entering we were wowed very nice villas high quality appliances by Bosch . We ate in the restaurant on the 1 st night a mains can set you back up to 19€ our total bill without desert came to 60€ which seemed quite a lot but it was nice , the second day we ventured to the beach about a 35 minute walk not to bad just uphill back so be prepared in the evenings when we went out for dinner we used a taxi which was up to €7 , beach beautiful quiet but perfect, anyway next day we went on the pirate ship which took us in the caves brilliant you must do this it's €30 an adult but well worth it, now this is where our holiday went a tad sour , we decided to have a day by the pool , being abit windy and the outdoor swimming pool being very cold we decided to use the indoor pool well what we thought was the indoor it's a pool with a glass roof that becomes open by sliding doors it has a jacuzzi and links to the gym and spa , now we didn't realise that this was part of the spa , my kids 5 and 1 were happy in and out the pool having a whale of a time suddenly this man walks in in cream chinos checkered shirt in Portuguese arguing with an employee and pointing at my daughter we didn't know what this was about then later in the afternoon this employee comes up to Another lady in the pool tells her she has to wear a swim hat in the jacuzzi then comes ova to me and my children in the pool and tells me we all have to wear a swim hat I say yes that's fine we're are they she replys €4 at reception , what each? Are they joking! So me and my kids are carted out of the pool and banished to the cold pool outside I tried putting a tight €4 swim hat on my kids and the screaming I received from them was ridiculous a baby should not even be in a pool under 35 degrees so I don't know what a. Earth there playing at they should not be advertising an indoor pool if it's not the case , not only that there moaning about swim hats but the green moss and dead skin cells round the jacuzzi needs more attention my 1 year old could remove the grids and expose the filth so what's the cleaners excuse! So my conclusion this is not a family friendly hotel and certainly not a spa it wasn't even manned the whole time I was there we had to ask to put the sauna and steam room lights on talk about Heath and safety . And also don't look under the beds on the last day I stripped them they don't move furniture the dust underneath and behind and unforgivable . Really nice villas but cleaning not good disappointing holiday

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Samantha S
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The staff were extremely nice! They were very helpful too. I stayed with my friend, it was last minute so we decided to get all inclusive which was amazing because you could have as much as you wanted! The snacks on the bar during the day were also included too! They had a good choice of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages. It was a bit far away from everything else but the staff can book reliable taxis to take you to your destination of choice. Our suite was amazing as it was deluxe- pretty much lived in our own house with an amazing kitchen, which was very clean and had a brilliant view. The overall cleanliness of the resort was on point :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Judith J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carvoeiro
Vale d'Oliveiras Quinta Resort & Spa
Hilton Vilamoura As Cascatas Golf Resort & Spa
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
#2 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to Vale da Lapa Resort & SPA? Share your experiences!