“Brilliant holiday - the resort was great”
Review of Monte Santo Resort

Monte Santo Resort
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Carvoeiro
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I traveled with my wife and 2 kids (5yrs and 15 months). We stayed in a 2 bedroomed villa. The villas were perfect and having them cleaned every day was a great bonus. My daughter lvoed the pool beside the villa and had a great time playing with other children.

The town is perfect for families and we ate there most nights. A 10 minute walk (15 with kids) to the town and then a 5 Euro taxi home after. The music in the town square was great fun.

We opted not to have breakfast and instead ate in the villa. That was based on what we had read on tripadvisor. However i believe that if you got there early enough it was great.

I woudl recommend this resort it is very relazing and the town has great restaurants (Villa medici being a favorite). The service is definitly not 5 star but the villas were. We ddint use the resort much so that didnt have any impact on the holiday.

As a side note the Kids club is non existent from what we saw. But our Daughter didnt miss it as there were plenty of other kids to pay around with

1  Thank Morgan b
AnalitaSantos, Manager at Monte Santo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

It was a pleasure to read your great comments about our the quality of our resort and our accommodation in particularly. Thank you for your kind words.

Notwithstanding this, I was personally disappointed when reading your comments with respect to the level of service you experienced and I can assure you I have addressed this internally.

Regarding the Kids Club, it is fully operational and a complementary service, although we indeed request a 24hrs advance notice. In this way we can control the number of children per individual supervisor and so guarantee the safety of our younger guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Algarve in the near future. Please let me know when you decide to visit us again.

walter.martins@imocom-grupo.com

Reviewed August 17, 2011

We stayed in the Monte Santo for one week with our 2 children (8 & 4), and we will not be going back.

The service was very poor and most requests seemed to trouble the staff. We read the Big Bumper Book of Rules with interest and decided to rent out some DVDs for the kids one evening. We were told that they no longer carried this service. We also wanted to use the kids club once but we were told we had to book this, and we were left with the impression that the staff didn't really want to be bothered with such things. Overall, the staff did not give off the "happy to help you" vibe.

As in most hotels, the sun loungers were "booked" from early on, in spite of this being strictly forbidden in the Big Bumper Book of Rules. When I got one of our towels wet and wanted to exchange it, the staff member was not happy and pointed out in a cross tone that they only got 1 delivery of towels per day, and that I should be more careful.

The restaurant was understaffed, and therefore very slow. The prices were high and gave poor value for money. We did not eat in the hotel if we could avoid it.

One positive was the pool. It was very suitable for all ages and very enjoyable.

2  Thank DOB_Dublin
Imocom, Manager at Monte Santo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

Dear TripAdvisor Member

Many Thanks for writing a review for us.

Staff are one of our main assets at Monte Santo Resort, as proven in quite a large number of reviews commenting on their professionalism, helpfulness and service minded attitude. Therefore I must admit that your comments took us by surprise. Nevertheless, they are very much appreciated and a welcome reminder and I will certainly investigate internally further what could have occurred during your stay in order to take the appropriate measures and/or corrective actions to avoid similar.

Regarding the loungers, we actively inform Guests about this restriction. I am sure you will understand that we are trying to balance an approach of advising clients on regulations, without that it turns in to policing them and affecting their holiday enjoyment……. We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused and we will be even more vigilant to avoid similar.

I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay but do hope you give us the opportunity to change your mind one day in the future so you can witness that our service is indeed very much 5-star.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

Completely agree with family from Warwick , although accommadation is of a high standard it should be for the price.Although individual staff were pleasant and obliging there was little or no direction or structurefrom managers or supervisors, several staff expressed frustration with lack of support. The service was non existent. Breakfast was total chaos, it is not sufficient to say guests all turn up in the last hour , it is supposed to be a 5star resort it recieves a premium price to be able to cope with any kind of demand or request. I witnessed numerous complaints at breakfast , at the bar , at TV lounge , at kids club even 2 at the reception desk.It made Fawlty Towers look like 6star hotel in Dubai.

3  Thank Family_Cheshire526
Imocom, Manager at Monte Santo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

I was very concerned to read your review and I apologize that you were unhappy with your stay.

As you can see from a large majority of previous reviews it's very unusual for us to receive such feedback, especially regarding our team and levels of service provided. I take your comments very seriously and have addressed them internally immediately with the team in order to avoid repetition. Moreover, I am personally present during these shifts to ascertain that expected service levels are met. However, I am sure you will understand that the physical restraints on a building might interfere in season of extreme high demand on certain logistics. In overcoming this, we have created various other outlets to meet the great influx in case guests decide to come relatively all at the same time. Indeed, guests are on holidays but I feel that aforementioned comments place all in a reasonable perspective. In overcoming, this we have considered working with various seatings which we feel also does not do justice to our generally, much appreciated levels of quality and service. We will however do a better job in limiting the number of reservations sold on a breakfast basis in order to avoid similar.

Please contact me if you decide to stay with us again, so I can make sure we will make up for the disappointing experience you had.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

When we arrived we had an efficient check-in by a very pleasant receptionist - she advised us to be early to breakfast - and she was not wrong! Our first impression of the three bed house was fantastic. It looked beautifully laid out, chic, spacious, four bathrooms, balcony etc. However, we had ants (and not just one or two - there were literally hundreds ) in the kitchen cupboards. Despite speaking to reception, we ended up rectifying the problem ourselves with a quick visit to the supermarket for ant spray! Later on we discovered the DVD player didn't work at all, neither did the microwave, and when the oven door was opened the oven came away from its housing, and the front fell off the cutlery drawer each time it was opened!
The complex looked very nice with well tended gardens and pool. There was a 'hefty' rule book in the apartment which stated that no clothes were to be dried outside, no inflatables in the pool, no diving etc etc etc. The rule book was lengthy but it clearly didn't matter as the rules were generally ignored! This is where it went downhill. The sunbeds were 'bagged' early on with people placing towels and then not appearing for ages. (against the 'rules') There were loads of kids in the pools with inflatables, water guns, footballs, diving, jumping etc etc (against the 'rules') Towels and clothes were draped around the balconies (against the 'rules' .... you get the gist) Now, we have kids but it seems that some parents are happy to ignore their little treasures as long as they are able to sunbathe in peace, consequently there were rather a lot of unruly kids which made sitting poolside a bit 'traumatic'. The indoor pool was quieter and very nice, as was the turkish bath (aka steam room) and sauna.
I think if you were going to the resort completely self catering it would paint a different picture, as the catering is appalling. Breakfast was just mayhem. The service was non-existant and you had to just find a table yourself, then try to chase round a member of staff to clear it away. As a result the poor people already eating were always being closely watched by those waiting for a table. Don't get me wrong- we were not late to breakfast each day, this was around 9.15 onwards. The staff really tried their best but could just not catch up with demand. They spent their time constantly trying to re-fill everything (and failing) We only managed to get coffee for three nornings out of seven. The food was 'canteen quality' and certainly no more than a 3* experience at best. (and that's being generous) Every single day out of 7 we had either chipped/dirty crockery. They ignored people smoking at breakfast, albeit technically in an 'outside' area although it was under cover and right next to the indoor restaurant where the doors were wide open which made the atmosphere very unpleasant. A polite request to move further away from the restaurant would have been welcome.
We went to have cocktails one evening in the bar but unfortunately chose a night when football was being shown in the lounge and had to drag the waiter away from the football to take our order. We then waited 50 mins for the drinks and only got two out of 5! One of the 'cocktails' was no more than a glass full of crushed ice with a dash of lime cordial at the bottom - and I'm not joking!
It appeared that there are far too few staff for the demand. The staff at breakfast work exceptionally hard but cannot cope. The bar staff are totally inept and disinterested. It is VERY overpriced for the quality of the place and most definitely not deserving of a five *. It seemed as if anyone could walk in off the street and use the pool facilities and have breakfast for free. There was no checking if you were resident and had actually paid for a breakfast. Although towels were privided for poolside, there were plently of people with their own towels and, I expect, non-paying guests.
On the plus side, Carvoeiro is really lovely and there are plently of nice restaurants and beach within a 20 min walk. I would certainly recommend the area but not the hotel unless there is a significant improvement in both qualtiy and service. 'Over-promised and under-delivered' would sum it up for us. The website looks great, but the reality is very different. Had we expected (and paid for) 3* then we would have been satisfied but the Monte Santo is extremely overpriced for a very average hotel

9  Thank thefamilyR

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and express your concerns.

I was personally disappointed to read your comments regarding the level of service you experienced and can assure you I have addressed the issues you raised in your review.

We treat guest comments very seriously and take decisive action to correct any shortcomings. It is only through feedback like yours that we can monitor our levels and standards of service.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues with you and would appreciate it if you would contact me directly so that I can take the necessary measures to ensure that all our guests continue to get the quality that normally allows us to stand out with the service and quality so well appreciated.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

We booked a two bedroom townhouse for our family (couple and two teenagers).
Check in was easy and very professional.
Lovely house, well decorated, full equipped kitchen, tv in the bedrooms, very quiet, very comfortable. Free Internet (cable) in the house and wifi at the bar area. Cleaning service worked ok.
A suggestion, at high season the main pool needs to be clean more effectively (this is a family resort with a lot of families with young children, many of the families with more than two young children).

1  Thank PortoLiberty
Imocom, Public Relations Manager at Monte Santo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Monte Santo Resort and for your fantastic feedback!

Certainly the impression we’d like to leave all our guests with! Thank you for your kind review.

Regarding your remark with respect to main pool cleanliness, we will take your remark on board and improve cleaning.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Monte Santo Resort shortly!

Reviewed August 12, 2011

Just back from a week here and will definitely return. Booked a package deal for a 1 bed apartment and got a free upgrade to a 2 bed townhouse on arrival. It was better than gorgeous with everything you could need or want all there waiting. It made our stay with young child and baby so great we wanted to stay longer. Lovely small pool beside garden terrace of house and great pools up at clubhouse if you wanted a busier atmosphere. Bit of a walk to the town for some but enjoyable to do in the early morning or late evenings when it's slightly cooler. The scenic route to the town is stunning along the cliffs with a more gradual incline down and up the hill. Don't let trek from the town put you off staying here, taxis are no more than €5 if you are not up for a stroll. The town is perfect too. Busy but not in your face like other popular resorts in the Algarve.

• Stayed: August 2011

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

We have passed your comments to all the team, you made us feel very proud of the service we provide, thank you once again for the wonderful comments.

We hope you will return to visit us and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 8, 2011

1. Accomodation was faultless. Outstanding 3 bedroomed/ 4 bathroomed duplex. Best equipped kitchen we've ever stayed in.
2. Cleaning was daily and again without fault.
3. Breakfast was pretty good with all 5 of us finding lots of things we liked. BUT get there before 9:15 because, as usual, if you tell people breakfast is 8am to 10:30am then they all turn up in the last hour and then pull their faces when there aren't enough tables!
4. The pool was outstanding. With it being freshwater there was little or no stinking/stinging chlorine to upset the kids. Several times we had the pool to ourselves. Whatever time of day we got there, there were always spare beds and shades even enough for us to always easily find the 5 we needed.
5. Ditto the indoor pool, sauna and steam room. Faultless.
6. Didn't use the gym so can't comment on that, but it looked deserted most days but all the equipment looked brand new..
7. We chose not to dine at the restaurant in the evening (mainly due to modest selection available) but instead went in to town or walked to the couple of places nearby (the 'crazy chicken' restaurant was particularly friendly with very very good food!)
8. I agree with the reviewer who felt a bit left out at the 'family' nature of it all. It's absolutely perfect for families (my kids are 16, 14 & 5) but I don't think I would've enjoyed it as much if it was just me and my missus because that's a different type of holiday and plush as it is, The Monte Santo is definitely more suited to families. (having said that, the reviewer who called it a "posh Pontins" is totally wide of the mark - it's a top-drawer family holiday venue: simple as that)
9. I've never been big on kids clubs ("let's spend time together as a family on holiday but then dump the kids with complete strangers" seems perverse to me!) but anyway, the kids club here was deserted, I mean utterly deserted. I saw a Portuguese family leave 2 kids there for an hour or two and that was it!
10. Finally, a reviewer or two have mentioned the service. I thought it was great. Very helpful reception staff offered to unload my car when we arrived at 11am (and hence didn't expect our room ready anyway) so we could go and explore the area in comfort. They answered every question I had in perfect English, ordered taxis, gave weather reports, completed check-in and check-out in seconds etc. I don't know what more people expect honestly! Ok, the bar staff were a little slow with drinks in the mid-afternoon heat but only because they were busy - again only to be expected.

10 out ot 10. We're already planning to return next year!

3  Thank MLR18
Imocom, Public Relations Manager at Monte Santo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

Dear Trip Advisor Member

We would like to start off by thanking you for selecting Monte Santo Resort for your Algarve holiday and for the time you have kindly taken to share your opinion on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to see that our resort’s comfort and quality and our services met with your expectations.

It is enormously gratifying to witness that our daily dedication is being appreciated and met with the satisfaction of our guests.

Once again we thank you for your valuable and motivating feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Monte Santo Resort shortly!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carvoeiro
Vale d'Oliveiras Quinta Resort & Spa
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
#2 of 154 in Albufeira
Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa

Been to Monte Santo Resort? Share your experiences!