“Great Hotel :)”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Carvoeiro
North Yorkshire
“Great Hotel :)”
Reviewed July 28, 2008

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here for a week, and it lived up to expectations. I went expecting a low four star hotel, but was certainly suprised and pleased! The rooms were nice and spacious, and the food was great.

Beware the cleaning staff, if you fancy a lie in they will knock on the door constantly until you answer....ask if your room needs cleaning...... if you say no you can hear them moaning all the way along the corridor!

Otherwise the hotel was fantastic, and the local area was great!

• Liked — The Food was good
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank pineapple600

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
Poland
Reviewed July 27, 2008

extremely small rooms and baths, old furniture and bathroom facilities, very poor choice and quality of food, horrible coffee and juice, no children facilities, no fitness, relatively good location however not close to the beach

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms and food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
wales
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I recently stayed in this hotel with my girlfriend and we were on a half board basis. When we arrived at the hotel we were both pleasantly suprised at the outside frontage of the hotel and also the grand reception area. Everything seemed quite luxurious and lived up to its 4 star billing until... we actually got into the rooms and spent the week there.

First before you go I warn you that to use the safety deposit box which is in your room it will cost you 20 euros, and also a 20 euro deposit. So thats 40 euros upfront, with the option of the 20 euros back at the end of the stay. This was a little too expensive for us and also a little unreasonable and also they made no comment about this when we arrived. The area is safe and so is the hotel but be aware.

Secondly the restaurant. Where do I start. Our first visit was in the evening. As we entered we both unsure of how it all worked. We are both quite young and it was also our first holiday together. We were unsure whether we needed to be seated by the staff or we find a table. To our left were a lovely elderly couple who told us to just go and find a table. The waiter who did not once smile throughout the whole week seemed to turn his nose up at this and subsequently was quite rude all of the holiday. He greeted many guest with an hello and also a few words but to us nothing. 'Anything to drink' and then he waddled off and then poured our water violently into the glasses. Now im not really that bothered by fussy waiters but this one really did annoy me, especially as it put us off eating there.. oh and the food, that helped aswell.

The food was not great. There is variety at breakfast and also in the nights. But it was never hot and it didnt taste great either. Also we had booked a trip out for the day and needed to be outside the hotel at 8.30 and breakfast opened at 8. The restaurant opened at 8.15 causing a large queue, and then when it was opened they had no scrambled egg. So not only did they have an extra 15 minutes they didnt do anything with it. Many guests were noticeably aggrieved.

The cleaning is very good on the whole, but I got fed up guessing whether they were coming at 9 or 4. We on 2 occasions got interrupted at both times. Far too early and Far too late. That can be a problem if you've got kids and you need to get everything done in the morning. Also the corridors [crazy decor might i add] were often dirty. Dust and Stains but that is a fussy comment because it does not spoil a holiday.

On a positive note, the pool is a delight. Spacious and plenty of places to be in the shade. The bar was understaffed sometimes and there too was a grumpy barman. But hey mustnt grumble.

So overall do visit Carvoeiro and this hotel, just be mindful of the safety box, and if you look past poor guest service then you will enjoy it here.

One final note, if you have prams or wheelchairs, the pavements arent designed for them. Cobbly and disjointed make it hard to even walk on them. It is quite a steep hill too. All in all enjoy your stay.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Armagh
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Mirachoro Praia, but I would say there is definitely room for improvement. The room was big enough with a king size bed, loads of storage, a fridge & a roomy balcony. The bathroom was a good size too and the shower was great, very powerful and hot. The bed was made and fresh towels every day, however some of the towels were well past their best with holes and fraying in some. The stairs leading from the room out to the pool/ courtyard were all in need of sweeping and washing, not done during our 2 weeks... The reception & bar are done in amazing bright colours, I really liked the decor. The restaurant was an experience and I was glad we were b&b only. 1 waiter was lovely & helpful, the other (taller of the 2) was dreadful, so rude. Breakfast itself was fine, all the usual stuff. Just be prepared the 1st day or 2 can be stressful in the scramble for bowls and spoons (both in short supply). The pool was great, but the sun loungers were really saggy and need to be replaced, some people had towels out as early as 7am!! Overall the staff were very helpful and friendly and we really felt we got value for money.

• Liked — The pool, the location
  • Disliked — The tall waiter who was so rude to everone
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Wales
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I returned from Mirachoro Praia today, overall it was a brilliant holiday and good value. I don't believe, however that this hotel is 4 star, i've experienced better 3 star hotels. The pool area is lovely, plenty of space and nice shaded areas. The rooms were clean however one morning the cleaners arrived quite early it was slightly inconvenient. Also although the rooms were kept clean, the stairways and corridors were quite dirty, however that doesn't spoil a holiday. One morning we had arranged to go on an excursion that left at 8.30, the breakfast is meant to start at 8 however was not opened until 8.15 and even then was not fully prepared. There wasnt a large variety of food, however chips and salad was provided every night for more fussy eaters.
The hill to the beach was quite steep and the pavements could be quite slippery so i wouldnt advise this hotel to wheelchair users or people with walking difficulties.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Arrived at around 10pm and was kindly given a meal as the restaurant was closed. I requested a room away from lifts/stairwells and they gave me exactly what I wanted. So far,so good.

The breakfasts were perfectly adequate, though (as with most hotels), juices, tea & coffee not brilliant.

Given that the hotel has quite a large outside area, you could really exploit the space,maybe with a shaded area, near the doors to the bar, a little more lawn around the pool etc.... The one thing which disappointed me was the lack of cleaning on the pool terraces and bits of rubbish lying around. The indoor pool was a bit dark and unwelcoming, so did'nt use it. Outdoor pool could have done with a paint and the children's pool was only 1/2 full-poor kids!!!! The one thing which bothered me was there was quite a few "older" ladies (should know better), who were topless around the pool. It's okay for the beach but not in a family hotel.

The bar prices were quite steep, 3 Euros for a Sprite!!! 1/2 litre of house wine 7.5 Euros. Take my advice and go to the Cafe Fino (right out of the hotel), or another nice bar (left, up the hill). A lovely restaurant first left up the hill, which does lovely sardines and piri piri chicken.

Food in the evening, again, was adequate. Usually 2 meat and 1 fish. Vegetables a bit overcooked but lovely fresh salad available. I did actually like the decor in the restaurant/bar and public areas, although, it did remind me more of Morocco.

Carvoeiro is pretty but very crowded. Prices in the Algarve are getting similar to the UK now so I would'nt visit this region again.

• Liked — The comfortable bed.
  • Disliked — Outside areas.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank notforturning
Devon
Reviewed June 21, 2008

We have just returned today from the Mirachora Praia Hotel having had a really good holiday. We stayed for 14 nights. The hotel is probably not a 4* hotel, don't get me wrong we had a fab time, the reception staff were very helpful, the rooms were quite spacious, the water at shower and bath time was always hot, the pool was a comfortable area (although cold at first!!), but I have to say that although the food was always very tasty it was difficult most of the time at breakfast if you go down at about 9am, there seems to be a shortage of cutlery and cups and saucers, we also did find one male member of staff in the dining room very impatient and quite rude when a problem arose (his attitude was, my name is on my badge if you want to complain, complain!) this attitude would certainly not be acceptable in England,but is not a reflection we found of other members of staff. If you are going half board, the food in the evening, again was very flavoursome, but monotonous.

The rooms were cleaned every day, towels changed, but I have to say that after 10 days I did have to ask to have the sheets on the bed changed!!. The air conditioning in the rooms is very effective and it was nice to have a fridge to keep water etc cool in. I would advise anyone staying at this hotel to take their own travel hair dryer, there is one in the bathroom but not very effective.

All in all we had a good holiday, fab weather which makes all the difference - Visit Bradys Bar whilst there, very friendly and good atmosphere.

• Liked — Hot water and comfortable bedrooms
  • Disliked — Change of bed linen infrequent
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends